Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing artograph flare 150 Digital projector questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lpaint22

I have a large painting I need to do and figured it would be easier to project my drawing onto the canvas instead of griding it out. I am looking for a digital projector that is not terribly expensive to buy for this task. It will need to be able to take an image off a USB thumbdrive since I will scan the drawing in sections and input from a thumbdrive. I looked at the Autograph flare 150 (*which is the LG PH150). I have some questions that I hope someone might be able to answer.

1) The unit is listed at 150 lumens……is this enough light to project an image at about 8 feet high?
        2) resolution seems high enough……will the image be good enough to get the main lines (don’t care about detail) drawn quickly?
        3) any other feedback will be appreciated

contumacious

There are so many digital projectors out there it is difficult to determine which ones will work best for art use without actually seeing them in action.

With just a quick look, it seems like the Artograph series are perhaps a bit over priced for what you get. A 3200 lumen projector can be had for under $300. That is over 20 times brighter vs a 150 lumen Artograph unit. The nifty grids, color to black and white, etc look cool on the Artograph, but you can replicate most of them easily in Photoshop in real time just like on the Artograph.

Unless the tricks included with the Artograph are a must have or you can’t figure out how to duplicate them in software such as Photoshop, I would suggest you compare the features and see what you can get in a regular non “art” projector that will be brighter and cost you less money.

[*]Lumens
              [*]Closest Focus Distance
              [*]Keystone and other perspective correction adjustments
              [*]Light intensity adjustment
              [*]Remote Functions
              [*]Ability to read from memory cards / sticks, etc.
              [*]”Short Throw” focus (Some won’t focus at smaller sizes, make sure that the smallest image size it can project will meet your needs. Some cheap projectors won’t go less than about 30 inches.)
              [*]Tripod Mount (pretty important to line things up with your canvas.)

——————————————–
            Best projector under $300-2017

Name
            Key Specs
            Full Review

1. ViewSonic PJD5153

3200 lumen; SVGA DLP; 15,000:1 contrast ratio

Read me!

2. Optoma S316

3200 lumen; SVGA DLP; 20,000:1 contrast ratio

Read me!

3. Taotaole T72

3000 lumen; HD LCD; 20,000:1 contrast ratio

Read me!

4. Epson VS240

3000 lumen; SVGA LCD; 15,000:1 contrast ratio

Read me!

5. BenQ MS524A

3300 lumen; SVGA; 13,000:1 contrast ratio

Read me!

Lpaint22

Contumacious, thank you for the thoughtful reply. One of the main attributes to a projector is resolution. The Projectors you mentioned most are SVGA witch are a bative 800×600 resolution. The Artograph 150 is 1280×760 resolution so the picture is crisper and detail is preserved. They all have far greater lumens as you have pointed out but they are LCD as opposed to LED. I am aware that artograph are basically overpriced and I do not need the grids. LG makes the Artograph and their model without the grids is cheaper. The cost of equivalent resolution (1280×760 or thereabouts) LCD high lumen projectors that accept usb input is around $600-$800 and I don’t want to spend that much. I guess I am trying to figure out what will work at the best price.

contumacious

Please do let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

bongo

Another approach would be to transfer the drawing to LARGE engineering prints. A 3foot by 4 foot print at Staples costs $8. if you need larger you could put several of these together. Put powdered graphite on the back and trace. This is a process used by an artist (forgot name) that makes HUGE realist paintings – who says he’s tried other methods and found this to work best.
                        i know 60″ wide prints can also be made elsewhere.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                        STUDIOBONGO

ntl

help me understand this. Are you saying I can take my photo to (Fedex) (no Staples) here. And they can project it onto a 3×4 foot –maybe larger–paper, that I then take home and apply powdered graphite to transfer to my canvas?

bongo

help me understand this. Are you saying I can take my photo to (Fedex) (no Staples) here. And they can project it onto a 3×4 foot –maybe larger–paper, that I then take home and apply powdered graphite to transfer to my canvas?

It has to be a digital file, and it’s printed out on a large format printer. Then coat the back with powdered graphite – you can buy a jar at art stores – tape it to your canvas and trace the lines with a pen or stlyus – the graphite lines will then be on your canvas. Spray the canvas with fixative, or hairspray (what I use). So the graphite won’t smear when you paint over it.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                STUDIOBONGO

bongo

Use hi contrast b&w image to compensate for low lumens

STUDIOBONGO

uppergallery

Does anyone happen to know of an inexpensive digital art projector that I can use to project images onto a smaller canvas? Will any of these allow me to get a sharp projection on an 8×10 canvas from 2 feet away? I know the artograph projectors can do this, but I’m looking for something within my budget. Possible the DR J or LG projectors that run less that $100.

Rollins8Jeus

I have a large painting I need to do and figured it would be easier to project my drawing onto the canvas instead of griding it out. I am looking for a [URL=https://www.toppctech.com/best-projectors-under-300/]digital projector[/URL] that is not terribly expensive to buy for this task. It will need to be able to take an image off a USB thumbdrive since I will scan the drawing in sections and input from a thumbdrive. I looked at the Autograph flare 150 (*which is the LG PH150). I have some questions that I hope someone might be able to answer.

1) The unit is listed at 150 lumens……is this enough light to project an image at about 8 feet high?
                                            2) resolution seems high enough……will the image be good enough to get the main lines (don’t care about detail) drawn quickly?
                                            3) any other feedback will be appreciated

I see “art projectors” but aren’t normal Digital projector the same things?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.