Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #592 – June 21-June 29

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Joan T

Scavenger Hunt #592 – June 21-June 29

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347

Here are the rules for the hunt:

* All items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list.
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 ..till #26 (If you complete all items on list). Do them in whatever order you wish.
        * Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, then the next hunt will start.
        * Please tell us about your subjects and sketching/painting setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyways. Commenting is appreciated but not necessary. ***

This was posted by Pine Cone over on the sign-up page. EP was supposed to post it for her but seems to not have gotten to it. Maybe EP can fix it so it shows that it is from Pine Cone and not me, but I thought we needed to get it posted.

In Pine Cone’s words: “Since it looks like there isn’t a host yet for tomorrow, I wanted to provide a list, just in case it would help. I’m not able to host because my accident-related condition is always unknown in advance. I’m so sorry. But if this list would help make it easier for any of you to host on short notice, please grab it. If not, no worries.”

Anyway we are very low on hosts, so sign up if you can.

Scavenger Hunt #592 – June 21-June 29
        lace
        ladder
        lake
        lamb
        lamp…lamplight
        land…landmark
        late
        lattice
        laurel
        lavender
        leaf
        lemon…lemonade
        liberty
        library
        light…lightning
        limbo
        linoleum
        llama
        loaf
        loquacious
        lotion
        love…lovely
        luxurious
        lyric…lyrical

Whoops Word: soLstice because it’s the 21st (!!!)

Free Choice Item: something you Love

Challenge for Northern Hemisphere: Celebrate the Long Lovely days near the solstice by getting up early or staying up Late to sketch something you love 😍

Challenge for Southern Hemisphere: Make your way through these shortened days with less sunlight by sketching something you love that reminds you of sunnier times to come.

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
        [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Joan T

1 – liberty (flag) – direct watercolors
            2 – traffic light (sub for lamplight)

Pine Cone

Joan — Thank you so much for stepping in to be the host this week. I’m grateful to you.

Maybe EP can fix it so it shows that it is from Pine Cone and not me,

PLEASE DON’T DO as mentioned in the quote above.

I can’t host properly since I never know from one day to the next how much of that day will have to be spent in recovery mode (in other words nauseated and lying down because of an old wreck-related injury).

Although I can get some head-turning-intensive things like errands, or care of loved ones, done on will power, that will power won’t run to nine straight days, so I would make a bad host. Also, when I run on will power for any length of time, recovery mode tends to increase exponentially in extreme multiples of time as a result.

In other words, if I force-gain five hours of head-turning functioning to accomplish necessary or important tasks, I may add fifteen or twenty additional hours of brain-recovery-mode time (to the usual time already needed several times a day) in order to get back to being able to do the next task that involves head-turning or head-dipping and the inevitable recovery moda (nausea mode) that follows.

I know this is more than anyone wants to know about me, cry me a river and all that, but it’s my way of begging you to NOT request my name to be put as the host.

I want to do it, but I can’t.

Thank you for understanding.

P.S. Don’t anyone go feeling all sorry for me. That’s not the point of the above information. In fact, I feel VERY fortunate in that I’m otherwise healthy and mobile and can do what needs to be done as well as many things that I simply enjoy. But I have to parcel out those activities, and only do a little at a time, between recovery times that are necessary each and every day, and are usually needed several times a day.

Please understand.

I can’t be a host.

Thank you for understanding.

Signed,

Pine Cone

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

Pine Cone

Joan — Your corner is gorgeous and your colors sing :clap: An amazing start to the event!!! 🎨

eyepaint

Joan – thank you for posting the new list. I was delighted you posted this list. I didn’t get to it earlier today. Well done on those colourful flags!

-- EP Moderator for:
                        All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

Thanks Pine Cone and EP! Glad to step in and post this. I will host as much as I can and Pine Cone you can step in when you are up to it. Will have to search for something loquacious. lol

Pine Cone

Thanks Pine Cone and EP! Glad to step in and post this. I will host as much as I can and Pine Cone you can step in when you are up to it. Will have to search for something loquacious. lol

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS]Awww Joan, thanks so much for understanding, and its a deal 😄

Unfortunately, you could sketch my avatar for “loquacious” :lol: I apologize for rambling on. And on and on!!![/FONT] :lol:

Thanks for the list, Pine Cone and Joan. :-)

Loquacious …. hmmmm…..

Joan, love the flag (as always) and the traffic light is a great idea.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                                My website https://jocastilloart.com

Pine Cone

Loquacious …. hmmmm…..

Jo — LOL :D You know, maybe a politician or two on tv, maybe the birds outside (according to a friend), maybe the in-laws (according to a different friend), maybe the neighbors partying at 3 a.m. at the top of their lungs LOL!!!!!

Joan — I was studying your painting again. Daring to do the cursive writing in direct watercolor :eek: is amazing, and it turned out so beautifully. And the colors you have chosen for each aspect are wonderful. I’m trying to steal them for a sketch at the moment (withut much success yet).

Same ole, sketched on the porch with Micron 02 in the big book from the “L”ovely list.
                                    Number 1 – llama – this is a mud/clay llama that survived the fire. It is on the porch rail and I have sketched it before, don’t know how it hasn’t washed away in the weather, must be fired but doesn’t look it. Well, it got fired in the fire. Anyway, I never noticed how big the llama is for the little man with his charango (musical instrument similar to a small guitar, used to be made from the shell of an armadillo) The sculpture is 6 or 7 inches tall.

Pine Cone

Jo — Awww, you came up with a llama!!! So cool 😍 I LOVE your sketch of them, and the llama looks like she’s smiling as the man plays his music :music: The lines scraped in the mud are effective. The texture it creates is wonderful and you captured it nicely in your sketch! Altogether adorable 🐾 ☀️ And the fabric in your photo is gorgeous, wow!

must be fired but doesn’t look it. Well, it got fired in the fire.[/quote]
                                        Aw sheesh… :crying:

Everyone — So speaking of birds from earlier, I was thinking we could edit our list. Like this…..

Pine Cone

item #1 – lace

a metal box[/color]

Northern Hemisphere Challenge: I worked on this late into the night last night, and got up early and worked on it some more.[/color]

I don’t really know how this square, open-topped box is supposed to be used, but I bought it anyway, years ago, probably from Hallmark. It reminded me of my Grandma.

I miss her and love her.

There were things I’ll never understand about her. Her rampant racial prejudice mystified me as a tiny tot, as well as an adult. But she had such a sweetness about her. A gentleness in her speech and movements. A love for her kid (my parent) that was unmistakable even as they bickered endlessly.

Grandma was a lovely person, inside and out.

I got this box because it oddly reminded me of her tiny crocheted-lace edgings. She would do eyelet stitches of some sort. And she would sometimes embroider flowers on the fabric too.

She did all this for things like pillowcases and handkerchiefs, all of which are long lost to the mists of time. But this box, even though it’s metal, had everything that Grandma’s crocheted lace edgings had — borders, scallops, eyelets, colors of nature. So home it came.

Although I accidentally went further with my interpretation, the actual box is very simple, with a purely flat finish. No shine at all, even though it’s metal.

I’ll post two sizes. The actual plain gray-green paint colors of the real box are shown in the upper left corners (as close as I could come anyway). Those colors also remind me of some of the lovely succulents that my Mom cultivated right inside our house (as well as outside in the summer). And even the colors I ended up with in the painting remind me of various lovely plants that my Mom planted and cared for in her beautiful gardens.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the color swatches, text, downsize, border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand. No drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

Pine Cone

item #2 – love

a plastic box[/color]

This is another little remembrance sketch for my lovely Grandma.

It’s a little round box, plastic, about 2.5 inches tall (about 65mm).

It wasn’t hers, but it reminds me of her. Like yesterday’s box, that’s why I got it. It’s a plain but warm beige shade. It reminds me of the serenity of her house. It looks ghostly in late light at some times of year. I tried to portray that.

Although as I mentioned yesterday, I’ll never understand some of her points of view, and will never, ever share them. But when I see this plastic box, I realize that many of those beliefs she held, were just laid upon her by others. She put those ideas on like clothes, and sometimes wore them around until they wore out, but they weren’t her. Not at her core.

I always knew this because I felt the gentle hugs, and I watched her eyes when she spoke of missing her husband. Her love and longing and sorrow were deep and genuine.

I love you Grandma.

Tools:

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil.

Procreate app (old version) for the sketch.

Art Studio Pro app for the downsize, border, and export.[/color]

Process:

Virtual acrylic on virtual panel.

Freehand. No drafting tools or tracing, digital or otherwise.

No grid or smoothing or symmetry or cloning, digital or otherwise.

No digital filters or effects. No digital color intensification or exaggeration.

Reference located a few inches away.[/color]

Joan T

Pine Cone – Thanks for being around to comment the last few days. I was busy one day with relatives and yesterday with a big art event where I was running the booth for one of my art groups. Didn’t have time to check in here and I haven’t sketched in two days!!! I am feeling withdrawal. lol Your sketches that remind you of your grandmother are lovely. I especially like the box with the lacy edges. I don’t understand some people’s beliefs but I’m sure there are reasons for their feelings. They grew up in very different times that we didn’t experience. When I think of my grandma I think of a sweet woman who had a very difficult life with my grandfather who we now think must have been bipolar. But she loved her children and grandchildren. We were blessed to be able to live in the same house with her (and my very strange grandfather). She was such a big part of our lives.

Jo, cute sculpture of the lama. Glad you still have treasures that survived the fire.

Thanks, Pine Cone. Wow on your boxes and story. I love the shadowing on the round box. Excellent on both.

Thanks, Joan. Boy it is hard to find time to sketch when art life gets in the way. I remember both grandmothers but didn’t know my grandfathers. My dad was 42 when I was born. Both grandmothers died when I was about 10 so a few fond memories.

I sketched on my stool in the living room with a Prismacolor 05 in the big book.

Number 2, ladder – good thing we don’t have to stand on the sketched ladder, it is straight in real life.
                                                    Number 3, lace – edge of curtain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.