Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Mountain Landscape WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keke2313

Hey everyone! I’ve been working on my first landscape (I should probably finish my other projects too..haha) and having fun with it. It’s not done and it’s a little dark but what do you think? On the right track? I know the bridge needs work. It’s a landscape out of my imagination.

gaykir

Very nice start.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

~JMW~

Mountains & grasses look great.
                Composition tip – try to avoid a sky/land 50/50 split, same for side to side.. centered objects and lined up/stacked objects..

Rule of thirds is helpful for planning comps.
                https://www.google.com/search?ei=PiZEW8j1I5C2jwSw4JyABw&q=rule+of+thirds+in+art&oq=Rule+of+thirds&gs_l=psy-ab.1.5.0i71k1l8.0.0.0.4171.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0….0…1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0….0.XjaW-ZlBsww

~Joy~

Katie Black

I think its coming along nicely.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Keke2313

Thank you everyone! Oh yes, I forgot about the rule of thirds! And I can’t bring myself to erase all that work. Rats!

~JMW~

Is it mainly a black & white value study?
                            Or will you add colors later?

~Joy~

Keke2313

I was going to do it is black and white and do the river in color reflecting the sky but now I feel like it will look dumb. So, I don’t know…

Boafamily

This is coming along, so keep at it my friend.

Yeah, you broke some rules in the composition but other than it looks good.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                    Every painting is a new adventure.

By all means do finish it because there is good work in it. I’m with Michelle on this.

Honestly, it’s only paint on a surface. If you keep at it (I hope you do – there’s skill in evidence here) within three years you will have more of these things than you really want to keep around. In five to six years they will be everywhere, worse than the Tribbles.

If you don’t get the reference, here’s a link to a clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wM5KvUGEc

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Keke2313

Perhaps it’s worth doing those areas over and movin the bridge to more align with the guidelines if it is going to make it a better composition.

Thank you for taking the time to critique it. :)

Here’s my two cents. You have done good work on the painting, but the composition as it is will always be a problem.

My suggestion is that you look for a landscape reference in the Reference Image Linrary or from your own photos that you find appealing and consider starting a new painting. Having seen a lot of landscape paiintings, I have found that for me the best ones are drawn from reality, rather than imagination. (Sorry Bob Ross). Keep this one to show you and guide you with all the elements that you did well, as an example and inspiration for the next.

Of course you could disregard what I said and keep at this one, and produce a good painting. But I think you have the technique that should be put to the benefit of a stronger composition. And then you’ll end up with something that is really successful.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Keke2313

Hey everyone..sorry I’ve been busy lately so haven’t been able to paint. Did a bit tonight and moved the horizon up to meet rule of thirds but stuck the mountain in the middle again..oops ha!. My only problem now is it seems a bit boring. Agree?

:lol: Tribbles… another reason I paint small.

I totally agree with Colin about using a reference. Though you do very well from imagination.

Some artists will do a bunch of thumbnail sketches first to try out different compositions when they are creating a scene.

This does look better, the viewer is more drawn to the mountain. And the mountain is very nicely done.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                            Every painting is a new adventure.

You’ve changed it a lot!
                                            You do have some really good elements in this painting including the atmosphere – make a note of what you see as good so you can do it again elsewhere – similarly, make notes on what to avoid in future!

That mountain is good – you just either need it off-centre, or more of the – a range!

The river needs to lead us somewhere and give us interest along the way – this one appears to lead us off right – the this line in the centre, to the mountain seems like a path – well, path or river would disappear entirely at that far distance!:)

Try to link vertically with ‘see-through’ elements – trees, fences, tall grasses – so that horizontal bands are connected …….. try to avoid smooth tops to areas of grass/foliage etc.

You could add colour by glazing – just as an example – greens of different shades, blues, mauves to create a coloured landscape – all the tonal work is already done!

Colin is right about using a ref(or refs) to create a convincing picture … imagination is built up over many years of ‘seeing and storing’, experiencing scenes, so never think that’s an easy option! When artists say they work from imagination it’s usually actually from multipe experiences of places – from knowledge!

Keep painting – practice never made anyone a worse painter!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.