Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Mixing a vivid green

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi WC,

I did some mixing the other day and thought I would share the results.

It is an interesting exercise to grab all the different blues and greens in your studio to see what kinds of green you can mix.

Here is the post:

How To Mix A Vivid Green[/URL]

Cheers!

Dan Scott

Gigalot

Manganese blue from AS is actually Phthalo Blue GS PB15:3 or equal.
        Pb15:3 + Lemon Yellow gives lovely green color. Phthalo Emerald PG36 + White can be even more gorgeous….

@Gigalot Thanks for the insight!

Dan

Gigalot

@Gigalot Thanks for the insight!

Dan

A very interesting green color I did when mixed PG36 Phthalo Emerald with some Aluminum powdered pigment. Lovely color, Dan! :)

WFMartin

How to mix a “vivid” green is an interesting request, actually.

Green is one of those colors whose chroma may actually exist in a mixture, rather than in a tubed form. I’m not positive about that, though, as some
                “Thalo Greens” are rather intense, and pure.

A more pure form of Orange can be found in a tube, rather than mixing one yourself, as can a more pure form of Violet. However, although I may be wrong, I believe that a slightly higher chroma of Green can be obtained by mixing one from the two primary colors of Cyan, and Yellow.

My choices for such a Green mixture would be the following:

For Cyan: Thalo Blue (PB15), Any brand
                For Yellow: Transparent Yellow (PY128), Winsor & Newton

These are both transparent colors, and they mix together to create an intensely dark, pure Green. When mixed with a bit of White, they burst into high chroma colors, that, when mixed together, create a high chroma Green.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Richard P

I think Phthalo Green (Yellow Shade) PG36 is the most chromatic green available as a pigment. Mixing with a green leaning transparent yellow would (I expect) give the most vivid yellow-green’s possible.

Pinguino

Gamblin’s (oils) “Manganese Blue Hue” is PB15:3 or 4 diluted with some kind of lightener. They also make an “Emerald Green” which is PG36 (they call this “Phthalo Emerald”) to which has been added a touch of yellow and white.

These greens, and many other high-chroma colors, are outside the gamut of computer screens, particularly consumer LCD screens. Only a few high-end devices can get close. So, whatever you see on screen, is not the real color. In fact, an un-calibrated LCD straight green (R=0, G=max, B=0) leans yellow, just as an un-calibrated red leans orange, and an un-calibrated blue leans cyan.

I’m trying to mix a bright , vivid purple. All i get is mud…Help!

Gigalot

I’m trying to mix a bright , vivid purple. All i get is mud…Help!

1. Ultramarine Blue RS + Quinacridone Magenta PR122.
                            2. Cobalt Blue deep PB74 + Quinacridone Magenta
                            3. Dioxazine Violet PV23 + Quinacridone Magenta

Manganese Violet PV16 is a single pigment paint.

Ellen E

That link only took me to a page wanting my email and suggesting a free 5 class course. I didn’t see anything about mixing a vivid green. Is that the right link?

Manganese blue from AS is actually Phthalo Blue GS PB15:3 or equal.
                                Pb15:3 + Lemon Yellow gives lovely green color. Phthalo Emerald PG36 + White can be even more gorgeous….

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought.. damm let me see if I guess how many posts before Gigalot is attracted by the word green without Pthalo as an adjective to it :P

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.