Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Why do you paint?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    ptrkgmc

In this little fairy portrait, I was feeling rather upset before I began work, I cannot say why the woeful pique, but after a few hours I was cheerful again. 8″X10″ on a panel, Quinacridone Rose, Safflower T-White, Windsor Yellow, Terre Encolate (Mamiri), and Ultramarine.

[ATTACH]858225[/ATTACH]

Raffless

I find it incredibly calming. I guess i sketch and paint because it helps with my anxiety.

Lovely Degas feel on this painting :thumbsup:

DMArtist7

Lovely piece! It feels cheerful and has that healing effect on the stress.

Well, I paint because it used to be my way to express my feeling when nobody could listen to me. Now I do it because it still has this calming effect on my soul and I get rewarded with a beautiful piece. Well, not always but still any good piece is worth the struggle. :) I also notice this effect intensifies whenever I really do my best and jump up a level or two. So in all it motivates me to become a better artist. Also since I’m deaf, it is my music.

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

PhuongMy

Because I love the beauty and I wish to express them my way.

I love your blue sky most.

oil painting (from middle of April 2018)

C&C are always welcome.

I usually paint as either some emotional driven pursuit or a technical exercise.

I fear my drives hold me back from exploring and being more open minded, but i’m usually pretty thorough, so thats something (lol.)

I enjoy the different perspectives of painters’ motives here. It helps get outside your own lines.

Facebook: https://bit.ly/3aEGyTQ
                    Instagram: https://bit.ly/3cRPkAs
                    www.jonbradley.art

kentiessen

Gentle and relaxing! I read once in choosing color in healthcare facilities (behavioral test) that specific ones are proven to calm and believe it true. For myself, my best place is if I’m creating.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

ptrkgmc

I’m going to stick with the anxiety relieving scenario. Also I am driven, it is becoming hard to put the brushes down. Is that a curse? Also I noticed this morning that my fairy needed wings, so she can fly.
                            Kind of looks like Marge’s hair don’t cha thinK?

[ATTACH]858282[/ATTACH]

Michaelshane

I paint because I can’t sing.

Someday everything is going to be different,when I paint my masterpiece.
                                Bob Dylan.

Delofasht

Love your little fairy here, whimsical and cheery! As for why I paint, well I am not very good at a lot of other things, or rather it should be said I lack the motivation to do other things. I can for a short while thoroughly enjoy doing most anything, but after a few months I completely lose interest. That is not true with art, month after month, year after year, I am always engaged and motivated to do art, even when I am “blocked” artistically.

In fact, that’s the most annoying thing, having the desire but incapable of producing anything that is remotely satisfying to me. Thing is, i know now what that means and how to navigate it, so I can at least work through the difficulty and still create something that at least looks good, even if it does not make me super satisfied at least I know the quality will be good. That is a good feeling.

So I paint because it is all I can handle doing everyday without trying to throw myself off a cliff due to boredom. Also, I think way to creatively in non creative endeavors, it turns out companies do not want someone working for them that is not content to just rehearse the same stupid garbage all day. (Especially when it is statistically being shown to be driving customers away)

- Delo Delofasht
                                    Phranque

Another fun one.

I paint because I’m at my happiest when I have one on the go. I don’t even have to be actively working on it to benefit, though starting a painting and letting it sit for weeks doesn’t work. I struggle with depression, though I’m lucky that it’s not debilitating, and in my day-to-day interactions with people it’s well tucked away. so far that people have said to me that I’m always so cheerful. I’ve only experienced a brief episode of not being able to function. I usually manage to stay on top of it, and painting goes a long way, especially when a piece works well. One of the beneficial side effects I’ve noticed when I’m painting more is that I see things more intensely. I catch myself thinking “How would I paint that?” “What paint colour would I use for that”, etc. it’s the last thing I’d want to give up. Hopefully there will be a spot for an easel in the nursing home I end up in if I live long enough. LOL

Critiques and comments are always welcome.

Dcam

I love to paint, but I love drawing even more. Everything comes from the wrist, hand, arm without having to go to a palette.
                                            but…..drawings are way harder to sell.

Delofasht

Well, that is definitely true Derek, much harder to sell drawings I have found, people like color generally.

Phranque, I understand that mask of cheerfulness all too well, spent years building a nearly perfect one myself (only my wife really sees through my guise).

- Delo Delofasht
                                                AnnieA

Color! I love color and mixing paints. I’ve often told people that my favorite movie was one I saw my junior high school art class. It was on paint and color mixing. Paint (a lot of it) in two different colors was poured from someplace off-screen and then a brush would swirl it around to mix a new color. It was incredibly gorgeous!

But that isn’t the only thing that makes me want to paint. As phranque mentioned, I also find that being an artist leads me to respond to the environment in a more intense way. I love exploring the effect of colored light on everything from a lowly onion to a complex city scene. It is a gift to be able to notice the beauty all around and that’s something painting has given me. And to find that I’m increasingly able to express in paint what I see around me is incredibly rewarding.

As a retired person, I also find that painting gives me a purpose that previously was lost when I stopped working. This is especially meaningful.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                    [FONT=Palatino]
                                                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Dcam

Delo: as far as color…..polychromos: fabulous, and pastels, of course people say that pastel drawing is actually painting, but not really…..no palette to go to.

Raffless

Love your little fairy here, whimsical and cheery! As for why I paint, well I am not very good at a lot of other things, or rather it should be said I lack the motivation to do other things. I can for a short while thoroughly enjoy doing most anything, but after a few months I completely lose interest. That is not true with art, month after month, year after year, I am always engaged and motivated to do art, even when I am “blocked” artistically.

In fact, that’s the most annoying thing, having the desire but incapable of producing anything that is remotely satisfying to me. Thing is, i know now what that means and how to navigate it, so I can at least work through the difficulty and still create something that at least looks good, even if it does not make me super satisfied at least I know the quality will be good. That is a good feeling.

So I paint because it is all I can handle doing everyday without trying to throw myself off a cliff due to boredom. Also, I think way to creatively in non creative endeavors, it turns out companies do not want someone working for them that is not content to just rehearse the same stupid garbage all day. (Especially when it is statistically being shown to be driving customers away)

We sound so similar. How do you navigate the disatisfaction Delo. Im always open to new ideas:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.