Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Tarot deck – a learning project – 379 paintings complete, in progress!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Julian Jaymes

So I’m working on painting my own Tarot deck, and while I had tried using various other media (colored pencil, watercolor markers), what I’ve come to settle on is pen and ink and watercolor. I have been wanting to learn watercolor for many years but just always felt that “only people with REAL talent can do watercolor.” (I don’t consider myself talented per se, just a hardworking student.)

But once I tried it, I found it actually pretty intuitive and the results were awesome, even before I had good supplies. I’m thrilled so far and just…really happy to be painting. :) I feel like “this is my medium!”, like I’ve found something that was always meant to be part of my artistic practice but I had just never tried it.

I did all the pen-and-ink outlines on Canson XL watercolor paper, before I knew better. >_<; The more I'm learning (YouTube, Skillshare, etc), the more I realize I REALLY should have invested in real paper from day 1 - if only because glazing/layering is really important (well duh) and between the paper and my habit of erasing on it, I don't have that option anymore. Most of these, between the inherent characteristics of the paper and my erasing, have had the surface messed up enough that I can't layer a new layer on top without losing any details painted below. Really frustrating. However, I do intend to keep pushing forward, and my next deck of cards/illustrations (an oracle deck) will be on Arches. Promise. :) Here, without further ado, are the first 3 paintings in the series, and the info on them: Paints: Mijello Mission Gold and M Graham Artist's Watercolors. Paper: Canson XL Cold Pressed 140lb Watercolor Paper Size: 9 x 12 inches Reference: Imagination Comments on the 8 of Wands: This is the first one I painted in, though not the first one I inked. In keeping with the synchronistic/random spirit of Tarot, I am choosing "which one do I paint next" by drawing a card at random from another deck and painting the corresponding one in my deck. The actual painted one has a slightly darker sky, but I chose to lighten it slightly in Photoshop so that the birds overhead would stand out more. Comments on the 9 of Pentacles: This one took a good 8 hours which is a lot for me! I wanted each of the characters to be unique, without taking away from the focus on the central figure. So I had to play with skin tones and details a lot. Comments on the World: Presented in two versions, the actual painting and the final (edited in Photoshop) image. The only thing I really changed, though, was to lighten the clouds. I feel I totally overdid the contrast on those clouds, and as I'm working on VERY cheap paper, I wasn't able to go over with any kind of glaze over them without losing the crisp details. Fortunately, this is an illustration project, rather than generating 79 saleable paintings, so I was able to edit it a bit. Other than that, though, I feel good about this one. All in all I'm really excited about continuing this project. I know I posted about it ages ago but I feel like I've narrowed down the materials I'll be using, and all the inking is done so it's time to just get to work! :) Thanks for looking. Any tips on dealing with this paper (other than "just redraw everything on Arches" because I CANNOT) would be very welcome, as would any other constructive tips. Obviously, as an illustrator I want this project to go well, so your suggestions may help it to do better in the end! :) ~Julian

Comic artist, illustrator, watercolor newbie, art supply junkie.

Art blog: http://julianjaymes.com
        Read my comic online!: http://julianjaymes.com/sidelines

Julian Jaymes

PS – I edited the original post to add a nudity warning – do you think it needs it? I think for the World card (the nude woman superimposed over the Earth) does need a warning, but I don’t know. I feel like “anime art” illustrations get flagged as explicit more often than realistic nude studies, but that’s a discussion for another day…

Comic artist, illustrator, watercolor newbie, art supply junkie.

Art blog: http://julianjaymes.com
            Read my comic online!: http://julianjaymes.com/sidelines

Julian,
            You’ve set yourself an amazing project and are moving along really well. I’m not versed in tarot cards, so no comment on the designs.

I think your use of pen and ink for the drawing finished with watercolors is working well. I agree Canson paper isn’t the best, but you seem to be doing OK handling it.

When you finish the cards, you need to preserve them so they don’t accidentally get wet and run. You can use Dorland’s Wax Medium as a finish and preservative.

I think adding the nudity warning was a good move, even though only one card seems to have nudity on it.

Sylvia

Ellen E

Beautiful start to a Tarot deck. I agree with Sylvia—it’s a monumental task to do a whole Tarot deck. I read the cards, but since I’m not into anime, it’s a little difficult to critique the work. I think it’s wonderful, though, just from the standpoint of Tarot. I might be able to critique better if you could supply the names of each card, though. Other than the World card, I’m not sure what the other two cards are.

I’ve been less brave. I’m working on a watercolor Lenormand deck. I thought 36 cards would be less daunting a task than the 78 of a Tarot deck. Once I’ve completed the Lenormand, I’ll do a Kipper deck.

I hope you go on ahead with this project to its finish.

Coming back to ask—what will your 79th card be? Since Tarot consists of 78 cards usually, I’m interested to know what the 79th card will represent.

Harold Roth

Cool stuff, Julian! So great to hear about people doing tarot decks! A watercolor Lenormand sounds wonderful. I have been planning on doing a deck for a while based on land forms and plants, and although I have made a lot of notes about it, I haven’t actually DONE anything. You folks inspire me to start working on it.

Kaylen

good job,,, Tarot cards are not my thing , but I like your compositions and your values , very effective

Kaylen Savoie
                        https://www.savoieartist.com/
                        At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Very good work but I think that you have to change paper before you proceed to the next illustration. Inking on a CP surface is not the easier thing can someone do.

Tarot is my thing, as I am obsessed with the illustrations on Tarot decks. I think that it is really difficult for anyone to make 79 illustration that will have to have a very consistent style. Not to mention that it needs a lot of work to figure out what each and every illustration will show, according to the tradition of the Tarot decks on each and every card.

So to conclude. I think that your first illustrations look really good and show the style that your tarot cards are going to have. Just change paper and I from my side I’ll be looking forward to see the rest.

Keep on. :thumbsup: :)

Do any of you know of a digital photo printing service that will create a card deck out of your artwork? And not expensive?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/09-Dec-2019/1985576-signature_images_b.jpg
                        [FONT="Comic Sans Ms"]websites | [FONT="Comic Sans Ms"]sketchbook

clode

Great job…colors values…beautiful……. i like these…

http://aquableu32.fr/wp[/url]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.