Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Different Strokes July 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 144 total)
  • Author

WELCOME TO THE July 2018 DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE

Woot! Woot!

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here schedule thread link.

Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:

[*]All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics – any type of acrylic.
      [*]Join in the discussion about the project – it’s friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!
      [*]Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere.
      [*]A ‘reveal’ date for all is 21st of the month – that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.
      [*]Interpret the ideas any way you wish – be inventive, realistic, influenced by another style or ‘…ism’ – it’s up to you!

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.** Much more exciting and fun to see what ‘masterpieces’ appear!
    If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single ‘reveal’ date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ……
    that’s the whole point of it being called ‘Different Strokes’!
    By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge – just don’t post images!!!

The challenge this month is …………… Lucky Accidents – and how to have them

Bob Ross talked about lucky accidents. David Dunlop teaches that accident can be a friend while painting, as long as it has room in the process. So we’re going to make room for accidents by going fast.

The gist of the challenge:

[*]make at least two paintings of any subject per session

[*]aim to complete each within two minutes and taking no more than fifteen minutes each.

[*]Do as many as you like in any session; (I run out of steam after about four)

[*]No drawing beforehand. Not even thumbnails.

At the end, post all of your work, even the clunkers.

Use any method you like. I’ll describe what I do to help you get started.

What I use …

[*]A reference. Your choice, but you probably do not want a lot of detail in it.
      [*]Surfaces to paint on. Size should be somewhere between 5 in. X 7 in. (12 cm. X 18 cm.) and 8 in. X 10 in (20 cm. X 24 cm.). Too small and the painting becomes too fussy. Too big and time expires before the surface is even covered. I use 80 lb. watercolor paper but anything will do. There’s nothing wrong with dividing a larger panel into smaller painting spaces.
      [*]Application tools. Brushes should be between 1 in. and 2 in. in width. Painting knives should not be tiny. Really any tool that puts on a lot of paint in a short time.
      [*]Paint. (duh). Keep it simple, such as three primaries plus white, or even ultramarine blue and burnt siena with white.
      [*]A timer to tell you to stop after fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes is the limit.

Visual aids …

Hints:

[*]Keep it low cost. The idea is to do this in bulk.
      [*]It takes too long to mix paint with a knife and pick it up with the brush. Mix with a brush.
      [*]Give yourself lots of room for mixing paint. It can get messy.
      [*]Cleaning brushes takes time. It might be a good idea to have a brush for light colors and one for darks.
      [*]If using paper, try sealing it with a layer of gloss medium. There will be less pull on the brush.
      [*]Don’t fix mistakes.
      [*]Don’t fixate on details. Go for the big shapes and a strong composition.
      [*]Think shapes, not objects.
      [*]Don’t even try to reproduce the subject matter. Work toward a well-composed painting.
      [*]Focus but don’t try to think your way through it. Try to get a good connection between eye and hand.
      [*]Be prepared to abuse your brush.

Need a small brush? Try this.

No fan brush? No problem.

Brushes live for this.

Samples
    A reference photo …

The paintings. 7 X 10 in on Canson XL watercolor paper.

One came off the easel oriented this way, but was flipped and spawned a larger, more deliberate painting which I posted in the main forum.

These are four clunkers from another reference. Note the crappy handling of the near tree.

Hope everyone has a lot of fun with this. Relax and enjoy.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

maryinasia

Fun! I think I’ll have time for this!

Great to have you, Mary. I think you’ll be happy with the results.

fedetony

Well, fifteen minutes later I’ll have to wait 20 days to post :D…:lol:

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Well, fifteen minutes later I’ll have to wait 20 days to post :D…:lol:

At least two at a session Fede, so thirty minutes. :lol:

No reason you can’t do a big bunchy of sessions. It’s kinda fun.

This should be easy. Most of my paintings have accidents. :)

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Go for it, Colin. Glad to have you.

OK, I’ll give this a go too …….. my thumbnails are usually in pen and 2×3″ so this will be a change for me …… accidents a-plenty!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

OK, I’ll give this a go too …….. my thumbnails are usually in pen and 2×3″ so this will be a change for me …… accidents a-plenty!:lol:

These are going to seem like murals. :lol: :lol: :lol: Looking forward to them.

This does sound like fun. Some of my best paintings were done quickly, but I was not on a time limit. Here we go! :)

[FONT=Lucida Calligraphy]Let your smile reach your eyes, keep your words always kind, and remember......love opens all doors.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

This does sound like fun. Some of my best paintings were done quickly, but I was not on a time limit. Here we go! :)

Delighted and glad you’re here.

This is fun! Finished my 2 paintings of the same reference using colors in different order of application – interesting.Do we post the reference too?

Christel

This is fun! Finished my 2 paintings of the same reference using colors in different order of application – interesting.Do we post the reference too?

This sounds neat, like you’re making optical colors. Glad you’ve jumped in.

Do more, please.

I”ll be posting references if I can still find them. :lol: :lol:

Attalus

*sigh* Include me out for this one, darn it. I take that long to get the canvas washed and dried. *holds up well-used 3-0 brushes* I am well into the second month on my current project. *mixes some more Titanium white with a touch of raw umber for the fifteenth wash* Y’all have fun.

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Myse

Oh yes! So funny! I will do that!…

Comments and critics welcome. I want to progress!
                    marysecurinier-rochette.com
                    https://maryse.rochette.cc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 144 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.