WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 04:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Louisiana

Hails from United States
Re: Dragon Slayer enlargement WIP

Love the expression on his face, his determination really comes through. And yes, I love the spots, too!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 04:48 AM
West West Sussex ....England.

Hails from England

Hi Kerry

I am watching this closely with great enthusiasm, as I want to try Dragons, (cant draw breathing things yet), I just love them, especially as there is no real format or shape ....... Really well done.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Talking Re: Dragon Slayer enlargement WIP

Hi Kerry
is it not possible for you to maybe use the photocopier/xerox in your local library to enlarge/rescale the original and then trace it off onto the larger size paper? Just seem simpler. Or after scanning the painting into your computer at oswoa size, print it out the size you want it in black and white, or print it in sections at the right size, and then trace it off? Love sue
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Thankyou WS, Bayou, and JB!
Sorry those pics are so blurry! I just can't get good images with this darn camara! His face will need more work but I do like the way it is coming out.
Couldn't work on it today 'cause I had to finish up some stuff for ebay, but, hopefully will get some time on it tomorrow.

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Sue, that sounds too darn complicated...for me! LOL! I really don't like tracing anyway. I find even when very carefully done, the drawing just lacks life, or immediacy when it's a tracing. It's not really a big deal, especially with an oil painting where I will be over painting the drawing anyway, but, I just don't like the look of a traced drawing. I used to transfer all my drawings to canvas as tracings. Now, I just draw directly on the canvas using an easily changable medium such as vine charcoal or water soluable pencils. It is rare that I want to do something like this centaur enlargement where I need it so exact that freehand drawing won't cut it.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Louisiana

Hails from United States

I can agreed, I don't like to trace my drawings either. It never looks the same as the original.

Also, part of me is really lazy and whines, "but I already drew it once! Why must I draw it again....waaaah...."
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

lol, Bayou! I feel the same way! Why waste time doing it twice! Well I haven't had a chance to work on it yet! I've been uploading work on ebay all day! Only 7 pieces but it takes all friggin' day!

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
currently Northeast Pa USA

Hails from United States

kerry , really looking great so far , yes fantasy art 'allows' alot of freedom in making interesting backgounds and scenes ie sky colours , etc , without much 'explainin' hhee hhee .
But I feel differently about traceing , though I vary in methods, I like traceing over sketches and drawings to redraw/rework and work up to the final , its actually the fact that it isn't the same as the first that I like. but as I posted earlier I applaud the use of the grid , reminding me of my rebelishess in art school [illustration]over the use of the projector machine known as 'the lucy' . Now these days I like playing with the projector and high tech as digital cam into computer into printer into projector into tracing reworking . Work is fun LOL my printers out of ink , had to run down to a printer to get a 11 by 14 drawing down within 7 by 7 [projecter bed] , I just don't like drawing direct , but its great if you like to !
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

I think it all comes down to the intended goal as to whether or not tracing is worth the effort. I still use it for certain situations like what you discribed Stillbill. I have a wildlife painting I did a few years back that in the planning stages I needed to work out three differant layers to the composition and using transparencies and tracing and re-tracing the layout changes was the only way to go. Once I had it worked out, I still freehand drew it onto the canvas, but, it wasn't a critical placement situation so long as everything went into thier approximate positions.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
bristol WI

Hails from United States

Cool piece and information, thanks!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

You're welcome, Greentea!

OK, I did get to work on it today and did a lot of bouncing around, and got really, really carried away with his wild hair. LOL! Think I will have to give him a haircut or something 'cause it's a bit much! I worked the middle ground weeds a bit more but mostly worked on the dragon. I lightened the underside of the wing, but, now I may have overdone it at the bottom so am planning to redarken it later using some transparent washes - I only wanted the upper part of the wing lightened to look like the sunlight is glowing through. I added a star texture to the wings and worked the scale texture and color of the dragons body. I'd say this has passed the midway point now, but still has plenty that needs to be done - detailing and just plain getting paint on the canvas.
Attached Images

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 AM
Enthusiast
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I love his crazy hair! This is really an awesome painting!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 AM

Hails from United States

I love the spots on the cenraur's skin!!! It really adds to the magic!!! GO Kerry Go Kerry!! Rah Rah Rah

My Blog ... My Facebook ... My Work
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryOriginals
Hey, hi Erika! Glad you made it over here! I haven't decided on my color theme for this yet, but, I'm contemplating a more neutral theme in ochres and siennas, just can't decide. Might have to do some color studies and work out a few differant ones. I'm a lazy painter, however, so that isn't likely to happen! LOL!

If you're a lazy painter then I...I must be a sleeping artist! I want to be as lazy as you Miss Hardworking Painter!!!! Love ya!

My Blog ... My Facebook ... My Work
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
Azle, TX

Hails from United States

Thankyou Crystal! I've decided to leave the hair until I finish the rest of his mane and tail and body hair befor I do any snipping!
LOL, Erika! When I get into it, I can easily spend 6- 8 hrs. on a 2" square of painting just building up paint texture and detailing...and still not get it finished! But I am lazy when it comes to the preliminary work! Oh, and as you can see, the neutral theme ochres and siennas flew the coup long ago!