WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States
Question Colors you’d spend more for

What color/pigment would you spend more for for a better quality paint? Say for instance in acrylic I’ve read Lascaux has more pigment than a lot of brands and I’m sure the same applies to certain oil and watercolors.

ETA, Conversely, any colors or pigments that you’d be ok skimping in. I’ve Seen recommended that titanium white is a strong enough pigment that you tend to use enough of that you might even buy student grade paints in it.

Last edited by Cadfaeltex : 05-25-2019 at 03:59 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 05:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Colors you’d spend more for

I'd spend more to get better yellows because the organic ones I often/always use get dominated in tinting strength by other colors, as well as lacking coverage/opacity. Especially in acrylics. For me, better here means higher pigment load, not necessarily a different or more expensive pigment. Yellow is the one color I've never yet found to be satisfactory in student acrylics.

Next most important for me, to spend more on, to step up in quality, is Titanium White. Not because of tinting strength or opacity reasons, but to get the better, thicker, denser working feel and brushstroke retention. Especially important because white is used in a lot of places, and in the upper highlight parts, which are most prominent in the finished work.

To skimp, buy in lower-grade: single-pigment Phthalo colors. They are especially nasty in oils. The less needed, the better.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

"Better quality" is not always measured in pigment load, at least for oils (especially the transparent colors). I think in terms of consistency, predictability, and uniformity.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 12:18 AM
Southern NJ

Hails from United States

At some point I'll buy some Michael Harding or Blue Ridge Flake White lead. Most of my current studies are low-chroma so bright pure pigments are less of an issue. "Better quality" studio paints with single pigments do fine for high values and low-values when mixed towards the neutral-ish grays. But for some passages lead might be better than inexpensive titanium for mixing.

Gamblin and Williamsburg mix true Munsell Neutral Grays straight from the tube.

Last edited by Ted Bunker : 05-26-2019 at 12:21 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 AM
Enthusiast

With Acrylics you can paint white over the area you want a yellow in and then yellow over the top.

In terms of using yellow as a mixing colour, then yes I get the problems..
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Favorite colors and colors that I want/expect to use a lot of, that have a lower tinting strength than my strongest colors. Ultramarine blue is the best example of this. I am sure it would also apply to some yellows, and dark transparent reds where I'd like the darks to be accessible without layering (quinacridone magenta is my favorite and I should thus show it favoritism).

Colors that vary widely in hue and I want my favorite hue of, which might be more brand-specific than more consistent pigments, and I'd pay a premium to hit the bullseye. The teal/turquoise versions of cobalt PG50 and PB28 (which are more expensive pigments anyway). Earth colors like raw umber (which isn't, so I'd be a little more cautious in paying too much).

Rare colors that intrigue me and I only have one or two options for what to pay anyway. PB17 pthalo cyan, Potter's Pink in either acrylics or pigment dispersion form. Whether I'd pay this premium multiple times is a different question.

White, because even if I moved fully to watercolor style ... there are still things like 'good paper' and 'masking fluid' that would mean I'd be spending on white. Outside that, it is a handy tool indeed and I see much advice to get a good-quality white, so I likely will at times.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Just for pure curiosity, and academic reasons, I might like to try an oil paint whose color plotted closer to true Cyan, a primary color, than anything that exists at present. To date, Thalo Blue (PB15) is about as close to being true Cyan as anything that is available, but something closer to true Cyan would definite spark my interest.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 AM
Southern NJ

Hails from United States

It's remarkable how few stable Blue pigments there are for oils and watercolors; Ultramarine, Prussian, Cerulean, Cobalt and Phthalo covers most of the range. Yinmn Blue isn't readily available ...yet.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Regardless of medium, yellow. Specifically a more opaque, bright, green leaning one; also an orange leaning one of high pigment loading that is transparent. These are two colors that if the pigment is suboptimal in regards to these specific qualities to each, the results I desire are practically impossible (in regards of potential hues when mixed with every other color on my palette and handling of the paint itself).

I also pay more for a blue with the characteristics I like as well, lower green reflectance, higher opacity. Currently the closest I can get is a cobalt blue deep (or dark), but it’s mixing strength is rather weak. YinMn blue may get still be a long way from becoming affordable unfortunately, and until it does we are stuck with what we have had for a very long time now.

Delofasht