Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Packed and Ready to Go — WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Doug (Yorky) posted this lovely reference photo and gave permission for me to use it in my Monday art class. Char suggested I do it as a WIP so here it is so far.

Doug’s Reference Photo

Before starting a painting, I plan my color palette and paint a small sample so I don’t forget which paint I was using. :D This is my palette for this painting:

The colors are Faenza Blue (same as Indanthrone Blue); Burnt Umber; Hansa Yellow Deep; Olive green; caput mortuum; a mix of FB + CM made the darks

I am using a 10″ X 14″ sheet of 200 # Jack Richeson cp paper.

After enlarging the photo image, I used Saral Graphite Tracing Paper to put the image on the paper. Then I patted the lines with my kneaded eraser to remove any excess graphite.

I used clear water to moisten the background and foreground and dropped in greens and yellows wet into wet. The first wash dried too light, so I repeated the process. I also pulled vertical lines of the green to suggest grasses.

It is actually a bit greener than it looks in the photo.

Finally, I painted the books using the dark mixture and burnt umber. Then I did the brass locks and parts using a mixture of yellow and green.

That is where it stands at this time. I plan to put some masking fluid over the greens that come up on the bottom of the suitcase and perhaps some other places before I attempt to put the color on the case itself.

Sylvia

Coming along. I left out the grass (and the handle – but that’s another story ):rolleyes:

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Oooh… you’re really making progress, Sylvia! This is looking great!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

janinco

Nice! That shawl would be enough to scare me away!

Jan

Thanks Doug, Char, and Jan.

Jan, I am contemplating negative painting when it comes time to do the shawl. ;)

Sylvia

KiwiKate

Thanks for sharing your progress Sylvia. I always find it interesting to see how others approach a painting. You are very meticulous with your palette planning — a needed lesson for me.

Kate
            Henderson, Nevada
            C&C always welcomed!

"Never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday". -- Anon.

Kate, Planning the palette is a lesson my teacher, Nita Leland, has stressed over and over. I finally realized she knew what she was talking about and should probably listen. :lol:

Sylvia

Developing nicely Sylvia :)

Cheers, Lynn
            www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
            "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

pjartwc

Sylvia, this is coming along wonderful. Can’t wait to see your negative painting. What a great subject. Putting out your palette colors first is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug if you’re reading this, I would love to use your photo for an advanced painting class I’m teaching. An excellent subject.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

Jan it is a public domain photo from pixabay. See this month’s challenge for the link.

Doug

Thanks for the kind comments Doug, Char, Jan, Kate, Lyn, and Jan.

The Apple tech managed to help me work out my problem with the photo downloads I was having so here are the next couple of steps in my painting.

When I examined the reference photo, I noticed a layer of yellow beneath the brown on the suitcase. So I put a light wash of the Hansa Yellow over the whole thing.

I then placed a wash of the burnt umber over the suitcase. When it dried, I added another glaze in spots to deepen the tone.

Letting it dry completely, I removed the masking fluid I had used on parts of the suitcase.

More to come. :D

Sylvia

Making good progress Sylvia.

I dispensed with the grass and put the items on a table, however, I messed up the shadow. I use Burnt Sienna for the suitcase and Cerulean Blue for the shawl

Doug

Bill

Looks great, Sylvia.
                    Bill

Be kinder than necessary

Wind Song

Sylvia, this is turning out beautiful!

If the magic is with the artist, then the magic might also be possible for the observer!
                        Sharon

http://sharonamer.blogspot.com/

The colour in your suitcase is beautifully rich!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.