Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time June 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Welcome summertime. (I guess) Personally it gets too warm for me even tho’ we live above 3000ft and it’s cooler than the lower elevations. But living this far north the summer is only about 3 months, 4 at most. When I lived in California, it was summer 8 months out of the year. A bad year, summer was 10 months.

Lena, sorry you are already dealing with fires and smoke. Stay safe.

Not much to report today for fiber arts. DH and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary. :heart: I’ll get back to making tomorrow.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Happy June! A few days late, but I made it….

My friend Pam and her buddy Rags dropped by. Rags for some reason has adopted me, and always makes a run for one of the goats. I am guessing that they carry my scent. :lol: Rags only grabs one to snuggle with, pillow-like. Quite amusing.

Been accepted for a second year at the Great Dickens Christmas Fair. Which is good because I am already deep in spinning and small art quilts in preparation.:lol: And buying a few things for my cart environ. I am hoping to be assigned the same space as last year, but we have all been informed of some reworking of the layout, so….

But I found this rocking chair on my local Craig’s list.

My thought was for one of my helpers, who has a disability and needs to sit. But I think it will be too small for her. BUT I am finding it is TERRIFIC for knitting in my attic studio. I found the same chair online dated 1880-90 manufacture for 6 x the price I paid!! I am contemplating recaning the seat myself. I might get a quote on the cost. I’ve always wanting to try caning. But time is always a factor. Cost vs time.

SIGH. I just want more time and energy!!!!!

Jen

Jennifer Landau
        Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, Rags with the goat is so sweet. That chair looks great. Good luck with the caning choice. Hope you can find something for your helper to use.

I’ve got the embroidery bug this week. I’m looking at all my WIPs and trying to decide which one I want to work on. :lol:

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Wow June already!
                Today was fabulous, cloudy, warm, windy and no smoke! The wind kept the bugs away mostly. I sat in the garden. Of course I was in no shape to do any gardening today, sigh. I was dizzy and my knees hurt. So I sat outside and knitted and the dog ate dandelion heads.

That is a nice chair, Jen. I suspect caning is hard on the hands, the stuff is always on so tight. I had a chair where the cane was replaced with a tooled leather piece.

Doll Art by Lena

yes, Lena, I am wondering if I am crazy to consider it!

Jennifer Landau
                Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

Some times it is worth boosting the local economy to save your hands, Jen. Think of it as supporting a local crafts person.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, glad you were able to enjoy a bit of outdoors. Tiny steps sometimes is all we can do.

Jen, I’m actually with Lena on this. Caning a chair has got to be hard on the hands. Supporting someone who knows the craft might be the better way to go.

So, since I got the embroidery bug, of course, I start a new project rather than pick up an old one. :lol: The only WIP I have is a full coverage cross-stitch Christmas stocking for my daughter-in-law. I really should be working on that as it will take years to do as it is. And then, there is the next stocking for my son. But… I have been able to re-discover my music this last year and have a few tin whistles and Native American flutes. I wanted a travel case for them and am designing a soft case for them using perforated plastic canvas. Still working out exact dimensions and deciding a color scheme. I have a blackwork embroidery design I want to use picked out. Traditional blackwork is, of course, black on white. However, I don’t want a white travel case showing all the grime. I was thinking about reversing it and doing white on black. But, I was also leaning towards a tone on tone kind of thing with dusty blue background and navy blue stitching. Or, the same idea in green. Now, if only my energy matched my enthusiasm.

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

You know, ladies, I think you may well be right about supporting a local crafter/artist and saving both my hands and my time.:thumbsup:

Debby, I am laughing (with you and at myself) for the comment about starting a new project (when bitten by a new creative bug). Indeed. Sometimes I feel like a bee zooming around a garden sampling rather than getting on with the job of really making honey.

Art quilts and spinning on hold for the moment. I have got to finish several baby gifts before the babies outgrow what I am making?!:lol:

Jen

Jennifer Landau

Debby

Jen, better hurry. Babies grow at an astonishing rate as you well know. What are you making the littles?

Onto plan B. The plastic canvas route isn’t going to work with my aging hands and eyes. :rolleyes: I cut one panel and decided to do a test. I didn’t even get 4 rows done of the black background before my hands were aching. (I tell you, whoever came up with this aging thing ought to be punished.) Anyway, as I said, plan B. I am working out dimensions to make a fabric roll. Like a pencil roll but large enough to hold a few tin whistles. I figure I can use waste canvas to do the blackwork design I want to use and decorate the outside. A lot less stitching to achieve a pretty. Now to look through my stash and find a piece of fabric that will work.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Here is one sweater!

left overs from several Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmiro – wonderfully soft. I found the stripe pattern on Ravelry, naturally. Perfect for using up colors.

Another needs yet a photo, and yet another is STILL on the needles. Hope to be done today!

Jennifer Landau

Debby

Jen, sweet little sweater.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

That is a cute sweater, Jen! I love the asymmetry.

Debbie, as I hunted for my N95 mask I found my serger mask. I find if I do more then a couple of minutes I need to wear a mask. Because the serger cut the fabric fast it generates a lot of dust. So just a warning to you.

The weather has been ok this week with little smoke and it rained today and yesterday. Our rain barrels were full and we drained them into additional garbage cans because more rain will be falling tomorrow. We bought another rain barrel today but I don’t know if it will be installed before tomorrows rain.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

It is raining again today !!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I am making rhubarb jam. My rhubarb and the neighbours all exploded so I am dealing with 5 lbs of rhubarb. I will give him a jar.

Here is a pic of the stockings I made just before I finished the toes. The woman has much bigger legs then me so they look a bit loose.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for the serger tip. I’ll keep that in mind. The stocking looks great.

So bleary today. I didn’t sleep well. This night shift is really killing my motivation to do much of anything. Shh… don’t tell DH. He’s feeling guilty enough as it is dragging me onto night shift. I have to say he’s a lot less stressed and this is only temporary until he’s ready to retire next year.

Debby
                                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Oh my, it has gotten warm in San Francisco! Not good with the heat. Over 80 and I start to wither!

OK, here is another sweater:

hmm, the color doesn’t show well. But the style does! Wool is Cascade 220.

and the other:

this one is from Romney wool, I spun, both the light and dark natural.

Jennifer Landau

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.