Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Zinc etching with ferric chloride?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    insan_art

hi, i saw somewhere (and i believe it was on here a few months ago) about using ferric chloride for an etching solution. It is readily available at places like Radio Shack as a computer board etchant (and very cheap – 3.00 for a 16 oz. bottle).

anyways, i picked some up for the hell of it, and i’m wondering now about using it with zinc plates. I’ve looked in my normal reference book The Complete Printmaker (which i highly recommend) and it only talks about ferric chrloride with copper. It also says you must etch with the etched side down, so the particles will fall off, or mix with small part of HCL to get bubbles so you can etch facing up, but still have to agitate the liquid, to prevent settling of particles.

I am ultimately trying to avoid mixing with any other acid, so i can do this cheaply at home.

i figured before i try out some test plates, i’d check in on here again and see what you all have to say.

happy printing!!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]
        Sarah

www.insanart.com

"It's a fresh wind that blows against the empire."

Sunfilly

hi, i saw somewhere (and i believe it was on here a few months ago) about using ferric chloride for an etching solution. It is readily available at places like Radio Shack as a computer board etchant (and very cheap – 3.00 for a 16 oz. bottle).

anyways, i picked some up for the hell of it, and i’m wondering now about using it with zinc plates. I’ve looked in my normal reference book [U]The Complete Printmaker[/U] (which i highly recommend) and it only talks about ferric chrloride with copper. It also says you must etch with the etched side down, so the particles will fall off, or mix with small part of HCL to get bubbles so you can etch facing up, but still have to agitate the liquid, to prevent settling of particles.

I am ultimately trying to avoid mixing with any other acid, so i can do this cheaply at home.

i figured before i try out some test plates, i’d check in on here again and see what you all have to say.

happy printing!!

Hey Sarah,
            Welcome I looked at your website and have to say I love your prints. I found some info on using ferric chloride on zinc as opposed to copper plates and I have to say it looks like it may be pretty toxic with zinc, so you would want to take percautions, but there is mentioned some safer ways to etch zinc with Bordeaux, I hope this helps.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/gravert/galvetch/bordeaux.htm

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
            Albert Einstein

Deborah Puckett

Bee Studios[/url]

lleroy

There is a technique called electro-etching that uses electricity
                and a salt sollution to etch, and it’s supposed to work with all metals,
                just use a salt of the same metal…

http://duke.usask.ca/~semenoff/electro.htm

I haven’t tried it myself yet though…l

insan_art

hi all, thanks for the advice….

today, my printmaking mentor (and my original teacher) told me that ferric chloride is fine to use with zinc. She says that it may release some fumes, but nothing to be worried about if you have a bit of ventilation.

anyhow, i’ll be doing some zinc test plates over the next few days to find out how long to etch in the ferric, upside down vs right side up, etc.

if anyone is interested, i’ll post my findings.

also, two things – 1. thanks for the compliment! and 2. can anyone tell me about their experience using a lift ground etching technique? i’m going to do a seperate post on that as well.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]
                    Sarah

www.insanart.com

"It's a fresh wind that blows against the empire."

Sunfilly

I very interested in how it goes with the process. Please post your findings.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
                        Albert Einstein

Deborah Puckett

Bee Studios[/url]

When I was in college we had two separate set ups for etching with ferric choloride for copper, and another set up for the acid used in zinc plates. Ferric choloride is the least toxic of the acids, but it can only be used safely with copper.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend, before we too into the dust descend.... Omar Khayyam

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
                        Charissa

Room410

I am adding to this thread in the hopes that it will post as a recent topic. I am using ferric right now with small zinc plates. I called Graphic Chemical and they told me it was fine to use with zinc (i prefer copper and will use copper in the future, but for cost reasons am using what i have on hand).

I know to not mix metals. separate baths for copper and zinc etc…and i do have adequate ventilation set up. also they are very small plates 2″X3″ and I am only etching 6 at a time.

I have read in books that where it can become toxic is when you are using very large pieces of zinc and creating a very heavy bite.

any more thoughts on this?? thanks!!
                            Doreen

Printmakerguy

Etching zinc with ferric WILL emit some bad things, Notably hydrogen gas. But, If you use proper ventilation, which you should be doing anyway, you should be OK- Especially on small plates.

There are methods of etching Zinc that are considered by many to be much safer- Like Copper Sulphate. It’s also readily available, and cheap, too. Here is an article about it- http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Arts/Graphicartists/Printmakingmethods/Theintagliomethods/historyofelectrolytic/EtchingWithoutAcid/ZincPlates/ZincPlates.htm

Remember, do NOT use nitric acid under any circumstance with Zinc, unless you are positive that there is a better life waiting for you elsewhere!

[FONT="Arial"]

I always welcome critiques and criticisms of my work! That's the only way to improve!
                                My My Web Page - My Miniature Work-http://www.lessthansix.com[/center]
                                -Member of the Association Of Miniature Artists-

* AMA * MASF * HS * ARMS *

Room410

thank you Andrew. I may very well have a better life waiting somewhere but have much work to do here first!! lol

I really appreciate that article…you know i am just going to scrap the zinc and buy some copper. I just dont like what i am hearing, which is conflicting info about safety. I have heard a few warnings about zinc in ferric and think it is just best to use copper from here on in…….off to the store i go ! …thanks so much for that link.
                                    Doreen

TimKelly

I have a litre of 42% solution purchased from Langridge Artists Colours in Melbourne at their webpage. The label says Etching solution for zinc and copper. I rang them and they confirmed that it was suitable for etching zinc.

For aluminum, steel, or zinc plates, try this:

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1084582

Cheers ….. Charles

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.