WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland
tutoring children from 4 to 7 years old

I am starting a children's art class in my local community centre during the school holidays. The age group is to be 4 - 7 years old and is younger than I had expected the age group to be. I wonder if you would be able to give me some ideas on fun art for the little ones, I don't want the class to be formal as the idea is for them to have fun. We are also on a limited budget.

Could you suggest some basic art materials that won't cost us too much.

thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Southern California

Hails from United States
Re: tutoring children from 4 to 7 years old

I would do a web search for art and craft ideas. There are tons of sites out there.... try kinderart or type in art lessons for kids. You might call the local clubs and ask them how much they would charge, but you may want to keep it reasonable for parents so that you will be asked to do this again. Hope this helps and hope it isn't too late.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resrthze/colleensparlin/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Thank you Colleen that is very helpful. I ended up buying a book on crafts and it was full of brilliant ideas that really inspired me.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

From my research the focus for that age is process over product. So let them have fun experimenting with the different or unsual materials you can use. Dont just let them scribble or colour with crayons.

What was the book you bought?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

I had a class of little ones and their favorite thing to do was clay. I bought the Crayola and it wasn't too expensive. They can also paint that and add sparkles or decorations. We even made a pot. Then we made holiday ornaments. When we went back to painting and drawing, they would still ask for the clay every week! Have fun.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2009, 05:39 AM
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hello Chrissy and alibean, sorry if I missed your response to my thread. A lot has happened since I was in the planning stages of this class for the children. I was getting work ready for two exhibitions and was trying to keep up with my art business paperwork too. The manager of the community centre said she would go ahead and run the workshop with her teenage son. You know they had the most wonderful response twenty little ones attended the three day works shop making pipe cleaner men and working with clay! So it was very successful. I since then have started adult watercolour painting classes and I now have a regular group and today I am going to look for new premises in my town for another class. All very exciting news. Thank you for your comments.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2009, 09:13 AM
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

wow, that's great. It sounds like you have everything all set. exhibitions, classes... tell us your secret!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Highlands of Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Hi alibean, it has been really hard to find cheap premises to do the tutoring from and as I write I am still looking for the opportunity to do more classes. I think it is very wrong for buildings and halls to stand empty because they are too expensive to hire for a class. I wonder if you have the same problem over there in the states.