Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture Portraiture Forum Library Archives September-October 2014 Portrait Challenge!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Everyone

We have a new Portrait Challenge for you all! :clap:

Here are some shots of the same model — the lovely Janine — in the same pose, but from different angles. There is a variety here, with some closer up for a nice face portrait, and some with more of her body showing.

So, feel free to use whatever medium you choose, and we love WIP shots, showing your progress as you work — if you would like to show them. Whatever you choose. Please share your portraits of Janine here! :D

Janine is one of the best models in our city (Ottawa, Canada) and is also a wonderful and interesting woman.

Cheers, Lauren
        https://www.facebook.com/LaurenFosterMacLeod/
        Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lauren.fosterm/

Turpintine45

Lauren these are great photos I may have a go. Thanks for starting this.

Jen

C & c's always welcome

tommie

Are these photos copyright free, in that I mean, if i paint from one of these as a reference, can i legally sell it?

OK

Wow six beautiful photos of a stunning model :thumbsup:! Thanks so much for organising this Lauren I’ll definitely be joining in :D

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                    — Allen Ginsberg
                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

OK

A quick pencil sketch to get to know the Model.

Probably wont use a profile for the painting but wanted to get to know her silhouette.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                        — Allen Ginsberg
                        PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Will

Through i never draw from photo, while i can’t stop drawing once i saw these wonderful photos, It’s Rembrandt light! Tiny drawing 7*11. enjoy!
                            [ATTACH]815898[/ATTACH]

Will

Everyone

Dave — lovely drawing of Janine! So glad that she inspired you! :clap:

Caravaggi0: Very nice work — thanks for posting your drawing! :thumbsup:

tommie: I took the photos, and I have no problem with you doing whatever you choose with your artwork that uses them as reference. If you want, you can credit me for the original reference — but you don’t have to. My full name is Lauren Foster-MacLeod. :D

Cheers, Lauren

tommie

Thank you Lauren!

Everyone

Here is the drawing I did of Janine when she posed for us last month. Done over two weeks, so a total of about 4 – 5 hours.

I’m not pleased with the likeness, so look forward to doing a closer portrait of her in this challenge. Also, sorry for the grey blob in the white area — something my camera is doing. I need to learn how to Photoshop it out.

Cheers, Lauren

*Deirdre*

Couldn’t resist this one…I’m supposed to be painting a landscape in oils for a course I’m doing…shhhh!

Very quick, for me, in sanguine white & black pastels…

Lauren…I think you did get her likeness, and the soooo relaxed pose, beautifully done!

Caravaggi0 – very fine drawing skills!

Dave – great sketch, looking forward to the other one as well.

[FONT="Tahoma"]Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!) Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
                                            [/COLOR] [

ajkon

Some good work here, this is my attempt.

Everyone

Nice drawing, Ajkon! :clap:

Cheers, Lauren

Dea

Nice drawings everyone.
                                                        I did this yesterday, I hope to get time to have a go at it in pastel soon, feel free to comment.
                                                        Deanna

Deanna Field

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.

OK

As it’s nearly the end of the month I thought that if I was going to continue with this challenge I’d better get started. Following on from the profile drawing here is a painting, as everyone else has used this photo I though I would also.

Lauren suggested doing a WIP so this is how I went about it.

First I toned the whole of the white board with Raw Umber and then lifted out the lights with a brush and rag dampened with Turps, then I rubbed some blue into the Raw Umber to produce the green background.
                                                            No1

Next I started adding colour with Raw Umber being the predominate colour toned with Blue, Raw Sienna, Vermilion, Black and White.
                                                            No2

Continuing to adjust the drawing tone and colour relationships especially the play of warm and cool.
                                                            No3

That’s it for now still plenty to do.
                                                            No4

There is still another month to go so will probably work on it again though I usually work wet into wet so not sure if I will continue.

— Allen Ginsberg

mringey

Dave, you’ve really gotten the features down well (especially the eyes). Great tonal structuring and interplay of warm and cools! The only thing I would adjust is the edge between her forehead and hair (harsher than the other edges). This is beautiful!

I saw this post and really, really hope to find the time to do some sketches and/or painting because I love the structure of her face. I’m impressed with all of the previous posts so far!!

Melissa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.