Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Silmarillion illustration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    IsobelW

Beren sees Luthien. Graphite, with touches of charcoal and white ink.

IsobelW

:oIt did not upload. Maybe I will try another time.

Attalus

:oIt did not upload. Maybe I will try another time.

Check the size. 800 pixels is the most size it will take in any dimension. Looking forward to seeing it :)

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

IsobelW

Thanks Attalus! Anyway, it’s not much. I am hoping some digital alteration will improve it.I was thinking of enhancing the lighting, maybe blurring the background.Right now the picture seems a bit flat? But as my computer seems to be in a disagreeable mood:lol: that might have to wait. Can’t seem to crop the sides. Anyway, feedback is appreciated. Haven’t been doing so well with pencil/charcoal recently, so I consider this a bit of a warm up:lol:.

talisman

Lots of drama and interesting shapes.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                        C and C always welcome.
                        My DeviantArt Gallery

IsobelW

Thanks Talisman!

talisman

Be sure and post any updates on this here as you work on it.
                                I curious as to what you will do with it.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                C and C always welcome.
                                My DeviantArt Gallery

IsobelW

Thanks for looking. Did some touch ups on Photoshop.

That looks good but I do like the first version as well. There’s a good sense of movement and it has a primitive art feel to it.

On the photo-shopped one, I think you could crop the top off a bit more, I would crop it under where the big branch on the left attaches. Compostionally, there’s too much at the top, it takes away from the bright figure and makes the dark area in front seem too dark. With it cropped it brings the focus to the figure and the dark area works as a dramatic contrast.

I like the drama of the second one. It’s lost some of the movement of the first but it makes up for it with the sharp contrasts.

You have like a two for one artwork there! Good stuff.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                    Find me on Instagram
                                    Find me on Facebook

Attalus

I liked Beren in the first one better, :( though the second is more dramatic. Maybe you could highlight him? The way I see it, the emphasis shifts from him to her, if that is the way you want it.

Definitely the emotional high point of the Sil77, unless you insist on Elwing’s flight.

For Ulmo bore up Elwing out of the waves, and he gave her the likeness of a great white bird, and upon her breast there shone as a star the Silmaril, as she flew over the water to seek Eärendil her beloved. On a time of night Eärendil at the helm of his ship saw her come towards him, as a white cloud exceeding swift beneath the moon, as a star over the sea moving in strange courses, a pale flame on wings of storm. And it is sung that she fell from the air upon the timbers of Vingilot, in a swoon, nigh unto death for the urgency of her speed, and Eärendil took her to his bosom; but in the morning with marvelling eyes he beheld his wife in her own form beside him with her hair upon his face, and she slept.

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

IsobelW

Thanks for looking!Vmrs I am glad you like the first one too. It is quite different from the first! I cropped the top of the picture.
                                            Attalus, I will experiment with the second picture. I want to keep Beren in shadow, but not lose him in the background. I tried a few highlights so he shows up more.
                                            The Silmarillion has so many outstanding parts, but that one when Elwing comes back is one of the best.

Very dramatic.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                            Every painting is a new adventure.

Attalus

Thanks for looking!Vmrs I am glad you like the first one too. It is quite different from the first! I cropped the top of the picture.
                                                Attalus, I will experiment with the second picture. I want to keep Beren in shadow, but not lose him in the background. I tried a few highlights so he shows up more.
                                                The Silmarillion has so many outstanding parts, but that one when Elwing comes back is one of the best.

Okay, I like that better. Gotta love reflected light, right?

IsobelW

Thanks!

Looks good!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                    Find me on Instagram
                                                    Find me on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.