Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking HIPS (Styrene)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    graphicali

Hi, I usually post in the Ab/Con forum but I have just started doing some monotype and collagraph prints. I read about silk aquatints and want to give it a try. The recommended material to use as a plate is HIPS or styrene as it is otherwise known.

I would like to know what thickness of HIPS sheet I should buy. Can anyone here help please?

"I am not yet born; provide me, with water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light in the back of my mind to guide me." From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
        Moqui Steps

From what I got from this article, you can use several materials as the support board, styrene, Plexiglas, wood or metal.

http://www.norsecode.com/mdpm/archive/98mar/featured.htm

Check the sign making shop supply businesses near you to see if they have Sintra or something similar. These are expanded PVC sign boards and they work really well for various techniques. They come in several thicknesses and colors. I like 6mm, white. You may want thinner or thicker depending on your press.

Another support that you might look for is laminated aluminum sign panels, known as Dibond or other trade names.

Both panels are light weight, the Dibond being more rigid but it won’t let you do relief printmaking like the Sintra will.

graphicali

Thank you Donald, that site is one that got me interested in the idea. I have found a company who will sell me offcuts, which will give me a chance to play with HIPS. I will look out for the other materials too. Hopefully I will manage to get a reasonable result!

"I am not yet born; provide me, with water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light in the back of my mind to guide me." From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
                Moqui Steps

You are welcome.

The HIPS is going to be a harder and smoother surface than the Sintra, somewhere between Plexiglass and Sintra, which may be better for the Silk method. I can dig my fingernail into Sintra and it will leave a dent.

Here is some discussion on Sintra vs. HIPS

http://barenforum.org/archives/vol12/v12_1121.txt

[INDENT]Actually Sintra and HIPS are two different kinds of plastics, the HIPS being more rigid and having a smoother surface. I think that more people are familiar with the Sintra because that was the first one “discovered” by artists. And, I think, most people are familiar with Peter Marcus’ giant collagraphs on Sintra. The two are very similar in that they can be used for all of the same processes, with a few advantages leaning toward each one. Artists who use plastic for collagraph often prefer Sintra because it has a light pebbled tooth to it (practically unnoticeable on sight) — automatic value, while still being able to wipe it white if you want white. Sintra is also preferable for drypoint as I believe the burr holds up longer. HIPS works for both of these processes, too; but the advantage to HIPS for me over Sintra is that I”ve had better luck with engraving tools on HIPS. Also, when I’m printing a line engraving, for example, I’m not always interested in having so much tone left on the plate. HIPS is very smooth and can be wiped clean with fairly normal intaglio wiping procedure. And, in the same respect, if my carving is intended as a relief engraving (“wood” engraving) I want to avoid rolling too much ink on the surface (lest the delicate lines fill in) so the smoother surface of the HIPS is preferable. Both are inexpensive and can be purchased from most any plastics company. Building stores have something called polystyrene but it is definitely not the same thing. I get mine from Cadillac Plastics. The standard sheet is 4×8′ but it can be easily cut down to size and/or shape with a mat knife, or the thinner sheets can be cut with a scissors. Okay, Die-hard Wood-people. Sorry, for the digression into the unnatural, fake world of resin. Karla Hackenmiller [/INDENT]

Let us know how you like it.

bridog

I had experimented with thin gauge styrene (2 mm or 1/16 inch thick non-glare plexiglass). I am intrigued by the Sintra and with Donalds advice I am looking into this more.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                        visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

mvidibor

I have a question about a drypoint done on styrene. I can’t seem to wipe the background clean with just some barely visible plate tone. I’m using akua ink.

bridog

I find Akua intaglio is different in it’s tackiness than inks made from flaxseed and other veg oil bases. The type of material being used for wiping the styrene plate also makes a difference. Instead of a coarser tartalan fabric (that can really scratch up acrylic) try wiping with bunched up softer web-like material. i use a dense web-like fabric I found at a local fabric shop and sold by the metre (or yard). It is used mainly as a fusing and hemming that is activated by a hot iron. However left alone in it’s natural state it works quite well for plate wiping.
                                Also a very gentle surface polish with tissue and finger tips can help greatly reduce plate tone. For spot detail highlights cotton swabs. Good luck!

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                                visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.