Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Squirrel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MagdaleneL

Pitt pens in sepia with some watercolour to jazz it up. I am getting some grey and other colour pens so then I might stop with the watercolour as I might be able to do better shading with some more colours.

Anonymous

Yep, he’s cute Magdalene , again I see your illustrative style shining through very nicely .
            That’s why I was surprised to read ” I am getting some grey and other colour pens so then I might stop with the watercolour as I might be able to do better shading with some more colours.”
            Shading is not colour,it is the fall of the light.
            Nothing can rival water colour paint for colour or subtlety of shading & you already do handle it well.
            If you had a hundred different colours of pen STILL you would struggle to get anything remotely close to what you can already do using water colours.Your muted colours & how well they balance with the pen outline will be quite lost.
            By all means experiment widely with wild abandon :thumbsup: but don’t throw out the baby with the bath water ! & don’t miss the glinting of a gem on your artistic path either.
            Mike

glintinti

MagdaleneL

Thanks for your kind comment Mike, I agree entirely. Shading is not colour, I should have written the post differently. I love pen and ink but I never get the form entirely to my satisfaction with one colour pen alone, sure i try to use less or more hatching or whatever scribbles I usually do that passes for hatching hehe. But it is still just one colour and I am never pleased with the effect. So I would like to do some pen and ink which is JUST pen and ink and no colour at all but with correct shading just to try that as well you know?? But yeah I love the effect of watercolours WITH pen so I guess I will never stop using watercolours now and then either. And thanks for your encouragement. :heart:

Bill

Very nice pen and watercolor. You should post this in the watercolor forum and maybe mixed media.
                    Bill

Be kinder than necessary

MagdaleneL

Thank you very much Bill, yeah I might or in the animal section. Although I guess I feel pen and ink is my home here on WC. Just happened somehow you know? So now I feel at home here with you and Mike and the others who regularly comment and Maureen. :)

Lovely piece. Nice play of light especially on the branch.

And yes you can X-post but please don’t do it more than two forums and clearly mark in the title that it’s x-posted from another forum. Thank you.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                        Find me on Instagram
                        Find me on Facebook

MagdaleneL
                            Joel L

I really like this! There seems to be a softness and a bit of boldness. Nice focus on the squirrel!

He’s very cute and I could see this as an illustration for a children’s book – nice work!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Triduana

It’s a lovely picture, cute squirrel and I like the background too. I enjoy using grey pens every now and again.

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.