Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Watermedia Challenge for June 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    ColdPress

Welcome to the June 2018 Watermedia Challenge. It’s a pleasure to be your host. I hope you find something here to use as a starting point: I know everyone here would love to see your work.

There’s no reveal date … send in when you’d like.

These photos are all from Pixabay and Morguefile, so no attribution is needed.

It was fun to pick these photos. It started out as a random thing. Then a theme of sorts emerged on its own about halfway through, so I stayed with it.

Happy art-making all! .. CP

King Alfred the Great of England

Happy painting! ... CP

eyepaint

Great selection! Hope to get something done :)

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

ColdPress – Lovely photos, do you know who the statue is of – just interested. Thanks for Hosting ColdPress!

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

CaliAnn

Thanks for hosting CP – GREAT photos … now to choose one… hmmm…

ColdPress

EP, CaliAnn, Vivien, thanks for the notes. Eager to see the things you make of these.

Vivien, the statue is King Alfred the Great of England.

Happy painting, folks! … CP

Happy painting! ... CP

SnapV

Beautiful images CP, still not sure which one I’ll choose!

Virginie

All C&C welcome: I want to improve!

CP – good selection here! I added who the statue was underneath the image.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

IsobelW

Abstracted cat. Washed out charcoal, water soluble markers, water colour, some pen, on old encyclopedia page.

CaliAnn

Isobel – your painting is wonderful! I love the colors – makes the painting very exiting and alive! :)

paulbetts

hi these photos are fantastic will try to give it a go

paula bettam

ColdPress

Isobel, I love the colors. My favorite part: you captured the cat’s gaze. Just outside the picture, I imagine there’s a mouse who would have been better off being somewhere else.

Paula, glad you found something in the photos that attracted you. Looking forward to seeing your version.

Kay, thanks for the comment and for adding King Alfred’s info.

Happy painting! ... CP

Love, love, love old windows and the paintings made from them are so special. So glad CP included some in this challenge.

Isobel, wow, the cat is just purrfect using these watermedia effects! Love it!

Hope you can join in, Paula!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Merriweather

Hi all,

Re: this is what I see… King Alfred the Great..

Thought one: the rock he stands on is almost a third way up

Thought two : foreshorten… his sword is going to have to be much larger because it is foreground ( after the rock … which is neither here or there as is doesn’t add to the photo, it’s merely a stand for the statue)

Thought three: hey whoa… this is a big bloke, and he seems to not have a long chest… but a shortened waist like females do…

So I google up pics of him, and sure enough, strong long legs, arms, etc, but no long body?

Have our bodies evolved so much, or did the sculpture artist get it wrong.? anyway I am not criticising, its a fine statue, and being there is no photo to compare with, I just find it odd.?

Did anyone else see this? The short body for such a biggish man?

cheers

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

ColdPress

Merriweather, that’s interesting. I didn’t notice it before, but now that you mentioned it, I see it too. I looked at the photo on Wikipedia of the other King Alfred statue, the one in Winchester. It’s by a different sculptor. Seems to be the same appearance you described.

Happy painting! … CP

Happy painting! ... CP

Merriweather

Merriweather, that’s interesting. I didn’t notice it before, but now that you mentioned it, I see it too. I looked at the photo on Wikipedia of the other King Alfred statue, the one in Winchester. It’s by a different sculptor. Seems to be the same appearance you described.

Happy painting! … CP

Hiah CP

Yes, I am glad its not only me.. I feel like I have been right picky, but not in a bad way i hope.

I have to say, I have been playing with a sketch of this handsome strong King. I am not normally going to pick on physical. More that it sort of worked with the receding top half of him.

I am attempting to remember to look for elements that make up a believable representation of a photo and in my mind this picture screamed foreshortening…:wave:

Painting is a complete distraction. I know of nothing which, without exhausting the body, more entirely absorbs the mind. Winston Churchill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.