Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture from portrait groups

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Its been a while since I last posted in the portrait forum. I really only get to paint portraits at our local portrait groups, these generally seem to last for 5 or sometimes six 20 minute poses and I seem to have got into the habit of doing a 60 minute painting and then a 40 minute one. I thought I’d post a selection from the last year.

all on A3 size paper or canvas

Mac

huanghehe

These are outstanding, Mac! Great capture on all of them.
        Having the longer pose and then the shorter pose would make it a challenge for me- but you have no problem with this. Do you find that it makes for a better practice?
        What medium are you using?

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

thanks Helen

Bethany I find the portrait groups a bit like an extended life drawing group, the subject sits for 20 minutes has a break and then sits down again. I get to a stage where I feel I’m just fiddling around and have decided that I’m better off starting another one, changing positions or changing mediums.

Because of the distance from the sitter, changes in movement and often light from windows I just regard them as ‘studies’, if they were serious portraits I’d really like another sitting, this way I have a non pressured or non-precious approach which I think helps me to be a bit more expressive.

I nearly always use oils, I used to work on stretched canvas and boards but I finish up with piles of these ! and so have recently taken to working on gessoed paper or loose canvas, and have the occasional stab with watercolour.

Mac

123harry

These are excellent! Non-precious I think sums them up very well. You’ve got the subject down with the minimum of fuss. The approach produces nice flowing shapes and simple,bold compositions. You use some lovely quiet colour harmonies.
            Thanks for posting these. An example to us all!

C&C always welcome.
            Instagram harry.hamill

maryinasia

Love this!

Mamalynn

Thanks Mac for these. Nothing like quick life paintings. They are fresh and well rendered. Great help to me to see these.

Loretta7

These are outstanding – what a wonderful collection. Very well done!

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

LENGERT

These are wonderful.

sanlynn

thanks for those analytical comments Harry

thanks Mary

Mamalynn thanks, it’s helpful and rewarding to know that others can get something out of these

thanks for the positive comments Loretta

Sandra thanks.

*Bethany some other thoughts about doing the two is that there are so few opportunities to paint live people, this way and I can actually get two chances:smug: and hopefully it is helping me to become more efficient and decisive.

Mac

picassolite

Such a diverse group of expressions – and you captured the variety.

carolkay

Some great works here Mac- lots of character !!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success

picassolite thanks, with portrait groups the expressions are usually very similar but its good to catch that little bit of variety.

thanks Carol, it’s enjoyable to have the opportunity to paint so many differing personalities.

Mac

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.