Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil My first colored pencil attempt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    huanghehe

Experimenting with colored pencil. The skin color does not seem to be right. Hope to hear a few tips from you. Many thanks in advance!

It is not necessarily wrong.. depending on the lighting you want.

That said you made the shadows with neutral colors that tend to reduce a bit the life in an organic image. Since color combination in CP is mostly optical blending , using a slight warmer or slight colder color to extend the range of temperature usually nets a better result for living subjects. That usually is more important in CP than in painting because of the way the color mixing happens.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Wassie

I think the shadow side needs to be blended more. Right now it looks as though she has a beard. I would remove the line outlining her face. I think you’ve done a very good job. I’m fairly new to CP, too, and I find it challenging.

HobbyG33k

It’s so beautiful and so GOOD! I don’t know what is wrong with it. But I get the skin color problem. that’s the problem I’ve had with skin color with colored pencils all along. I finally gave up and started using Watercolors, the what is it, Naples Yellow I think it’s called? then used Colored Pencils to fill in the dark and shadow areas. What specifically is your question though? Maybe if you could narrow it own a bit. Because colors in real life versus colors taken by a camera and then projected on a computer screen … well,, they can get kinda skewed to say the least. So if you could clarify exactly what you’re seeing and needing help with in real life that would be GREAT.
                Not saying I can really help but I might be able too. If nothing else I could look up info. for you =-)

Boafamily

I like your style and I don’t see anything wrong per se as only you can speak to what you were trying to achieve, but this is an awesome first work and you are a natural so keep at it.

KaySilver

It’s lovely work, especially for a first try with coloured pencils.

I don’t do portraiture so I’ve no helpful suggestions about skin tones, but I can certainly recommend the ‘sphere shading’ technique to try out colour combinations before you start your drawing.

Just draw some very faint circles and then shade them as spheres using different combinations of pencils (note which pencils next to each). It’s a very effective way to see how the pencil combinations work together to shade a 3 dimensional shape.

I hope you continue to experiment with coloured pencils – they do take some getting used to but it’s worth it. I would enjoy seeing more of your work.

huanghehe

Thanks everyone for taking your precious time to leave valuable advice and kind comments here. I will definitely your suggestions and show results in the future posts. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.