Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists Enlarger for drawings or photos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Aires

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced enlarger for use in converting hand drawn compositions to the size of the substrate of choice? What is the best way, besides gridding, to enlarge a standard letter size image to, say a 16X20 or 18×24 substrate? No way would hubby indulge my art passion to the extent of a high priced enlarger and those little projectors only support small images of around 5 in inches. Any helpful advice of what to look for?

Geekette

If you take your drawing to a copy centre, they should be able to make a copy of the piece on a larger size paper that you can then use to transfer the drawing to the final surface.

~ Claire
            Doodle Sanctuary - My Art Blog

mudcat3

Depending on your software, you can print your image in sections at the scale you want, trim and tape them together. This is also known as tiling or poster. I know Corel Draw does this. A free draw program known as Inkscape can do this also. Import your image in and scale it to the size you want before printing.

mastermesh

yep… good ol mspaint can blow things up just as well as anything else… Once you get it upscaled, try pouncing. I love that method… You take a little pourous cloth and make a little bag out of it by rubber banding, tie up, or sew up the ends after you put something in it like powdered charcoal, crushed up pastel, or chalk dust (the stuff they use in chalk like tools)… now take that blown up printout and poke holes in it where edges are with a needle or something… pounce the bag on top of the printout and the dust flows in to the holes so you get a nice little image outline going on that you can then use as basis for the painting, etc. Reason I like mspaint is that even though it’s clunky, it prints stuff out on letter size paper without a lot of edge issues and you can tile it all together really easily since each page border is one tile. Another advantage… mspaint has a hell of a lower overhead in cpu/gpu use than a lot of other image processors, so it can handle gigantic images without need of super powerful computer.

Another option is photos and enlarger projectors, etc in a darkened room. My old projector was bought at Micheals for less than 50 bucks a few years back I think… problem with that is that it’s very low powered lighting so it gets really hard to see the details, etc. I suspect an overhead projector would be awesome tool to use too.

GaryNorthants

Try a free program called Posterazor. It will allow you to print any size from any image
                        Best wishes
                        Gary

“It’s never too late to be who you might have been. —George Eliot aka Mary Ann Evans

Aires

Thank you for the resource, Gary!

loft artist

here’s a place to get it and other similar free Art Programs , a reasonably safe site too ,

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Multimedia/Graphics/X-PosteRazor.shtml

gdex

I suggest you browse the options of your printer and see if the option “poster” exists … you can print on 8.5″ x 11″ and tape the sheets to built a very large posters like image

Gerald (gdex) Dextraze

Morgan411

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced enlarger for use in converting hand drawn compositions to the size of the substrate of choice? What is the best way, besides gridding, to enlarge a standard letter size image to, say a 16X20 or 18×24 substrate? No way would hubby indulge my art passion to the extent of a high priced enlarger and those little projectors only support small images of around 5 in inches. Any helpful advice of what to look for?

If you still would like to use one of these projectors, it’s very easy to photograph or scan your original drawing and print it out so it’s small enough to fit in the 5 inch square box on the enlarger. However, you should know that these cheaper enlargers do cause some distortion when the image is enlarged.

Klover

This really is also called tiling or maybe poster. I understand coral Bring may this specific. A complimentary sketch program generally known as inkscape can perform this. Importance the picture inside and also level the idea towards dimension you desire prior to producing.

custom exhibition stand[/url]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Enlarger for drawings or photos’ is closed to new replies.