Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Cretacolor Nero pencils!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    MichaelThomas

Hello:)
        Has anyone used the Cretacolor Nero drawing pencils?(The Soft). These have got to be the greatest drawing pencils in existence. They are made of charcoal but it has been treated with a special oil so that they don’t smear. They also produce a wonderful dark, rich soft tone. If you don’t like the smearing of regular charcoal give these a try. Just great.:thumbsup: But why are they named after a tyrannical Roman ruler who killed a bunch of people?(Nero)?…:confused: :lol: …Hopefully they will change the name to something else.:lol:

Anda G

:lol: I know what you mean. Names are tricky.

I have seen the charcoal that had oil in it, but never used it.

Could you do something and show the charcoal Neroes in action? I’d be interested to see how they handle.

Andagail

Alecto

Nero is Italian for “black”. :)

[FONT=Verdana]Here's to new beginnings! :music:[/COLOR][/B][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana]

C&C and any other form of help always welcome!
                [/COLOR] [/COLOR]

MichaelThomas

Is Nero really Italian for black? I knew that:wink2: :D

Anda…I’d better not post any of my work…I’m no good. But your drawings there (I think those are yours) are great.

Alecto

Is Nero really Italian for black? I knew that

Of course you did, I was … um, just making it clear for, uh, you know, other people. Yeah … yeah, that’s it … that’s the ticket! :D:p:o

[FONT=Verdana]Here's to new beginnings! :music:[/COLOR][/B][/I][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana]

[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

Anda G

:) Thanks, Michael. I posted my work when I first started (2005) and considered it a jumping off point. I can look back and see how I have progressed.

Put your work out there and see. :thumbsup: Now I am curious. I am going to look for open-stock charcoal with oil and see how it works.

Andagail

Alecto

I was wondering if it feels anything like compressed charcoal. I know you said it doesn’t smear, but can you make it smudge if you wanted to, either with a solvent or a chamois?

[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

MichaelThomas

Yes, these pencils definitely can be blended. I just mean they are not as messy as regular charcoal. I doubt you would even need to use fixative on a drawing done with these pencils. I’ve never tried compressed charcoal… I’ll have to give them a whirl.

BTW…If you do buy a Nero I would recommend either their Soft or Extra Soft.

Alecto

Thanks! I’ve always loved compressed charcoal, but a lot of people can’t stand it. It’s wonderful stuff when used on gessoed paper with a chamois for blending — nothing like it! But I think that most people who try it try it on regular paper, which I’ll admit can be horribly off-putting (impossible to erase and difficult to blend in that situation).

[/COLOR] [/COLOR]

Fozbot

Michael, where did you purchase these pencils? they sound great!

~Billie Crain~
                                            ArtByCrain Blog

MichaelThomas

I bought a single one at a local shop where I live but you can purchase a box of 12 Cretacolor Nero drawing pencils at… http://www.misterart.comhttp://www.merriartist.com and I think Dick Blick also has some too. I don’t see anyone online yet who sells the single individual pencils (open stock) yet. Cretacolor makes other types of pencils as well so make sure you get the ones that say “Nero”.

Fozbot

thanks, Michael.:) i checked Blick but didn’t see the Nero’s. Misterart is out of stock at the moment. i’ll be checking back with them. oooh, i just checked the second link you posted and they have them in stock!

~Billie Crain~
                                                    ArtByCrain Blog

Jess2

Do you have to use a certain kind of paper for these pencils, besides regular sketching paper?

BlueFlash

Hi :wave:

I’ve just discovered Cretacolor Nero pencils and I think I’m going to be a big fan. The blacks/darks you can achieve are just amazing and soooo dense!

This is my first time using this pencil and I produced this portrait. 12″x16″ on white Fabriano paper – sorry the quality isn’t very good as its taken from my digital camera!!

tievoli

I know this comment is late in coming-I’m new around here! I have a few neros- love’em, love’em love’em. Smooth, you can achieve a wonderful range of tones, the darks don’t end up looking shiny like you pressed too hard. Dick Blick has them, i got mine as part of their charcoal set. look under cretacolor.

Tievoli

C&C ALWAYS appreciated!
                                                                "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" E.A. Poe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Cretacolor Nero pencils!’ is closed to new replies.