WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Re: MfM does the STEMS event again

some very good plain air work !!!!!!

Ronnie
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2016, 04:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kansas

Hails from United States

Thanks Ronnie & Robyn!
In fact I've done well in the event so far. the first thing is a judging and then they hold a "VIP Party" to which artists are not invited. We get e-mails telling us not to show up! Then the sponsors and whoever-they-are get a first shot at the art and I suspect some wine and cookies. They hang all the winners together on a wall.... not the winners... the winning paintings.

Looking closely shows my two pieces both with red ribbons so I apparently have 2nd place in both oils and acrylics categories. There were about 100 artists who could enter up to 3 pieces each. Bad weather probably cut the numbers a bit. Really pleased of course, (and hoping someone buys 'em).

Comments ? Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 06-07-2016 at 04:29 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Congratulations!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

... and they both were sold.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2016, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

My favorite one in the lot was your "late and Wet" painting. This one has a great composition and overall atmosphere to it. It is no surprise that it sold!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 AM
canada

Hails from Canada

Some really nice efforts here Dave. Out of your first grouping here, I like that night scene and the last one a lot. Never done a night scene myself, but I'm sure you do get interesting characters stopping by! lol

Out of the second group, I really like the ones with figures "behind the market" and "late and wet" look very nice. Nice energy/atmosphere captured in both of these ones.

Great stuff. cheers Mike

INSTAGRAM
WEBSITE
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Mike:
"Nocturnes" are fun and something different to do. The thing with night work is how you light the work and your setup. I use multi-LED lamps that I've put clamps onto, on both sides of the work and move them up and down as I need to. I took clamps from photo reflectors. The lamps are work-lights from Harbour Freight... I seem to recall. I tape over the sides of the lamps to keep stray light out of my eyes. They look like this. Other artists have of course their own answers.

Then I have an additional, smaller LED lamp or two for the palette area. The LEDs are fairly good for judging colors. One of the popular LED head lamps is not usable as it only shows a spot and that is reflecting back into your eyes at that.

With oils I like to start with a dark surface thats dry... black, blue or gray and I sketch on that with white or yellow on a rigger.

Have fun, Dave

Last edited by manfrommerriam : 07-08-2016 at 09:45 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Well, here it is 2017 and it's STEMS time again. The weather was spotty with some thunderstorms rolling through but then we'd get great days as well. After a few days we received an e-mail opening up the area of Overland Park, Kansas in which we could paint. That was welcome as it allowed more choices of subjects. I did my pieces in different media because there are separate media catgories of judging. Here are my three entrants.

/\ This is a watercolor and pen thing on 11x15" (28x38 CM) Strathmore 140CP paper. A shopping center called Windmill Village. It also has a clock tower and a bell tower and the latter is my subject.

/\ Then I went to a closed shopping center. One of the ones slated for redevelopment. From there I had a view across an avenue to modern glass sided office towers. This is my set up. It took two days because I had to go home and return with a T-square, (!) for the verticle lines. This is alkyd oils on a 20x16" (40.6x51 CM) Richeson gessoed panel.

/\ Had some fun with this thing.

/\ On a third day there and turning 90 degrees to the left I painted one of the two landmark towers of the old shopping center from the same location. It was shady there and protected from the rain.

/\ I'm calling this "Waiting". It's an acrylic on an 8x10" (20.3x25.4 CM) Fredrix canvas board.

So, that's the three I turned in for STEMS this afternoon. Fingers crossed for the jurying.

Comments ? Dave
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2017, 09:28 PM
A WC! Legend

beautiful! thanks for the led lamps to paint at night tip
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States

Shopping centers! Seems like that would be an unusual choice of subject and that alone would make your work stand out. Painting in different media sure was a good strategy for you last year.

My favorite is the office building because of the composition and the interpretive color. Your sky in the acrylic piece is really arresting as well. Acually, the more I look at the acrylic, the more I like it.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Oh GOSH... I signed up for this thing again! Tomorrow evening is the canvas stamping. I'm thinking watercolors this year. Fingers crossed on the weather.
-Dave
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

So, Sunday in a drizzle sitting in the back of the Art Mobile doing a pen drawing of a building... an old house. Tomorrow, if eastern Kansas dries up, I'll return and this will become a pen & wash piece for one of the STEMS challenges. My bride calls this weather "the STEMS curse".
-Dave
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Got the first challenge done yesterday and today in two sittings I did the second one... an apartment house. Both are 11x15 or 15x11 pen and wash pieces. Next I've gotta get these into frames for friday evening and I need three more pieces for the show by the end of next week.
-Dave
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 AM
Kansas

Hails from United States

Okay, I have the two challenges framed. I'll reuse these frames and one more new one for my three show entries... assuming these don't sell Friday evening. Tomorrow back out to paint... weather holding up that is.
-Dave
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

In the morning I did two watercolors in and around downtown Overland Park. Feeling a bit snarky I did these to look good in, (if/when) I reuse the two frames I have already bought for the STEMS challenges.

Friday... we just had a big storm go through. It's the STEMS Curse overshadowing the challenges turn-in this evening.
-Dave