Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting From a Computer Monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone, I’m new here so forgive me if this issue has already been addressed; the sheer volume of the forums is a bit intimidating.

I paint almost exclusively from photographs, specifically digital photographs and I always paint from a hi-res computer monitor.

Does anyone else work from a monitor?

The reason I ask is because I feel like it has an effect on the finished work. Not in a bad way necessarily, because I like my work, but the fact that the image I’m working from isn’t reflected light but rather luminous light seems to be influencing my color choices, shapes, and the final results.

Has anyone else noticed this? What do you think of the results? How are they different from working from a photograph or from life?

For a little more background, I work in a more or less direct painting method (though I do allow some shadow areas to be thin and and layered in order to capture some of the visual benefits of indirect painting).

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

oCDs01-711

Good question, cowboywerewolf,

I was wondering that myself, regarding the luminous light. This should be a really good thread!

Shirley:clap:

There are three classes of people: Those who see. Those who see when shown. Those who do not see. --Leonardo da Vinci

mariposa-art

I work mostly from a tablet, and just starting doing so about 6-8 months ago. I can’t say I notice a difference in how my colors turn out—I have been trying out new methods, so that has to be taken into account too.

I’ve done a few pieces in this same time frame from prints, and I don’t think there was a difference (to others or to myself) in the final product. I do think that since the tablet allows me to zoom in and really observe the details and colors, in a way that is impossible with prints, that I’m better off with the tablet. But if I had to go back to prints, I guess I would manage. ;)

It’s also worth noting that I also do some work from life, not as much as from photos (since models who will pose live are more expensive ;) ) but I don’t think there’s a HUUUUUUGE difference in quality, other than the kind of difference that we all know exists in photos (of any type) vs. life.

Shannon Expat

One of the instructors at the atelier I go to commented on a landscape painting in the attached gallery, she said she suspected it was done with an iPad to zoom in details so the result is that the painting is kind of done in sections instead of as a whole. She could tell, I couldn’t, but then I was only painting for a few months at the time.

mariposa-art:

What sized tablet? I use a 24″ monitor and have it set up about a foot from my canvas. It’s nice being able to zoom in and have the area in the image the same size as the equivalent area on the canvas. How do you have your tablet set up?

I guess what I’m getting at as far as color is that since I’m trying to recreate a luminous color with non-luminous paints, that it has an influence on how I choose colors. Sort of like if you have to paint the sun in the background of a plein air piece: you need to come up with a color that best replicates something that is actually impossible to truly replicate.

Though, as I said, I don’t mind the results. In a broader sense I find it interesting that this is the first generation to be influenced this way since the technology simply didn’t exist 20 years ago.

I’m also wondering if other people working from a monitor enjoy the effects, even if they are subtle.

One of the instructors at the atelier I go to commented on a landscape painting in the attached gallery, she said she suspected it was done with an iPad to zoom in details so the result is that the painting is kind of done in sections instead of as a whole. She could tell, I couldn’t, but then I was only painting for a few months at the time.

Do you think the reason for this was that the level of detail (the resolution) was too consistent?

For example, if you’re working from a still life or a landscape or whatever, you’re usually doing it from one spot. The way our eyes interpret detail is influenced by our location in that things that are closer are more detailed, things that are farther are less detailed. Plus, since our vision is steroscopic, the closer something is, the more of the three-dimensionality we see. A digital photo doesn’t necessarily have this issue.

Is working from a monitor just too consistently high resolution? If so, rather than fight it, I could see it creating a type of hyper-realism that could be very fun to explore.

Alan P. in OC

I tried working from a monitor for about 2 weeks. It was hell on earth.

The monitor emitted light, the paint and painting reflect light. Big difference.

While I was matching colors to the monitor, unless I had the paint splotch exactly the same distance away from the light, and the monitor was exactly the same distance from my eyes, it was an exercise in futility.

Think about it; you’re trying to match a color on the monitor. you mix up paint, and then what? Compare it to the monitor. The light emitting from the monitor screws this up, and if your color looks like it matches, 1 inch closer to your light source, it’s too bright, 1 inch further away from your light source and it’s too dark. Well, which is it? Impossible to tell, like trying to match colors to a light bulb.

I get my source photos professionally developed, they come out looking just like my photoshopped source photos, and I literally put paint on them to match color. It’s a perfect solution to matching color to a source photo.

Alan P. in OC:

I don’t disagree that that’s a major issue. In my case, however, I’ve been doing it so long that it doesn’t really matter anymore.

Part of how I get around it is through the idea of “contextual color” rather than “objective color”… I don’t try to match the color on the screen, but rather capture the “feeling” of the color in the context of the colors around it. I ask myself “is this color warmer or cooler than the colors next to it, redder or bluer or greener, etc.

I used to try matching the color exactly but, as you said, it was an exercise in futility.

My new approach, however, seems to have remedied that… well… remedied it in a way that I’m personally happy with at any rate.

I was afraid of posting my website because I don’t want to spam the forum, but at this point, it seems relevant to the conversation. Here’s my site:

http://www.joegranski.com

If you didn’t already know, would you be able to tell that I worked from a monitor rather than a photo? (I’m sure any experienced painter can tell that I don’t work from life)

Anonymous

I can adlib and paint from a monitor, but if you are talking about strict copying, there are some issues, Alan is right about the light problem. Monitors also have limited ability to reproduce color. They only have red, green, and blue lights to work with and although they can do a large gamut, it is still significantly limited.
                        I have never been happy with any image on a monitor screen of my paintings.
                        There are always some colors that are off, or not what they really are in real life. I have seen lots and lots of paintings in real life, but the reproductions online can range from almost ok to awful.
                        You can still paint a nice painting, colors are so variable and forgiving, they look good even when they are off, values are maybe more important to be right.
                        So though I will work from anything at one time or another, computer, photos, drawings, imagination, and I have copied several paintings from the original paintings, imo and for me, real life rules.

Shannon Expat

Do you think the reason for this was that the level of detail (the resolution) was too consistent?.

yes, that is exactly what she objected to. It was that in the landscape the distance was too detailed, too crisp.

I can adlib and paint from a monitor, but if you are talking about strict copying, there are some issues, Alan is right about the light problem. Monitors also have limited ability to reproduce color. They only have red, green, and blue lights to work with and although they can do a large gamut, it is still significantly limited.

In fairness those are the only colors our eyes see as well (tone and color are separate systems)… Our eyes only have receptors for the red, blue and green parts of the light spectrum, though we do have millions of them.

This is actually the main reason we use RGB technology: it is an approximation of how our eyes actually work.

To support your underlying point, though, we have many more receptors than even the best screens do so the the number of colors a monitor can display is significantly fewer than what our eyes can perceive.

As a tangential side note: I STRONGLY reccomend the book Vision and Art: The Biology of Seeing by Margaret Livingstone. It explains how the neurology of vision works in the context of art. It’s a must-read for any artist who wants to really control the message their art communicates.

J Miller

I can’t tell you worked from a monitor rather than a photo print. Some look like you may have worked from your imagination as well, especially the ones like “Tank Girl” and “Daniel”.

I think the colors work quite well in any case.

Jim

yes, that is exactly what she objected to. It was that in the landscape the distance was too detailed, too crisp.

I’ve heard numerous experienced visual artists belittled as “beginners” or “inexperienced” because of “all-over-detail”, yet Van Eyck, Bosch, Vermeer, and numerous other “Masters” created convincing aerial perspective, while keeping detailed, sharp backgrounds.

The very same people who make these criticisms, will–often in the same breath–then declare that there are no rules in art.

There aren’t.

Do what you will.

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
                                http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
                                Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

WFMartin

[color=”teal]I’ve heard numerous experienced visual artists belittled as “beginners” or “inexperienced” because of “all-over-detail”, yet Van Eyck, Bosch, Vermeer, and numerous other “Masters” created convincing aerial perspective, while keeping detailed, sharp backgrounds.

The very same people who make these criticisms, will–often in the same breath–then declare that there are no rules in art.

There aren’t.

Do what you will.[/color]

Well stated!

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Painting From a Computer Monitor’ is closed to new replies.