WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Stitch in Time May 2019

Sergers are nice. I have a whole bunch of "gored" skirts I made with mine. They have 6 gores so you have width at the bottom and the top is hip width and elastic wait band. With pockets, I added pockets of course.
They are great for making curtains too. And theatre costumes, fast and tidy.

I took some cold meds. Now I can't focus on anything for more than a few minutes.

I hope your mother's house sells quickly so that will be off your plate.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I know I can't do anything when on cold meds. All you can do is nap and are able to breath while doing so. Focus on getting better.

I too hope mom's house sells quickly. Odds are good. Apparently there is a shortage of country homes on acreage around here. It means she will probably get the price she wants and it'll sell before the end of the year. Yay!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Remember all you need is one sucker to make a sale!

(Why yes I am still on cold meds)
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2019, 04:59 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, you are absolutely correct. Cold meds or not.

Working on the book repair for mom. Continuing to poke at making critters. Still no glowing inspiration for dolls.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I am feeling a bit better today, but I am still short of breath. I managed to get out and pick up some food at the gf bakery so I don't have to make it. I got myself a lemon meringue pie....

My sister's sale fell through due to finances so she had more showings on the weekend and another bidding war. This time she sold it for over the asking price. This is to give you hope.

I am still knitting on the stockings.

I am sorry about the lack of inspiration for the doll. Inspiration is an illusive critter that never comes when called. You have to sort of sneak up on it by doing other things so it thinks you are not interested.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, glad you are feeling a bit better. Ooh, pie. Enjoy. Thanks for the real estate pep talk.

The lack of inspiration is why I'm working on the book repair, making critters and playing on my new gaming system. DH keeps encouraging me to play and not worry about things so I'll get that inspiration. It'll happen eventually. In the meantime, I have other things to keep my hands busy.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

We have RAIN!
Unfortunately it is not raining north and west of us where the big fires are. Yes the province is on fire again, towns are being evacuated.

I turned the heel on the stockings. I feel like I am in a race with the amount of yarn I have!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 05:47 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, rain, yay! I hear you racing yarn. I feel that way with lengths of embroidery floss sometimes. Do I have enough I can make it to the end with what is left or will I need another piece?

Well, no offer on mom's house. Hoping it'll show again soon.

The Bible repair is a fail. It is aesthetically flawed. Structurally, it's sound, but I had a few things happen I didn't expect. One the wax paper I had to keep the glue from seeping to the next page ended up folded up under the book in the press. There are now permanent crease marks in the cover. And, I'd not worked with mulberry paper before. It is very permeable to glue and what is underneath shows thru after the glue is dry. *sigh* Now I know to watch the paper going into the press and to back the mulberry paper. But, now I need to decide if I surgically remove the cover and start over again or not. I was doing this as an "I'll try." I'll show it to mom and see if she can live with the lack of aesthetics or not. It also makes me realize how much I still need to learn about bookbinding.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Maybe a nice brown paper cover?
Or an embroidered slip on cover? That was one of the projects we did in grade 3.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 06:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, the job was adding a hard cover to a torn paperback book. I put the thing in a laying press and re-glued the spine since it was a paperback. Then I glued mull to the spine with about an inch extra to either side to become the new hinges. I glued an end paper to the front and the back to sandwich the mull between the end paper and the book board. The end paper was mulberry paper. Mom's choice since she wanted a neutral and that's what I had that was tan/beige. I covered the book board with faux leather then glued the cover to the end pages creating a hard cover and an open spine. I probably should have created the end pages out of kraft paper. I had that, it's neutral.

Anyway, I'm doing the adult things yesterday and today. I'll get back to sewing and stuff on Sunday.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Ugh. Smoke from the fires invaded the town today. Ugly dirty orange skies and the smell of smoke everywhere. And I am coughing constantly.

Not much I can do except sit and knit. Even with the Heppa filter the house smells of smoke.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, that's awful. Hope the air clears soon.

Not much going on here. I was kind of holding until mom saw her Bible and made a judgement if it was good enough or she wanted me to do it again. I really didn't want to be in the middle of something else, then have to drop it if she wanted a re-do. Now, DH has a medical issue and we are going to the clinic, not out to dinner with mom. I get to decide on a new project because it'll probably be a week or more before I see mom again.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-31-2019, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Funny how blessings can come in disguise.

The smoke was better this morning because the wind changed. The fires are still raging out of control and we are warned it can return at any time. There is no real rain forecast for up there for at least another 2 weeks. The army has been called in.