Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Homemade Pastels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    autolisp

I’m new to pastels and have two questions that I hope someone will be able answer. I want to make some pastels. I don’t want to invest in lots of pigment that may never get used. Could I use tubes of watercolour paints I have or could I also use poster paint (ready mixed)? Does anyone know of a ‘Homemade Fixative’ recipe and method of application?

Thank you
        autolisp

I'm not a new member. But the database thinks I am!

lumiere33

there are recipes to make soft pastels on the internet. I’ve tried several times but stopped as my pastels were alwyas too hard. I invested a lot in the ingredients.
            as for a fixative, I don’t think anyone has a recipe, except Quentin de La Tour and he died several centuries ago without revealing his secret….;

chuas2

Hi autolisp,
                My teacher makes pastels but uses high grade pigments for them. I think there are oils and other additives in ready made paints that wouldn’t allow them to be made into pastels. There’s really not much that goes into fine quality pastels, just pigment and some sort of binder.

As for fixative, I use 1/4 cup NONFAT milk mixed with 70% alcohol, applied with a PreVal sprayer. This is absolutely the best, non toxic, dries without spotting. But the PreVal is important, since it sprays a super fine mist. This is the basis for SpectraFix, which is a casein based formula.
                Chuas

sketchZ1ol

hello
                    try this link :
                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/11/293/

if , for some reason , it doesn’t work ,
                    go to the Content Area on the toolbar at the top of the page ,
                    click and scroll down .
                    > fifth item down is Article Index , click that and scroll to Pastels .
                    you should find Making Handmade Pastels .

some folks make their own custom colours
                    with their stubbies and/or their broken bits/collected tray dust ;
                    grind them to powder , add water a bit at a time and shape a new stick .

be sure to take the precautions that are mentioned in the article .

Ed :}

a different world cannot be made with indifference

autolisp

chuas2. Thank you for the reply. I know there is Glycerin in watercolour paint in tubes. I’m not sure there is any oil in them though. I guess I will just have a go and see what happens. I like the fixative recipe. Is the alcohol Vodka or other spirit drink, or could I use Isopropanol instead? How long does it store unused for?

sketchZ1ol. Thanks for the link. It does make the homemade pastel idea feasable.

lumiere33. That is the trap I did not want to fall into. I get into enough trouble at home without compounding the evidence!

autolisp

chuas2

Autolisp, I’ve never used anything except 70% Isopropyl alcohol. The woman I got this recipe from also only uses Isopropyl, although there’s nothing that says you couldn’t try other kinds of alcohol.

I mix up a new batch every week unless I’ve used it up. And the milk has to be very fresh, or it curdles. If the weather’s cool I keep it in my studio. If it’s hot out, I put it in the refrigerator when I’m not using it, but it doesn’t tend to go bad quickly.

Hey and as for the pastels, try it! Maybe you’ll make oil pastels! :)
                            Chuas

sketchZ1ol

hello
                                if you like the milk=casein idea , invest in an airbrush package .
                                > less money in the long run ,less garbage than empty compressed air containers
                                and the machining for the nozzles is more exact and durable .

i haven’t tried stripping down dried watercolour/oil tubes
                                and then using the chunks like pastel …
                                an interesting idea , but doesn’t sound practical for
                                isolated mass-production .

Ed :}

a different world cannot be made with indifference

jeaneade2001

Chuas, I like your fixative formula, I must try it. I did get some Spectrafix, I made enquiries at a little art supply store about an hour away from here, I asked if she could find out if there was any stockist in Australia and she actually imported some in for me … Which worked out a bit expensive by the time she put her markup onto it, and I added the Vodka. I could have imported it cheaper myself with our dollar the value it is against yours, but I felt obliged to buy some after she went to the trouble. Nice fixative, but yours would cedrtainly be cheaper. Thanks for the tip.

Jean :cat:
                                    SSB

Watercolors sometimes have clove oil and or other essential oils that may not be good in pastel, as well as flow agent, dispersant, humectant etc. But still you could try…

One thing about the remaking of crumbs is that those crumbs already contain all the “additives”, maybe just some chalk or clay maybe more. I think some earths can be formed with absolutely nothing more than itself, but any synthetic (which includes most earths today) will need additional ingredients.

I think the way most people do it is by making a master batch of “additive” and then adjusting the amounts for special needs pigments, like the linked article states. Alan Flatmann’s book has I think the same recipe.

autolisp

This is turning out to be a great thread. Lots of interesting suggestions. Thank you everyone

autolisp

Colorix

Considering that watercolour dries into cakes that are very hard and brittle, considering the binder in them is gum Arabic, I don’t think they’d make good pastels.

After all, they do have the same pigments in them, so the reason they behave differently is what is added to the pigments. Well, you might try to extract the pigment from the wc…

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog

autolisp

As for fixative, I use 1/4 cup NONFAT milk mixed with 70% alcohol, applied with a PreVal sprayer.

Would that be a 25% milk + 75% Isopropanol?

Thank you
                                                    autolisp

Deborah Secor

Pastels use gum tragacanth as a binder. Gum Arabic is much harder, as Charlie mentioned. Pigments are very expensive. Some people have tried using clay or natural earth, but it isn’t “clean”. You’d have to screen it very fine or you’d have chunks in the stick.

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                                                        Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                                                        Gouache Blog

JPQ

I understanded some pastels even use other binders. Becouse one brands says is impossible make stick form one pigment and i know another one which uses this pigment not in pure but with little amount ivory black but still. etc. I think there is no big reason make them itself expect if you really need some extremely weird/rare colours. i have ideas few but i cannot make them…

autolisp

chuas2. I made up some fixative using non-fat (skimmed milk) with Isopropanol. It did not make a very good emulsion, the milk seemed to form very tiny pieces in the liquid. However. I did spray it using a ‘hand perfume’ pump type sprayer. So the ‘bits must have passed through the nozzle. Is this what I should expect?

Thank you
                                                                autolisp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Homemade Pastels’ is closed to new replies.