Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time January 2018

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Well, :music:Happy New Year:music:

I, for one, am hoping this year is better than 2017. Tho’ I have to admit, it’s not starting out great today. Since DH was working, I decided it was time after a 2 week break to get back to sewing. I’m paying for it with sore hands this morning. :eek: I may have to take a longer break. This doesn’t make me happy.

Lena, we are down-right balmy compared to you. I’m glad we are being spared the arctic chill. It seems to have slipped right past us. Did you tell your nephew what it was he’d gotten?

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

I’m posting for Ruth (Stitcher) who is shy :)

She is knotting another Arran cardigan at the moment and has a commission for a baby blanket.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Debby

Yorky, please tell Ruth we don’t bite. Honest.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Come on Ruth!!!!

Hi Doug. Looking forward to Ruth’s latest.

Happy New Year, all. Had 13 for dinner. Hmm, 6 courses. DH came down with the flu the day before, but we were rescued by DD Gabrielle and new husband Paul. They landed from a New Zealand wedding trip – cycling :eek: – and stepped into Chef mode. They were also a part of a conspiracy which meant that our son arrived as a surprise from out of state. WONDERFUL. :heart:

Here is the crew at work,
            including my sister, Rebecca.

I hope you each find peace and creativity in 2018.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, how nice to have the whole family there. Sorry about DH getting the flu.

Doing year end bookkeeping. :p Be back another time to talk fiber and stuff.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Happy new year, I think.

We have had the flu and we just came out of the -30c deep freeze (with frozen car) again

Part of me wants a re-do of january.

I have start the socks for Luc again. Oh and they have decided to get married. The date is Sept 1. Lots of chat back and forth about how to. I would love to do her dress but I am far away. I am thinking of a lace shawl and those lace gloves I made but in white.

Doll Art by Lena

I love that elaborate pattern.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Lena

Thanks.
                        It is a 40 stitch repeat! :clear: :clear: :evil:

The ankle one was done while I had the flu- lots of un-knitting happened:o

And I have to pay a lot of attention to the tension because I find I slowly get tighter. When I am doing the plain sections I have to knit as tight as I can, so I have to switch my attention back and forth.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, so sorry you had to deal with the flu and the freezing. The socks look great. Congrats on the wedding planning. A lace shawl and glove combo sounds wonderful.

I am done with the year end bookkeeping. Waiting on DH’s tax form from work to actually do taxes. In the meantime, I had my January sale and shipped it off. Have made the replacements. Now… I dunno. I don’t have any great ideas for new critters or variations. I’d like to see if I can get back to making dolls. But, is that a good direction for the business? DH says I should make dolls because I want to do that. It’s so awesome to have someone who supports me like that.

Debby
                            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Hello all.

The socks are so intricate! I admire all who have the patience to follow such a detailed pattern. And congrat’s on the upcoming wedding. :clap:

I continue to struggle getting a costume right for a client. Yes, this is a commissioned piece. A Time Lord collar, for those who know the Dr. Who series. There MUST be an easier way….

This is my goal

Sheer madness. :angel:

Jen

Jennifer Landau
                            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, that’s quite an undertaking. What are you using for the elaborate neck piece? Paper mache? I can’t help but think the original may have been fiberglass. Good luck with that.

Ok, taxes are done. The reason I’m doing them so early is because my data was stolen in that Equifax break in. I’ve got things monitored and stopped, but the crooks can still file a tax return in my name and leave me holding the bag. So… I’m filing really early to hopefully avoid the issue.

DH and I have been talking about having a more creative lifestyle. He’s getting close to retirement and wants to spend more time getting his own reference photos for his paintings. Right now, just practicing, he’s using anything he finds that’s interesting. I am very firm about copyright and he wants to be able to sell his art in the future. So, we have agreed that at least once a month, maybe more, we will have an art date/photo safari. Last week we caught a bit of sunshine and went for a drive. There wasn’t really much but dead dry vegetation, but we got a few landscape photos of snow covered mountains. This week, we went up to the college town and visited an art gallery. So far we are having a delightful time and it’s working out well. :)

Now, finally, I’ll be working on an experiment with a doll head. Not sure how it’ll turn out, but there are several steps involved with this idea. Don’t have anything to show or report at this time. :lol:

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Well that flu came back and bit me hard. I am ok now but I get breathless quickly.
                                    Not much done except knitting.

I am almost finished – and I noticed that I should have started the colour bands earlier and had two of them. Too bad. This is it.

I spent Saturday afternoon going through the Ravelry site with my daughter over chat, looking at wedding stuff, shawls, shrugs gloves etc. And knitted flowers and leaves. I will be knitting her bouquet, she wants a herbal look, so mostly leaves. She has chosen her wedding dress, nice and simple and ivory.
                                    I am waiting for her to chose the rest but hings are busy there right now. It seems their basement apartment sprung a leak, crack in the foundation and mold is blossoming all over it, so they are hoping to move ASAP since it is affecting her health.

Jen – what a neat looking costume!

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, those socks are awesome! Yeah, wedding planning is a huge undertaking. That’s why elopement is popular even today when it’s not about parental disapproval. A knit bouquet sounds lovely. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Taxes are filed and accepted. So, I beat the bad guys. Yay! In other news, I lost a crown again. It’s the same one. There really isn’t enough tooth to hold the crown so it keeps coming off and the dentist keeps gluing it back on. It came off last week and once more, it was glued back on. I was told to be gentle with it. :confused: It came off again less than a week later. This time, I called and said, I want this thing fixed so it doesn’t come off again. Either build up the structure of the tooth or replace it with a bridge. I know it’ll cost money, but it’s better than constantly having to pay to have it glued back on.

The doll experiments have resulted in failure so far. I made a test face and then tried to make a negative mold. The idea was to use the mold to form felt. I can’t get the original out of the negative mold. Not sure if I didn’t put enough powder in to release the original or it’s more curved than I thought and it can’t pull out. *sigh* I will begin again after I fill the order that just came in for a dragon.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.