Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Can anyone help me with this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DarrenW

I am trying to find out who “Lee” is..

There is no information on reverse of the canvas. It is quite a large painting
        1200 mm x 600 mm

Thank you all

Darren

Kiffin

There was a painter Frederick Richard Lee 1798-1879 who painted in that style. Evidently he did a lot of paintings unsigned. I cannot imagine that he would have signed just Lee in those days.
            See http://www.avictorian.com/Lee_Frederick_Richard.html

Does it appear to be an old painting?

DarrenW

Hi Kiffin
                I have come across Fredericks works while trawling the Internet and yes it does look remarkably similar but most of his signed paintings that I have managed to view are signed F.R.Lee.

It does look old and it does not smell like new oil paint, it has no smell.

Thanks for taking the time to look

Darren

Kiffin

Darren could someone have added the signature to an unsigned work.

Anonymous

Remove it from the frame and look at the stretcher, reverse side of canvas, fittings, etc. Do the stretcher bars look new? The type of wood used can give an indication of the age. And the type of tacks or whatever used to attached the canvas will also vary according to the age of the painting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.