Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Best Non-Toxic Glazing Medium?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Waugh

I’d like to glaze over a grisaille underpainting but I can’t use mineral spirits or turpentine or liquin or anything else toxic. I’ve tried M. Graham Alkyd but it’s much too runny, also Gamblin Solvent-Free Gel which is good as a medium – but it’s too sticky as a glaze.

I usually just rub unadulterated transparent oil colors directly onto the dry grisaille underpainting with my fingers and wipe off excess, but I can’t really layer glazes with this method. I’ve used Liquin for glazing before and it is pretty good, but I just can’t take the risk of overexposure to it anymore.

I have a very serious, dangerous skin reaction to OMS / mineral / white spirit, and also turpentine. Liquin hasn’t affected my skin as of yet, but it affects my heart – causes a sort of pain.

ragtopcircus

You might have more luck asking in the oil painting technical forum.

WFMartin

2 portions Linseed Oil
                2 portions Walnut Oil
                1 portion Canada Baslam
                2 portions Oil of Spike Lavender

I’ve been using this medium for many years, now, and its ingredients are considered to be some of the least toxic, in comparison with others.

I get my materials from The Art Treehouse. Their Oil of Spike is some of the least expensive, highest quality, least toxic of the other, general, run of the mill Oil of Spikes that are offered.

Does it have a smell? Yes. Is it “toxic”? No. To see confirmation of that claim, just Google it, or read the information offered on The Art Treehouse.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Jesse Waugh

2 portions Linseed Oil
                    2 portions Walnut Oil
                    1 portion Canada Baslam
                    2 portions Oil of Spike Lavender

I’ve been using this medium for many years, now, and its ingredients are considered to be some of the least toxic, in comparison with others.

I get my materials from The Art Treehouse. Their Oil of Spike is some of the least expensive, highest quality, least toxic of the other, general, run of the mill Oil of Spikes that are offered.

Does it have a smell? Yes. Is it “toxic”? No. To see confirmation of that claim, just Google it, or read the information offered on The Art Treehouse.

Okay thanks WF Martin! Sounds excellent.

Pinguino

Sounds like your problem is chemical sensitivity rather than toxicity. In that case, no amount of advice from others will help, other than to avoid rubbing it with your fingers.

Jesse Waugh

Sounds like your problem is chemical sensitivity rather than toxicity. In that case, no amount of advice from others will help, other than to avoid rubbing it with your fingers.

Is there a difference? Im not sure how much inhalation vs contact plays into the skin reaction.

WFMartin

Jesse,

I’ve seen your work, and the stuff that I’m suggesting just might be a bit too expensive for the large canvases with which you work. Just a consideration.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Jesse Waugh

Jesse,

I’ve seen your work, and the stuff that I’m suggesting just might be a bit too expensive for the large canvases with which you work. Just a consideration.

Thanks Bill – yes I think I may just continue using straight paint – maybe with a bit of Gamblin Solvent-Free Gel Medium.

I read on your blog that you apply a very thin couch of your glazing medium onto a section of grisaille, and then apply the paint to that. Do you use a brush for both the medium and paint? Or do you ever use fingers / paper towels / etc.?

MissMagic

I have a very serious, dangerous skin reaction to OMS / mineral / white spirit, and also turpentine. Liquin hasn’t affected my skin as of yet, but it affects my heart – causes a sort of pain.

I can’t speak to the second thing (although the SDS for Liquin says its two main components – over 98% of it – are simply alkyd resin and petroleum distillates) but the skin reaction is likely contact dermatitis. This is something hairdressers and those in similar industries frequently suffer from because of repeated contact with the same substance over and over.
                                        Although I don’t work in the beauty industry any more, we are trained to protect ourselves from contact dermatitis through hand washing, use of barrier creams and disposable gloves during service.
                                        Skin sensitivity can happen with pretty much anything you are exposing your skin to frequently but chemicals marked as irritants are more likely to cause it as are allergens.

Jesse Waugh

I can’t speak to the second thing (although the [URL=https://ehslegacy.unr.edu/msdsfiles/21331.pdf]SDS for Liquin[/URL] says its two main components – over 98% of it – are simply alkyd resin and petroleum distillates) but the skin reaction is likely contact dermatitis. This is something hairdressers and those in similar industries frequently suffer from because of repeated contact with the same substance over and over.
                                            Although I don’t work in the beauty industry any more, we are trained to protect ourselves from contact dermatitis through hand washing, use of barrier creams and disposable gloves during service.
                                            Skin sensitivity can happen with pretty much anything you are exposing your skin to frequently but chemicals marked as irritants are more likely to cause it as are allergens.

Thanks that is interesting and it helps. It is definitely contact dermatitis I’ve developed to mineral spirits – but it has gotten really severe so I can’t go anywhere near OMS anymore.

Humbaba

There is a line of transparent colors that you could use directly from the tube sold by Grumbacher. You could also dilute your colors with Stand Oil.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.