Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials How to Glue Canvas on Canvas? Please advise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    crazycat001

Hi,

I am about to start a project that requires me to stick 4×4 and 6×6 mounted canvases (lots of these little ones) onto a already mounted 30x40in. canvas.
        The idea is to have these smaller canvases sort of pop out on the big one.

The problem I am facing is that the bigger canvas is already stretched on a frame and lacks support at the back for me to glue all these (about 15 pieces) on to it. So how should I go about building a support on the back?

Secondly, what glue would work best to stick them together? The local art store suggested wood glue.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
        :cat:
        Crazycat001

fazzy01

Hi there

I have done this a few times for my clients, especially for an artwork of mine called beautiful strange. I used golden’s gel medium to stick the three small canvasses onto the big canvas and it has always worked very very well. It sticks very well but make sure you don’t use too much that it seaps from the sides when pressing onto the big canvas or too less that it doesn’t stick.

Check out my website and see artwork called beautiful strange.

artist website www.minimalmagic.co.uk

crazycat001

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. And I really liked your artwork on the website! I saw the one you mentioned. My only concern; will the canvas hold 16 such small pieces without sagging? The 30x40inch canvas is already stretched (but without a support at the back). Do you usually stretch yours over a board or does it work without a board to support at the back?

Thanks,
                Crazycat001

fazzy01

Every canvas I use is purchased from an art store so they are all pre-stretched but never had problems with sagging. I know you are using quite a lot of small canvasses so the small canvasses may push their weight slightly when the artwork is laid flat. You have to remember your artwork will always be displayed upright so this problem you have concerns over may not occur. I know it didn’t on mine.

Or your other option would be to use an artist wooden panel of 30″ x 40″ instead of stretched canvas.

Hope it goes well and let us see the results when completed

artist website www.minimalmagic.co.uk

Guide

Have you considered a structure behind the canvas that you could screw the other canvases to from behind the canvas, through to the canvases sitting on the front.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                        The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                        "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                        "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

I would opt for something rigid instead of canvas if you have that option. Otherwise, as idylbrush suggested, support attached to the back that would allow the assemblage to be screwed in would be the best way to ensure the canvas doesn’t sag.

For the amount of assemblage weight you’re describing, I think the underlying canvas would become stressed. I’ve used smaller canvas on a larger substrate as well, and I think panel is the safest and best bet. If it’s the texture of the substrate canvas you’re after, you can use acrylic medium to achieve that.

"Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys." - Emma Bull

"You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own." - George Carlin

I agree that using a wooden panel as a support for the entire work would be the best way to do this. An added benefit is that not only could you adhere the smaller canvases to the surface, but you could also use short wood screws, driven through the back of the panel, to secure each small canvas. They’d be supported, and they’d never fall off.

If it’s the texture of the substrate canvas you’re after, you can use acrylic medium to achieve that.

Or, you could “stretch” the canvas by gluing it to the wood panel, then priming it, rather than painting directly on the panel itself.

crazycat001

Hi Everyone,

From the reviews I gather that I should build some kind of support structure for the larger canvas. I am considering taking the canvas off the frame and then re-doing it on a ply board so that I can glue + nail the other canvases onto the larger one. I def. dont want them to fall off since I am going to gift this project.

I will put up the project when its complete. Also I need to take it to UK, so I might actually finish all of the pieces separately and then put it together in UK.

Any suggestions on the type/quality of board I should use for this?

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and a good start to the new year.

Thanks,
                            Crazycat001

suzlebeau

I’ve glued things like mirrors onto canvas without problems of stretching. I also use acrylic gel medium. If you mount it on a board, any decent quality should be ok, but PRIME the board first! The acids can eventually eat through your canvas.

We are not human beings having a spiritual journey, but spiritual beings having a human journey.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.