WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Members or Robots?

beep click whir
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM
St Louis metro

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoball
They already have self-driving cars so that will make things even more dangerous, especially when one component malfunctions.
Well pretty much all jet airliners are already basically self-driving (most of the time) and they never fall asleep like the overworked pilots do. The Boeing 737 Max 8 is a recent bad example but most of the others work very, very well... I don't hardly agree with everything that Elon Musk says, but I do agree with what he said about self-driving cars: they are probably better than some drivers already (over the ranges that Teslas can self-drive, which is not everywhere yet) and the self-driving cars will only get better in the future. Meanwhile, people are still making the same dumb mistakes as always. --In fat, with mobile phones/texting, they have invented an entirely new driving distraction, on top of all the old ones...

Someday there will be different drivers licenses, based on if you want to manually drive the car in traffic or not. There will be people who will buy cars so that they can go wherever they want whenever they want, but who will almost always use the self-driving feature. They will only bother with driving the car themselves when they must--in those situations where the car can't figure things out on its own. And in typical urban/suburban/highway driving, those situations are going to become very rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR
What do the spambots want? To post about their wonderful products?

Yea... web links are worth real-actual-money, if you can control lots and lots of them. Valid email accounts too.

The dark underside of search engine optimization is when you pay somebody to go out online and post as many links back to your website page, from anywhere that they can. There is heavily-automated software to help them do this, and one person can make hundreds of posts a day with very few keystrokes. And there are thousands of businesses with dozens of people doing this, in multiple shifts, around the clock.

Nowadays there is also a huge market in scamming product ratings, as well as online retailer ratings. "Reviews from satisfied purchasers" was found to be a big influence in how people shopped online, so now there are armies of people that you can pay to help generate fake reviews--and you can get good reviews of your product, and/or bad reviews of someone else's product.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Far as I can see, self-driving cars are an excellent idea. Driving is an art, and the average idiot driver out there shouldn't be driving at all. These people have the attention span of a gnat.

Ever sat in the front passenger seat of a car in heavy, fast traffic driven by somebody who absolutely cannot talk to you without looking at you? How stupid does it get? Hello, I'm not deaf. I don't need to read your lips. Keep your eyes on the damn road!
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:11 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket
Far as I can see, self-driving cars are an excellent idea. Driving is an art, and the average idiot driver out there shouldn't be driving at all. These people have the attention span of a gnat.

Ever sat in the front passenger seat of a car in heavy, fast traffic driven by somebody who absolutely cannot talk to you without looking at you? How stupid does it get? Hello, I'm not deaf. I don't need to read your lips. Keep your eyes on the damn road!

Thank heavens for the imaginary break pedal on the passenger's side. With some drivers I am working it all the time.