Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Casein Questions Answered

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Jmolnar

Hi All,

I just joined Wetcanvas.
        Casein paint is my specialty.
        I’ve been painting with casein for 25 years.
        If you have any questions about casein supports, usage, brushes, technique or varnish, email me and I’ll answer with a solution for you.

Cheers,
        John Molnar

Studio-1-F

Wow!!! John, thank you!!!

Is this[/URL] you?

Jan

Feel free to ask your questions here as well. :p

David Blaine Clemons
            ----------------
            My Website
            My Blog

I do have a question: I read ‘What is casein’ on your site-answered most of my questions right there. I was interested in the differences between casein and watercolor. I have tried acrylics and am not fond of them at all. Oil takes too long to dry and it’s easier to muddy the colors.
            I thought casein might give a middle ground for working.
            Do you frame casein as a watercolor or an oil? I am wondering if you put a finish of any kind on casein once it has dried.
            Thanks

Window Clings! Pysanky! e-reader covers!
            http://www.etsy.com/shop/barbaranovak

Barb, it might help first if we look at why a varnish is used on any sort of painting. The paint surface can collect dust, grime, smoke stains, etc. over time, and a varnish layer can offer protection for cleaning so that the paint surface itself is not touched. Some pigments can also have more of a matte or gloss tone when they dry, and a varnish resin can help balance that out over the whole painting. There are different sorts of varnishes, but they all offer more or less the same results, They can be matte or glossy, temporary or permanent. The most practical type of varnish in terms of conservation care is one that can be removed if it becomes damaged or discolored over time.

Regarding casein or any other similar paint surface that is somewhat fragile, if you apply a varnish to it, the varnish automatically becomes permanent since there’s no way to safely remove it later on without removing paint. If the varnish ages poorly, there’s nothing you can do to fix it. Another problem is that the casein surface can absorb the resin in such a way that it actually changes the coloring and value of the pigment, depending on how the paint was applied, thus changing the look of your painting, perhaps for the worse. I have found that if you wait several months (3-4) for the casein to cure completely, that is less likely to happen than if you varnish earlier. Spirit or oil varnishes tend to work better in that case than water soluble varnishes that might disturb the casein layer.

In the absence of a varnish, glazing (glass or plexiglass) can be used to protect the paint surface. This is the most convenient solution, but it can add to the overall weight and fragile nature of the work, glare or non-glare issues, costs, etc. If you’re exhibiting a work on paper some places demand that paper pieces be behind glass. It also doesn’t help solve the patchy gloss to matte paint surface problems.

In the end as a general rule, most will advise you to hang casein under glass, and that’s what I often do. After it has cured (if I still have it,) I may add a varnish so that glass is not necessary. Otherwise I would just keep it in storage so it dosen’t get dirty.

David Blaine Clemons
            ----------------
            My Website
            My Blog

Jmolnar

Hi Barb,

The difference between gouache and casein is that gouache has glycerin in it.
                As do watercolor paints.This means they are permanently soluable to water, so they must be framed under glass to protect them from moisture or water.

As for Casein, I have painted many casein paintings on canvas, unframed.
                I use aerosol spray matte varnish, so that the colors don’t become distorted, as can be the case with gloss varnish applications over casein.

Casein on paper should be framed under glass, not so much to protect the paint, but to keep the paper clean.

Casein can be used as an under painting for oils. Be sure to apply an isolating varnish layer between the casein and oil paint.

By the way, casein on paper is an excellent ground for silver point drawing!

Cheers,

alexs

Hi John
                    I’m glad you have decided to join Wet Canvas. I will have a lot of questions for you about using casein.

I have read many references that say you should not paint casein on canvas. Is this correct? How do you get around this problem?

What is the best support for painting casein?

Thanks
                    Alex

Jmolnar

Hi alexs,

I have painted casein on canvas for 25 years or so.
                        This is emulsified casein, that is casein tempered with oil.
                        The brand I use is Shiva Casein.
                        The references you have read probably relate to untempered casein, or “milk paint’, or lime casein.
                        I paint in thin layers, and build them up in layers.
                        I have some examples of mu casein paintings at my website: http://www.johnmolnarpaintings.com/

Painting with casein is much like painting with gouache, only it dries into a polymer,(film or skin) onto gessoed canvas.

Please write to me with any more questions or ideas you have about casein.
                        My email is [email][email protected][/email]

Studio-1-F

Wow!!! John, thank you!!!

Is [URL=http://www.johnmolnarpaintings.com/]this[/URL] you?

Jan

I guess that IS you, John.

Jan

Jmolnar
                                JamieWG

Hi alexs,

I have painted casein on canvas for 25 years or so.
                                    This is emulsified casein, that is casein tempered with oil.
                                    The brand I use is Shiva Casein.
                                    The references you have read probably relate to untempered casein, or “milk paint’, or lime casein.
                                    I paint in thin layers, and build them up in layers.
                                    I have some examples of mu casein paintings at my website: [url]http://www.johnmolnarpaintings.com/[/url]

Painting with casein is much like painting with gouache, only it dries into a polymer,(film or skin) onto gessoed canvas.

Please write to me with any more questions or ideas you have about casein.
                                    My email is [email][email protected][/email]

John, I use the Shiva casein too. I didn’t realize it was different from other casein paints. I assume you’re saying that it is already “tempered” with oil? Why does it dry so quickly then?

Do you use stretched canvas, or canvas mounted to a stiff support like hardboard? I think I’d worry about cracking on a very flexible support.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                    [/url]
                                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

alexs

John
                                        Would you care to elaborate on the polymer concept of
                                        shiva’s casein. This is totaly new to me.

What is the use of Shiva’s emulsion and when or where should I use it?

I have been using Shiva casein on gessoed watercolor paper. I would like to mount this to a more rigid support so that I can frame the painting in a frame without glass. What adhesive and varnish would you recommend.

Is there a recommended drying time for the casein before it can be varnished similar to oils.

Alex

Jmolnar

Hi Alex and Jamie,

I always stretch my own choice of canvas.
                                            It has to be rigid enough, not floppy to take casein properly.
                                            Casein emulsion is casein and oil emulsified.
                                            This cures to a skin or polymer.
                                            Because of the oil content.
                                            The more casein emulsion added to casein, prolongs drying time, and adds
                                            flexibility. Too much emulsion can yellow.
                                            I would suggest stretching canvas over a rigid support instead of paper.
                                            Weldbond glue is an excellent glue for mounting canvas.
                                            I prefer a matte varnish, aerosol spray. I like to preserve the matte look of casein.
                                            Drying time varies can vary. A month or two is a suitable period of time.
                                            Try a 8″ x 10″ test application before you commit to a finished piece.
                                            Play around with casein a bit, it’s different in behavior, and it takes a little patience to get to know your way around it.
                                            Cheers,

Richeson has an FAQ on their site that offers up some advice about using the medium. They mention that it’s okay to use casein on stretched canvas IF you paint thinly, otherwise use a firm support.

Although they don’t say exactly what the content of the binder is, they must use an added preservative of some sort since “fresh” casein would have a short shelf life, unlike their paints and medium which can sit of a store shelf for years and still be used. I’m fairly certain there’s no oil in it, but having oil in small amounts wouldn’t necessary make it dry very slowly. Sennelier egg tempera paints and binder have some oil in them, for example, and dry relatively fast.

I sometimes use casein emulsion (my own mixture) and oil paints in a preliminary undertone for my oil paintings. You can also use the emulsion with casein pants to extend their brushability without diluting them with water, just don’t overdo it. You can also mix it with raw pigments to make your own paints, perhaps for colors that Shiva doesn’t offer. Shiva also sells a Casein “varnish” which is essentially shellac.

There are several glues that work well for mounting canvas or paper to wood. Hide glue, starch, or acrylic glues or mediums will do the job. Some types are reversible, some not. Many types of wood panels are acidic, and it’s for that reason that watercolorists don’t recommend mounting paper to wood, but there are some varieties that aren’t that risky, or else they can be properly sized beforehand. Otherwise you can use other firm supports that are acid free, like some types of foamcore or binder board.

David Blaine Clemons
                                            ----------------
                                            My Website
                                            My Blog

alexs

Can you mix watercolor paints, from a tube, with the casein emulsion to get a different color. I didn’t want to go through the expense of buying dry pigments just yet.

I still would like to go through with the exercise of mounting my casein paintings on masonite. The paper has several coatings of acrylic gesso on the front and back prior to the casein application. I intend to apply GAC 100 to the masonite and then apply an acrylic gel medium before mounting the casein painting. Would this be a reasonable approach?

I have tried mounting the casein painting on acid free matboard. The matboard warps.

Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.