Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Graphite difficulties on value understanding vs charcoal

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    axel9546

I use charcoal and graphite as mediums. If i need to study a portrait i just have my nitram B,H,HB so the game is easy. B for shadows and terminator, HB for halftone and H for halftone rendering.
        When it comes to graphite, i would normally use 2B for shadows, HB for halftone and 2H for halftone rendering.
        What keep me very difficult to the final value product is that with graphite i dont get the effect like charcoal that u see a smooth value form rendering.
        Also sometimes i use a white charcoal to blend charcoal areas, and in graphite i cant use it because i would have some areas that could be not well defined in values, so i would like to learn the kneaaded eraser method. Do u have any suggestion First to fix value scale on graphite, then to use the kneaded eraser lile the white charcoal i use to smooth?

Just get a spare sheet of paper and create your own scale with graphite usign several different ways. then decide which ones to use in your piece. There is no rule set on how to do it. Graphite gives you a much finer control on tonal value and it is easy to have over 100 different tones in a single drawing.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Wassie

A MUST HAVE BOOK for graphite artists!

https://sibleyfineart.com/pencil-drawing-book.htm

You can also change value with one pencil by the pressure you use.

axel9546

Thanks all for replies! Do u know also some other courses?

janinco

J.D. Hillberry has some good instructional videos and a book:
                    http://www.jdhillberry.com

Jan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.