Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Visualising the effect of a glaze

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Richard P

Does anyone know the best way to simulate the effect of a colour glaze on a painting? Say, with photoshop over a photo of the painting, or some other method?

Thanks,
        Richard

Mythrill

Does anyone know the best way to simulate the effect of a colour glaze on a painting? Say, with photoshop over a photo of the painting, or some other method?

Thanks,
            Richard

You could attempt to use layers combined with the “multiply” setting. Notice, however, that the optical effect is not exactly the same. Real-life glazing has a “staining glass” / 3d effect that heavily depends on how physical layers trap light and make it bounce back to your eyes.

Humbaba

I do not know of any method in done in a computer. I have seen two books dealing with this so far.

Taubes Guide to Oil Painting
                Carlson’s Guide to Landscape Painting (just a brief commment)

The first one contains two pages showing the effect of glazes over several colors, so you could do the same in real life and use it as reference.

The second one mentions the technique of using a piece of glass, over this glass you paint your dark transparent color and place it over the area on the painting to see the effect.

Richard P

Thank you both! :)

Patrick1

I use Photoshop Elements 8 (a very old version) and yes it can do that, or at least a good simulation of it:

filter > adjustments > photo filter

Keep ‘preserve luminosity’ unchecked.

I don’t know how similar or different it is in newer versions of Photoshop.

Ellis Ammons

You could paint a piece of clear plastic and hold it over your painting. Or maybe some tinted glasses. Or maybe paint your glasses :)

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                            oil and acrylic paintings..

Richard P

Ah, thanks Patrick, I will try that out as well! :D

Pinguino

I do something similar in GIMP. As Patrick already noted, you must NOT preserve luminosity. Other than reflection from the glossy surface of a glaze, the glaze darkens what’s already there.

Scumbling, where a lighter and opaque color is placed atop the painting, is harder to simulate in software.

Both Photoshop and GIMP, and some other programs, have a “paint brush” tool, which allows you to “paint” a partially transparent layer, just where you need it. If done as layer (rather than directly on the existing image) you can retroactively change the transparency.

Richard P

The photo filter in Photoshop seems to work very well! :)

Delofasht

Maybe try laying one of these over the subject? They may be a bit too strong in color sometimes, but should at least give you an idea of where you can go with a given glaze. Nice thing here is that you could cut them down into smaller sizes for making a quick reference ring that you just flip through while holding it over the subject. Just a thought, I do wish they came in paler colors though.

- Delo Delofasht
                                            clode

thanks for all these very helpful tips

http://aquableu32.fr/wp[/url]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.