Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life Amaryllis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    zhm

my first post so hope I do this correctly….

20″x16″ oil on canvas….starting to get interested in some still life work…comments/critiques welcome

Wow! Superior work! Nice style, also.

zhm

Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate the feedback! I never know how real artists will regard my stuff. It is hard to gage comments from from friends and family since they are usually too nice and sometimes don’t have an artistic eye. Of course, their feedback is somewhat representative of the general public, right?

I am playing with a different style here for sure. It’s all fun!

Dcam
                bobbymac
                    zhm

Thanks Dcam and Bob! I really appreciate your comments.

Welcome zhm! Your work is beautiful! The red amaryllis sets the tone for orchids and calla lilies, then the more mundane objects are seen. A most excellent composition and painting! Hope to see more.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

zhm

Thank you, KreativeK! Appreciate the comments/compliment. It is so hard to know if one’s work is good and this forum certainly provides valuable feedback. I never know how my work will be received but I will say that if I enjoy looking at it then that’s good enough for me. Some paintings or drawings hold my attention while some I get bored with after a while.

I was concerned about the composition and number of elements but my eye wanders around each part which is a good thing, at least to my eye. I don’t usually do such complex compositions but am trying a new style.

Nice to be here and thank you! I will post more recent compositions soon. Rick

Jon

Welcome.
                                You have done well!
                                My only concern is how the knife blade keeps taking my eye away from the rest of the painting.
                                Beautiful blooms!

Johndk

Welcome zhm.

I know nothing about oils, but I can recognise a good art piece. This is well painted. Hope we see more.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

PatrickE

The onion is nicely done and the technique is good. Love the fabric folds too; I’m a big fan of including fabric in a still life. I’d just offer a comment about the composition along the lines of the ‘knife’ comment earlier. I’m wondering what the focal point is (where do you want to send the viewers eye, or how should the painting “read”). The lines are very strong up and down, and typically one would try to get some strong diagonals going and use the ‘rule of thirds’ more. Can’t wait for the next one.
                                        -Patrick

zhm

Where does your eye take you?

The fabric and shadow on the wall on the left should bring your eye down then the egg, onion takes you over horizontally then either the Amaryllis gets your attention or perhaps the lilies or orchids. I was going for a Fibonacci design.

My eye notices the fabric first then bounces around. I usually land on the orchids.

I appreciate the questions because it helps my future compositions. Yes, this one has many elements no doubt. Would love to hear more comments on how it reads.

zhm

Sorry for the consecutive posts but I wanted to comment on the knife element and placement please.

I wanted to break up the long horizontal line of the red support (red leather chair) and show a shadow to give it dimension. I also wanted to see if I could paint a knife! haha But I also wanted to ask the viewer to contemplate a knife (threatening, aggressive, hard steel) juxtaposed with delicate flowers (beauty, serenity). Does this say anything to you?

AllisonR

The various white items pop, being surrounded by all the rich saturated reds and blues. Very nice. I like the daring angle of the knife pointing right at us, makes the composition interesting.

Fix the drip going down the far right side. And what is the white object next to the flowerpot, a candle? Doesn’t read well and is awkward. The fabric folds are overall pleasing, but some of them are too pointy and stiff, the folds should be more smooth, subtle, curving gently, not hard angles – it is fabric, not metal.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                                    zhm

Excellent feedback, AllisonR! I appreciate it. The knife is controversial in this picture which is has done its job.

The fabric is a stiff, shiny polyester material ergo some sharp folds but I get your comment here. Yes, that is supposed to be a candle. Perhaps I should substitute that reads better.

Another artist commented that I should incorporate the background wall better in the overall composition by throwing light masses across the wall onto the chair and then onto the right side wall. I think she makes a good point, your thoughts?

Rick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.