Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Fixing Charcoal drawings permanently

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    lindap2

Hi,

I’m stuck. I want to send charcoal’s drawings in the post. They are drawn on artist HP paper and Ingris paper (shown below). The problem I have is what do I do to stop smudging of the artwork.

I think I’ll roll the artwork up in Glassine and send in a cardboard tube, but I’ve tried to spray it with fixative but it still smudges :crying:

Any suggestions/tips on fixative and techniques of making the charcoal permanent would be so gratefully received.

You must be doing something wrong with the fixative .. it was developed specifically to prevent smudging – seal the medium to the paper or substrate to protect it. What fixative are you using? And how do you apply it?

I work in graphite and my work doesn’t smudge very much at all . But when I do use a fixative I use Krylon Matte Fixatif[/URL] but there are many kinds. Shake the can well and apply an even layer horizontally on the paper. Starting off paper so as not to get spitting and not too close so the air won’t blow on the paper. And hold the paper somewhat vertically – not flat. I will move evenly across the paper and off the other side with about 1/4 overlap in each pass and move fast enough that it doesn’t get “wet”. Then I let it dry for perhaps 20-30 minutes – shouldn’t take long as the layer isn’t very thick – and then I repeat it but this time I go vertically. Let it sit for maybe a half hour more and I can rub my finger on the graphite without worrying.

Not all fixatives are the same. Some won’t prevent smudging until several layers have been applied – others are faster. Odors vary as does behavior. It is best to try each one on a scrap paper and see how many coats it takes to stop the smudging and how it behaves generally. And I would also avoid the cheaper alternatives – like hair spray. Nobody knows how that will finally react in 50 years. Actual fixative is chemically designed to work with dry media as an archival solution. They can seem a bit expensive but a little goes a long way.

lindap2

Thank you for your advice.

I used Daler Rowney Fixative spray. I have to admit that I actually placed the artwork on the floor and sprayed across (starting outside the artwork and working across). I then left it about 40 mins and sprayed again. I wonder if it is the make of fixative that doesn’t seem to work with charcoal?

i googled Matt Krylon fixative and noticed Matte Finish Aerosol Spray 11oz. Is that the Fixative you use? as there was another one labelled as Workable Fixatif Spray-11 Ounces. Unfortunely the Amazon site didn’t give any further details :(

Thank you for your description on how you spray……… I’ll have another go with my work lent against the wall.

I use the Krylon workable matte fixatif spray … but Daler Rowney is an excellent brand as well. Perhaps it would take a second layer … I saw a review somewhere that said some of them take up to 3 layers before smudging stops. The only way to tell is probably to test it out on some scrap drawing.

lindap2

Hi Ken

I’ll have a go at spraying over a test piece. It could be the way I’m spraying it – I’ll also have a go at the way you suggested.

If all fails, I’ll order the workable fixative Krylon spray.

I’d love to solve this problem, as I don’t want to sell charcoals and find out that they are accidently being smudged through the protective plastic sleeves (behind double mounts).

Thank you for your advice

blackandwhite

How far away you spray the fixative? Is the paper wetted by the fixative solvent when you spray it?
                    This problem sounds like that there is not enough fixative on the paper, or the distance might be too long, which may cause the fixative to dry before it hits the paper (i’ve seen that happen…).

lindap2

The paper doesn’t get wet, but I think I point the nozzle over the drawing, rather than at it (hoping it will fall on the artwork). I do get quite close to the work.

I’m going to do some test pieces to see if I can solve this issue (including facing the nozzle at the work).

I’ve gone through a lot of spray in one week on only a few drawings – and I definately must be doing something wrong (went through one can!).

lindap2

You maybe right ——- I sprayed a charcoal drawing vertical this time, and nearer. The Daler & Rowney spray worked this time :) yipeeeee! Probably the third coat, but the charcoal did not come off on my fingers. I didn’t realise that the spray could dry in mid air, but this makes sense.

Looks like there is a fine balance between getting too close and too far away – something I’ll definately learn to get right.

Thank you all so, so, much. Honestly, without all of your help, I was stuck.

janinco

I use SpectraFix on charcoal with a Flairosol sprayer. I hold it at a slight angle to spray but then lay flat right away. I always tape the edges to a drawing board or Gatorfoam Board with any fixative since the dampness can cause lighter paper to get wavy when dry. I usually give it two to three coats letting it dry in between.

One of the nice things about SpectraFix is that you won’t lose your whites if you added some pastel or white charcoal for highlights. But the best is that I can use it indoors and not worry about any toxic chemicals.

This is a clip from Jason Morgan on using it on pastels, but it works for charcoal as well.

https://youtu.be/9Ui3KHKJ3bA

Jan

kevinwueste

I have not found a fixative – yet – that keeps all the charcoal from moving/falling.. there is often too much charcoal material on the paper for it to glue everything down.. Several runs at about a foot away ( on a non windy day, outside) will do a nice job for Krylon workable fixative..

someone may have already written it but the word “workable” only means you can keep adding charcoal ( or pastel etc.,) .. you can’t really erase much after..

Kevin

i draw, paint and teach | my voice is hoarse | my shoulder hurts.
                                    Talent is really a capacity for a certain type of learning of knowledge and a consuming interest in the facts that contribute to that knowledge~ Andrew Loomis
                                    http://www.kevinwuesteart.blogspot.com
                                    "kevinwueste" on instagram

There is not a perfect fixative. While working using graphite or charcoal, including pastel, I use a small bridge made of a semi rigid foam with small blocks at the ends so the bridge will not touch the canvas or the paper.
                                    In fact, at times, I smudge the drawing on purpose to change the values.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.