Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art I’ll surf with you! – WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Hi! It’s been awhile since I’ve posted on this forum! I’m just starting a new commission of some fun in sunny Hawaii. I hope you all enjoy the process … does get circuitous at times but comes together in the end … I hope! :heart:

This is 16 X 12 alkyd on hardboard panel.

These first sketches were presented to my client Don who will be following along. Next will be the selected layout drawn to size, then finally the painting with the first wash of color over most of the panel. Had to stop here for the day so will continue the under painting next session.

[FONT="Tahoma"]EquiArt-n-More ... Stylistic Realism in Oils[/I][/B]

ETSY FACEBOOK FAA EPILOGUE [/CENTER][/COLOR]

chiron22

Hi Kerry! A good start with various sketches! The Hawaiian Theme is a good one! :thumbsup: I e-mailed my preferences as to “Meriko’s” Body markings. So as to make it easier for Kerry to create her well! :heart: I hope our regular nice followers come and comment on this unusual wet tutorial! :clap: See everyone at the next update! Sincerely, chiron22–Don Kephart :cool:

Attalus

Interesting concept of Mermaids

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Pulling up a chair, your WIP’s are always so incredible!

Great sketches! I like how they change from here to there, you can almost see what you were thinking.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

talisman

Hey it’s great to see you again!
                I like all the layout sketches nice to see that aspect.
                Looking forward to the WIP on the main painting!
                It looks great so far!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                C and C always welcome.
                My DeviantArt Gallery

chiron22

Dear Kerry, Attalus, VMRS and Talisman! Welcome to my latest commission for Kerry! She is a very talented Painter I have collected from for over 10 years! :thumbsup: Meriko the Killer Whale Mermaid is one of my characters I created in the 90’s. Kerry has finished 18 commissions of my/her Ideas or characters of mine! We click together in creating scenarios for paintings! :heart: I hope you & other followers of this tutorial will comment for our future benefit and your better enjoyment! :grouphug: Thank you all and keep coming back! :clap: Sincerely, chiron22–Don Kephart :cool: *Kerry…I think the Tortoise is too close to the major players. Maybe in the lower right of the painting. Thanks! Don

That’s pretty cool, Don. Do you guys get together or is it a back and forth sort of thing?

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                    Find me on Instagram
                    Find me on Facebook

talisman

Cool, it will be interesting to see this evolve between the two of you.

C and C always welcome.
                        My DeviantArt Gallery

chiron22

Hi VMRS! Kerry & I have never met. I live in Montana and Kerry lives in Texas. I saw some of her Centaur themed paintings, big & small 12 yeas ago on ebay. I bought some & we became far away friends and collaborators in the arts. Buys & commissions, I have nearly 80+ of her Paintings. Yes! It IS back & forth! :thumbsup: :eek: Hi talisman! We seen to know or guess what & how the other one thinks about the painting in progress! She gets a cool Idea. I get a cool Idea. And what ever painting we are doing is usually better off for it! :heart: :clap: More talk about us two as the painting progress’s. :music: :angel: :wave: Be cool you two! Chiron22–Don :cool:

Thank you all for following! It really has been too long since I posted to the fantasy forum!

I am still puttering around with the under painting and spent the afternoon blocking in the figures. Not a whole lot to show yet.

:wave:

talisman

Looking good!

C and C always welcome.
                                My DeviantArt Gallery

chiron22

Dear Kerry & all following this tutorial! Hi talisman! Kerry, you have “Meriko’s” B&W markings pretty well done. :) But…the long white strip below the smaller top one is too long. The lower white marking should not be more than twice the top mark length. Please make it shorter from the back side. :eek: Her straight hair can cover up what ears she has. Her cheek mark can be about 1/2 inch further out. Her scale. “Don’t Hit ME!!!” :angel: The back dorsal fin is just right! :thumbsup: The crashing wave looks very nice! A person could actually surf on it! :rolleyes: Kerry. Do you really want the Sea Turtle under the two? I would think it would be better in the right corner. What do you think? :crossfingers: And that big piece of coral under them. The scene is looking very nice. It will be a very colorful Fantasy painting when finished! :heart: Till next update. Take care! chiron22–Don :cool:

Sorry this is going so slow. :o I’ve got this and another commission that is in the final stages vying for my painting time. Problem is I just have not gotten as much painting time as I need as I have been spending more time with my mother who has not been well for the past few weeks. Any hoo…

I got a little done today/last night/this morning …. whatever! The sky is painted and I worked on the sea in the far background along the shoreline. Buildings are blocked in, and, I just read what Don wrote … so while my paint was still wet, blotted out the turtle and redrew it in the right side corner and adjusted Mariko’s markings. :lol:

My next session will be to get the island going, hopefully finished. Then to touch up the sky as needed. Then on to the sea again and the big wave.

chiron22

Dear Kerry! I am sorry to hear that your Mother has not been feeling well! I hope that it is not serious and she gets better soon! :heart: On your other commission…DO finish it! I can wait as always! ;) *One big thing to correct is her name–“MERIKO”, not Mariko. :lol: Thank you for moving the Turtle/Tortoise! And shortening Meriko’s long side marking. I have paid your invoice today. I had so much to do yesterday that I forgot to transfer the $ to the ebay account! :( Talk again on the next update! Sincerely, chiron22–Don Kephart :cool:

DarkFlights

I’m really looking forward to seeing this one finished, I too love the WIP photos. Kerry, I do hope your mother gets well soon,best wishes to you and her.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.