Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Derwent Coloursoft and Drawing pencils

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Hipkit

I recently bought a tin of 24 Coloursoft pencils as my first step into the media of the coloured pencil. However, my main subject for drawing/painting is cats, and the colours offered in the set lack subtle oranges (for ginger cats) and are very limited in the browns (for tabbies and others).

I did a search for old posts on this forum regarding the Coloursofts and found one mentioning the Derwent Drawing set. The colour range looks ideal for cat portraiture and a look on Amazon showed that they don’t cost the earth either. I had been considering supplementing the Coloursofts by buying extra colours individually, but that would work out at about £2 per pencil, more in some colours. Does anyone have any experience to offer in using the Drawing set? Do they combine well with the Coloursofts?

I noticed on the Derwent website that the Drawing colours are very lightfast, which is a plus, though for me art is more of a hobby than a serious occupation, even though it seems I spend more time drawing and painting than in doing anything else.

Thanks. :wave:

salemskye

The Derwent Drawing are thicker than Coloursoft and are more muted, earthy tones. They are especially good for drawing animals and animal fur and they will work very well with the Coloursofts. One word of warning though, they aren’t *that* lightfast. But they are lovely to use and should be the perfect compliment to your Coloursofts, especially for your subject matter.

floyd

Hi, Hipkit, I don’t think I’ve posted in CP before either. I use a really lot of colored pencils in my work, but I use them over a watermedia underpainting. I have quite a few things posted in Watermedia.
                I don’t have any Coloursoft (yet) but I have a lot of Derwent Drawing. They are some of my favorite pencils, but they are very muted. You would be suprised at how many little touches of intense color you find in, say, a black or brown cat. Local color doesn’t mean anything, it’s reflected and refracted color that makes it look real. You can save a lot of money in the long run by just buying the colors you want from open stock. They may cost more per pencil, but you save a fortune by not buying all those useless colors in a set. You can also mix and match to get the best colors from each brand- I’ve never found any that wouldn’t work together. I have mostly Polychromos, Luminance, Inktense (not very lightfast, only suitable for sketching and wet underpainting), and a few of nearly every other kind. You spend less money at one time on a few carefully chosen colors. Imagine how much more mileage you would get out of a dozen carefully chosen, hand picked colors, than from a set that only had a few you needed.
                -Floyd

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/20-Mar-2015/49857-signature.jpg https://www.facebook.com/myartpage

Hipkit

Thanks for your responses.

salemskye, I’d read that these were “fur and feather” pencils considered good for animal drawing. Is Derwent stretching the truth in their blue wool scale? They rate this high on the scale of lightfastness; but I know that manufacturer’s own ratings can’t always be trusted.

FGLoftin, the colour selection in Coloursoft’s 24 set seems more suited to someone whose subject is floral drawing: lots of bright colours, more than enough for the reflected colours found in an animal’s fur. The problem is that it doesn’t contain the right colours for a cat’s local colour. For example, I drew/painted a ginger cat the other evening but had to use blues to create the muted browns found in the shadowy areas of a ginger cat. It looked interesting, but odd.

I also have the 12 set of Inktense which I bought some time ago in order to add colour to some zentangle style doodles. During a recent house move, one of them was mislaid by the packers (it fell from the tin). A couple of nights ago I bought three pencils online: the missing ‘Baked Earth’ Inktense, Mid Brown Coloursoft, and Mid Terracotta Coloursoft. This order came to £5.41.
                    The 24 tin of Derwent Drawing pencils are £22.24, far cheaper than buying individual pencils when 3 bought individually average £1.80 each.

Thanks for the information that the pencils will work together; I think that was all the enablement I needed. ;)

salemskye

salemskye, I’d read that these were “fur and feather” pencils considered good for animal drawing. Is Derwent stretching the truth in their blue wool scale? They rate this high on the scale of lightfastness; but I know that manufacturer’s own ratings can’t always be trusted.

I think Derwent overall are fairly optimistic about the lightfastness of their pencils – not to say they aren’t good, they are and they do often acknowledge that pinks and pale lilacs are the worst offenders. From a few years of discussing pencils and lightfastness, WC members have carried out their own tests and often find that a lot of the Derwent ranges have fugitive colours.

The best lightfastness seem to be Caran d’Ache Luminance range but you pay dearly for that.

I remember a WC member saying that the Drawing range were particularly poor on lightfastness – but they are still artist quality, still lightfast to a degree and great fun to use.

If you click on my blog link, and look under Coloured pencils you’ll get swatches and pencil info – hope that’s of some help.

Margareth56

I use the Derwent drawing pencils on a regular basis and have done some animals with them.

This tiger is done with the drawing pencils only

Margareth
                            Lets not forget that we are the ones that create beauty, each in our own special and unique way
                            Our creations touch people, so by doing what we do, we help creating a better world

ManedWolf

One word of warning: the Drawings can feel much harder than the Coloursofts (never ever believe anything about “creaminess” of pencils) but well-sharpened they are very nice indeed. You might find some useful feline hues in the Derwent Artists range too; technically they aren’t very far from the Drawings.

Heikki

escoveitch

I believe it the the graphitints that have very poor lightfastness. The derwent drawing range are lightfast.

salemskye

I believe it the the graphitints that have very poor lightfastness.

Yes, that’s true.

The derwent drawing range are lightfast.

They are lightfast but the ratings go from poor to good lightfastness.

Hipkit

Thank you for all the input. That’s a beautiful tiger Margareth, love the fur texture.
                                            I went ahead and ordered them and they arrived today – very speedy delivery. As I’ve just this moment opened the package, I haven’t yet used them, but will report back when I do.
                                            Just looking at the colour of the ‘leads’ makes me drool: so many great browns and greys; wonderful cat colours.
                                            salemskye, I’ll take a look at your blog a little later – would love to see more art created with these pencils.
                                            If I can get my scanner to work, I might show some of my little attempts at art when I’ve got to grips with using these with the coloursofts.

Thanks again,
                                            Catherine.

DozyDog

I’ve got a nice box of Derwent Coloursofts, which are very nice but a little bit ‘crumbly’, I find. I’ve never used the Derwent Drawing pencils though. Let us know how you get on with them.

Hallo Margreet! (Leuk om weer eens Nederlands te spreken) – What a beautiful tiger! Can I ask which black paper you use? I bought some Canson and found it can only take a limited amount of layers but maybe I’m doing things wrong :-)

Christianne
                                                ---*-*-*---
                                                Being creative is daring to make a mess, daring to show yourself vulnerable, daring to fail
                                                http://dogdanglingdays.com/

ManedWolf

This tiger is done with the drawing pencils only

voor Uw tijger!!! (Een beetje Nederlands ook hier.)

Heikki

escoveitch

Yes, that’s true.

They are lightfast but the ratings go from poor to good lightfastness.

According to Derwent, 23 of the 24 in the Drawing set have BW8 lightfastness, except for Ink Blue, which is 7. All the other derwent coloured pencils have poor to good lightfastness but not these.

salemskye

According to Derwent, 23 of the 24 in the Drawing set have BW8 lightfastness, except for Ink Blue, which is 7. All the other derwent coloured pencils have poor to good lightfastness but not these.

I am aware of that but as I said, I remember someone on WC doing a window test of the Drawing pencils and they came out with very poor results.

vanity

I am aware of that but as I said, I remember someone on WC doing a window test of the Drawing pencils and they came out with very poor results.

I am not sure but I think it were Graphitints that were tested and faded only after few days IIRC, I may be wrong though.

I also found this…

http://rozwoundup.typepad.com/roz_wound_up/2009/03/audible-sigh-of-relief-derwent-drawing-lightfast-test.html

https://www.instagram.com/clay_and_ink/
                                                                https://www.deviantart.com/whitewillows
                                                                Formerly vanity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.