Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity Is it done? Help!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mmmcreates

Painting this large 3 by 5 foot painting for friends based on a photo they provided but I’m just not sure if it’s “done” or what would be the next step. Is t the sky, trees or water that needs more work? Thoughts???

ianuk

If you would be willing to post the photo, it may be more helpful in commenting.

Mmmcreates

Here it is:

La_

seems pleasant, tho the image is quite dark, too dark to tell what colors were used in the foliage.

pretty sure Ian was looking for the reference image …

the sky might need a bit of help, the orange seems heavy – are you using oils or acrylics?

cropping would also be wonderful, or an image of the piece on a blank wall instead of with all the distracting clutter.

la

~JMW~

If we can see the ref photo we can give better suggestions..

a few questions about what I notice in the painting-
                        is the shoreline really that smooth of a line?
                        no waves at all? no beaches?
                        Some of the sky colors are not reflected on the water
                        Is all of the land mainly a brownish tone in the ref?
                        Sky is good, the upper right corner could be smoothed or blended to match the rest a bit more..

Sometimes a photo doesn’t show all colors as they would be in real life, think about what you could change to make this painting better.

~Joy~

Mmmcreates

thanks everyone, here’s another photo of the painting is slightly better lighting (I hope)

I’ve really gone away from the reference photo so not really worth posting here.

I think my issue also is with the sky, perhaps I need to go more extreme and not so soft?

I agree the shoreline could be worked on but don’t want to add to much detail….

pa-paw

I’ll take a stab at it. This is very nice, however I find myself looking for a central point of interest. If it is indeed the sunlit clouds which are beautiful, but maybe it would be even better to include a stronger reflection of those clouds in the water. Overall you have painted a very pretty scene.:) :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
                                [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

stlukesguild

I’m thinking the same as Pa-Paw. You have an image in which the central area (sky and water) is framed by mountains on the left and trees on the right. So what is the focal point? Perhaps J.M.W. Turner might give you some ideas?

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                    "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                    "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

CityMadera

Es muy fácil reparar cuadros con colas para madera[/URL] de la mejor calidad.

WFMartin

This would serve as a very useful underpanting for my purposes. However, in my opinion, this needs LOTS of refining, detailing. Nothing seems finished, to me. Needs more detail in the mountain, clouds, trees; it’s virtually screaming for more work.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.