Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum VOC in oil paint? sorry to be a party pooper ;?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tidal

Voc’s found in household oil paints the off gases I know ain’t that good but is it the same with oil paints in artists products? If it is the same then :/ uuhhggh?
        I’m guessing small painting wouldn’t be too bad but am asking as I like to go a bit large scale …would you knock yourself out with the gasses that massive size? I did get kindly a pdf suggested by gigalot to read through on what different paints are made of but it was very long and i just wondered if anyone had the short answer :) I am guessing household oil paints have other stuff in them for to help them dry or level out etc where as artists oil paints have the linseed or other oil in them but the driers etc…? guessing it’s about the size being different ie household you got a whole room of paint smell but artists picture small in comparison etc etc

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Humbaba

You should not compare household paint with artist paint. Household paint comes already diluted, oil paint normally comes in tubes, concentrated, you then use your innocuous medium to help with its fluidity.

Ventilation is key in the process of creating art, it is not like painting a wall or a house. By they way, whenever I can, I paint big.

Don Ketchek

The short answer is that that this subject came up a few years ago. I posed the question to AMIEN, a group of art materials experts (unfortunately no longer with us), and they said that there is no issue with VOCs from an oil painting.

Don

tidal

Yes thanks DON btw i understand amien no longer here :( anyhoo I did think that was case just wasn’t 100% sure

Humbaba ventilation is great when you live somewhere with ideal weather but i live on a damp rock in middle of a jungle ! Makeing your own paint is the best way you can go total control freak and make it just how you want it.Guesing when it comes to how big you want to go is limited to wherever you can paint also

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Pinguino

Of course, if you are using any kind of thinner (turps, OMS) then you will have VOCs. That’s because these fundamentally are mixtures of VOCs.

Some alkyd paints and mediums have thinner added. If in doubt, read the labels and MSDS.

Making your own paint is a bad idea if you lack ventilation, because many of the pigments (as dry pigment) are respiratory hazards, even though the liquid and dried paint is not.

The oil paints I use are, AFAIK, entirely free of VOCs unless I intentionally add some myself. Nevertheless, there will be a slight odor while the paint is curing, because that’s the way oil paint cures. With a small canvas, I don’t even notice it unless I stick my nose next to the canvas, and (not having allergies) it is entirely non-hazardous.

Humbaba

Making your own paint is a bad idea if you lack ventilation, because many of the pigments (as dry pigment) are respiratory hazards, even though the liquid and dried paint is not.

Good point.

Making your own paint, in addition of being a health hazard, it is a real pain in the neck. You need space, tools that need cleaning and maintenance, patience, and certain physical strength, it can be costly too.

contumacious

Some people are sensitive to the various oils used in paints, others are bothered by the fumes given off when the oils cure. I am not, plus I actually like both of those odors.

I don’t see how making your own paints is a bad idea. I think it is a fantastic idea! I really enjoy making my own paint, though I can see how it might not be for every artist. I find it relaxing and fulfilling plus I can get the exact mix I want for as much as 90% less $$ than many commercial paints – which is a factor since I often paint on full 4×8 sheets. While mulling I can listen to music, watch a movie or talk with friends and family as it doesn’t take that much concentration due to the repetitive nature of the movements. If you wear a decent mask the airborne pigment is not a problem. Once the pigment is wetted by the oil, which only takes a few minutes, there is no dust.

Techgeek

Of course, if you are using any kind of thinner (turps, OMS) then you will have VOCs. That’s because these fundamentally are mixtures of VOCs.

Some alkyd paints and mediums have thinner added. If in doubt, read the labels and MSDS.

The oil paints I use are, AFAIK, entirely free of VOCs unless I intentionally add some myself. Nevertheless, there will be a slight odor while the paint is curing, because that’s the way oil paint cures. With a small canvas, I don’t even notice it unless I stick my nose next to the canvas, and (not having allergies) it is entirely non-hazardous.

Just a little thought: the release of aldehydes (including Formaldehyde) has been documented with the drying of linseed oil. Can’t remember where I saw this. Might have been in some research from the 1940’s.
                                    Part of what we smell when our paint dries?

ntl

materials information &Technical Resources for Artists
                                        https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra

Gigalot

Just a little thought: the release of aldehydes (including Formaldehyde) has been documented with the drying of linseed oil. Can’t remember where I saw this. Might have been in some research from the 1940’s.
                                            Part of what we smell when our paint dries?

Yes. Aldehydes, ketones, different organic acids are a volatile products of drying oil. You can study these if you try to search oil ransidification products. They are a part of rancid oil as well.

FloatingDove

AMIEN is no longer here, BUT THEY ARE….https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/forums

My cat is the inspiration for my paintings. Cassandra is in all my paintings, as she wants to live in a better world. She and millions of her feline family are suffering silently needlessly. https://www.facebook.com/OilPaintingsofCatDreams/
                                                Gigalot

Zinc isn’t popular nova days. Zinc hounds are everywhere in all countries! :) They totally ignore all positive facts of Zinc White addition into oil paint and spread gossips about their Zinc White cracks “theory”.
                                                    But you can always try to use safe acrylic primer for flexible support.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.