Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Using canvas board

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sheryl

Does anyone use canvas board – the canvas attached (maybe with glue) to hard cardboard? Do they warp with time, even in a frame?

I know if they are stored leaning, they do warp. I plan to store them flat on the floor. I want to know if they will warp on the wall in a frame.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I plant to switch to something thin and flat for packing artwork and for cheaper shipping. Just not sure what to use, other than paper. Archival paper is more expensive than canvas. I wouldn’t use ordinary art paper for a painting I’m selling. I could use canvas sheets in a pad, maybe, but want something more durable.

Maybe thin wooden boards? or pressed board – does it warp on the wall with time?

Any thoughts on the canvas board? I bought some 12″ x 16″ today and just want to know how well they will stand up before I start painting on them.

sherylgallant.ca
        - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

rickjf

I’ve used a number of those. Most I’ve used are cheap. That’s why I have them. Some have warped some have not. They make a more ridged surface. I’ve also used and like plywood panels that I gesso myself. I’m really an amateur at all this being frugal is important to me. I also like the wood surface as its smooth.

bluefish

Sheryl…..the ideal panel for you is aluminum….light weight, will not warp…and ideal for acrylic….I used to paint on them decades ago when I had industrial access to them….now they are available in art supply stores, primed and ready to go…:thumbsup: :wave:

fedetony

The canvas board is a cardboard base with canvas glued to it. Normally they use the same gesso to glue it. They are very durable, and no they don’t warp. Only if they get wet somehow they will deform. But is not a good option for shipping. Cheap ones may not be acid free, so better buy an expensive one if you intend it to last a lifetime.
                    For durability the best option is always cotton canvas, and you can roll it and ship it in a tube.
                    Paper can be also very durable…. not as canvas, but anyway…
                    I would stay away from the wooden and pressed boards. The wood changes size with temperature and humidity, making the paint eventually crack or detach from the surface. Also you need to treat it correctly such that it does not get fungus or humidity inside.
                    Pressed boards may contain chemicals to bond the wood that may yellow, or contaminate your paints. Also they are not acid free…. And since they are heavier than paper or canvas, shipping is more expensive.

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

I was using a canvasboard made in Vietnam that I purchased at my local art supply shop. There was no warping ever. Then the shop started sourcing a canvasboard from China that does warp. What’s the point of that? Useless. So I have lately switched to using a hardboard which I quite like.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

keenart

I use my canvas boards for studies when on trips and they are durable as long as you do not get them damp or wet. Store them flat, and as a precaution put a sheet of wax paper between them, not plastic. I still have dozens painted on twenty years old and they still look new.

http://www.misterart.com/canvas/canvas-boards/fredrix-canvas-boards.html

Jan

Sheryl

I can pack stretched canvas in boxes but carefully. Shipping is a lot for the stretched canvas because of the depth. Something I can slip into a super large bubble envelope with a sheet of cardboard over the painted side is a lot cheaper to mail.

I am very frugal too. When I started painting as a teen, I cut out pieces of smooth cardboard from the sides of boxes, primed them and painted on them. They worked great, were fairly durable and framed well. :)

I do like the smoother surface of the boards but there is only one art supply store here: Michaels and they are very expensive, however, they do have good coupons. maybe I will look online.

I buy all supplies ahead for the north as I am 3 hours from the nearest town and try to limit our trips to once in mid summer. I buy a lot online, but that’s not cheap. I want something that I can pack down small in a box.

sherylgallant.ca
                            - "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

rickjf

My painting “Night Window” on this acrylic forum is on canvas covered board from WalMart. It was cheap, but in the end may not be a bargain. My board have come from Rocklers, or Lowes. I can’t recommended just report what I’m doing.

I started with poster board and craft paint. But they have held up well.

I’ve used a lot of canvas boards from Walmart, they haven’t warped. And I think a frame would keep them from warping.

Just don’t buy cheap gallery wrapped canvas. I bought a pack of Daler-Rowney wrapped canvases and the surfaces cracked.

When I wanted a smooth surface I went to the diy and got 1/8″ hard board. They even cut it up for me. A 4 x 8′ sheet divides up nicely into regular frame sizes. Then you want to seal them with GAC 100 and then gesso them.

You’re 3 hours from any town? I thought I had it bad lol. The nearest town is 45 minutes away, but the only art supplies there are in Walmart. So I wait for trips to the bigger cities or order online.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                Every painting is a new adventure.

Old_hobbyest

I have used both Nam and China canvas panels for decades. I typically buy them in bulk, viz, student grade. The very early ones had wood “debris” between the canvas and the paper backing. Now the canvas is mounted on cardboard. What I like about the cardboard is that I can cut thru it and the canvas to “downsize” the painting. I seal the cut edges with a light coating of Elmer’s glue.
                                    It is very humid where I live but have never had problems with warping from moisture pick-up. Only time I had a major problem was when my garage flooded and damaged the panels standing on the floor.
                                    I have learned NOT to flat-stack my finished ptgs. As one very learned professional on the Landscape Forum has forever touted, acrylics never seem to fully cure. That is somewhat true here with the high humidity. Ergo, the panels will stick together! Meaning of course that you may need to peel paper from the positive surface of each painting.
                                    BTW, I have had more warping problems with heavily gessoed (4 edges and both sides) Birch plywood than with these cheepo canvas panels!
                                    Oh and one more thing – I typically paint 120-150 paintings a year. Ergo #2 – Even tho I paint over about 75% of my efforts, I would never have room for support-mounted paintings. And if you think that flat-stacked paintings stick together, wait until you try to unroll an old canvas!

jonc50

When I first started painting, I used oils on canvas board. When I moved our family 3000 miles west, most of the framed ones remained with my parents. After they died a couple were sent to me (one of which is presently on the first page of the “Classical Art” forum called ‘Masquerade Ball at the Ritz’). I used a variety of brands and the ones that I brought are still in the same shape that I originally painted them. Some were ‘Grumbaucher’, and a variety of lesser know brands such as ‘Eatons.’ They worked well for me in the oils, but I like the heavy watercolour pads that are glued on the ends and I like to use them in a fashion that I would use watercolours, with a wash before doing any detailing. The pads have a finer grain for more detail work, but the canvas boards were no problem either as you could see on the painting I mentioned earlier. There are a lot of people that are quite small and their faces are recognizable as well as the detailing in this particular painting and I’m sure you could master them with acrylics although I’ve never used one for this medium. The canvas boards are easy to transport as well as being easier on the shipping costs. They are not as fragile as the framed canvas with regards to tearing the canvas. Many of these are 50 years old.

Manet4Nuttn

If you use hardboard, I’d recommend getting a special lacquer-based primer called Kilz™, available as a spray paint or by the quart or gallon for brush/roll application. In remodeling, we use it on water damaged/mildewed surfaces that we want to repaint. It penetrates, completely seals, and has a nice dry, grippy surface that will take Gesso like a champ.

Do all six edges, and you should be impervious to moisture damage and dimensional distortions. They sell it at any good lumber yard or hardware store, (where they also sell sheets of hardboard that you can cut to any size, or have them do it for you on their panel saw).

“I love you, Lucien, but I am a muse, you are an artist, I am not here to make you comfortable.”
                                            Christopher Moore, Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.