Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux First Time Painting Mural

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    krdart

Hi, I’m new here. I’ve been researching how to paint a mural. I’m already familiar with acrylics, so I’m not so concerned about the painting as I am the prep.

My parents want me to do a mural in their house. The walls are textured. What do I do? Do I sand it down or skim coat it? In my research I found both options. Sanding sounds like it could take awhile, but so does the skim coating. I’ve already checked to see if they have lead paint on their walls, and they don’t.

I skim coated a textured wall and it was a heck of a lot of work but the end result was worth it. Just be sure to be patient and let each layer dry thoroughly.

I didn’t sand it down as mine was textured drywall board as opposed to texture added to a flat drywall so the texture was extremely hard. It also had several layers of paint and it would have been difficult and time consuming to get it flat.

If theirs is added texture on a flat drywall, then sanding flat might work out better for you.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

krdart

Thank you for that advice! Yes, theirs is added texture on a flat drywall, I believe. It’s “knockdown” texture. I will think about which to do. We met and talked about it and it seems they want just a small area for the mural, so sanding might be the better option. I’ll see what they say.:thumbsup:

contumacious

Hi, I’m new here. I’ve been researching how to paint a mural. I’m already familiar with acrylics, so I’m not so concerned about the painting as I am the prep.

My parents want me to do a mural in their house. The walls are textured. What do I do? Do I sand it down or skim coat it? In my research I found both options. Sanding sounds like it could take awhile, but so does the skim coating. I’ve already checked to see if they have lead paint on their walls, and they don’t.

How would they feel about some very thin butt joints between 4 foot widths? If I was ever to do a full wall sized mural, I would want to paint on Dibond or M-Panel ACM panels rather than on drywall. There are several high tech methods to attach the panels to the wall. By working on the panels you can finish it in your studio then install it when done. The ACM panels come in 48″ widths and up to 10 feet in length. Some can be had larger than that if I recall correctly.

Another option is a roll of canvas that fits the wall that can be attached before painting on it, or when the painting is done with Beva 317 liquid adhesive. The Beva would allow removal of the canvas later if desired.

http://www.bigduckcanvas.com/12-11-5oz-duck/12-cotton-duck-rolls-various-widths/96-inch-wide-canvas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.