WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: J.Herbin inks

Yes good thinking VA.De Attrametis inks do get a lot of good things said about them although they are very expensive & when I tried the their brown I hated the super red base of it & the total lack of vibrancy.I couldn't justify the expense to take experimentation any further through mixing ! PLUS remember these are all waterproof inks so are no good for Magdalenes' working technique.
One artist who uses inks in a number of different ways & has published her findings for decades is Jamie Williams Grossman ,here she is on Noodlers but dig around in that blog archive there are more tests-
https://hudsonvalleysketches.blogspo...-noodlers.html

There is something else I feel I should bring up here on the subject of permanent inks -Often you will see ink being sold as permanent & it will say "it meets the international standard board organisation tests as being declared permanent. STOP RIGHT THERE ! those standards are for the purposes of signing legal documents etc. - It means that one with ill intent can not bleach, use a UV. lamp or chemicals etc to erase a signature or amount of money beyond recognition. It was not written for artists & their interests it means next to nothing to us!
For many years lot's of artists have struggled with this with say, ballpoint pens when artists make a gloriously subtly toned masterpiece over a few weeks only to see the lighter toned parts of it fade into invisability in the same time or an ink wash do the same Well it wasn't intended for that purpose nor do the standards they proudly display ever think it would be used diluted.
Even products made & specifically sold for artists - many paints (of all kinds), inks,pens,colour pencils etc. vary widely in their claimed lightfastness or waterproofness etc. There is no official body regulating or testing this at all !
There are moves to set up a internationally recognised scheme on these standards but it is proving hard to come into being.
For now, best is to test them yourself , - use a long established & well known brand -usually OK. but it does vary or worst of all cross your fingers & hope for the best
As an artist if you want to know whether an ink or even a paint is lightfast , then try it yourself -if it remains OK. in a full sun window for a couple of months you are doing well, if it goes 5 or 6 months without visibly changing that is the best possible.
Mike
Mike
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2019, 09:59 PM

Hails from Australia

Thanks so very much Pedlar's pen and Van Andrew for your very welcome advice. I am going to look into all the suggestions you have made. I also wondered if anyone ever tried to preserve ink that is not that lightfast by painting over it with acrylic matte medium or acrylic varnish, matte of course as I doubt it will look very nice over pen and ink if it's glossy somehow. I had some copic pens somewhere.. maybe I should change to copic pens and do the washes in watercolours. That should solve all problems But as to the ones I had already done I might varnish them or something like that.

I also wondered.. nobody mentioned private reserve water soluble ink. Also not lightfast?? I was looking at some Arthur Rackham illustrations this morning and I had to wonder.. what did those early illustrators use as ink that their illustrations are still so good? Anybody know??

Last edited by MagdaleneL : 05-27-2019 at 10:07 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Both Indian ink , & especially Higgins mostly. It HAD to be very black because the printing method demanded it back in the day.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 PM

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedlars pen
Both Indian ink , & especially Higgins mostly. It HAD to be very black because the printing method demanded it back in the day.

Thanks very much Pedlar's pen I appreciate that.