Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art Clowns and collage

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    graphicali

Untitled, 45cm square, collage and acrylic on paper. I have been wanting to do some collage for a while! I may add a tiny bit more of the central colours to the background. Then again I may not, not decided yet.
        By the way the raised dots across the centre are gold metallic acrylic. I couldn’t get the metallic sheen to show on the photo.

"I am not yet born; provide me, with water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light in the back of my mind to guide me." From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
        john

Very interesting.

Wow, I love this! Are the faces stamped on? I’d call it The Crossing. Very impressive!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

cmallav

graphicali, very attractive and eye catching piece!

jimwhalen

The cruciform composition is one of my favorites and not easy to pull off as effectively as you have done here. Very strong piece.

The essential thing, for me, is to offer a visual expression of those things in our experience that words cannot express www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
                    Boafamily

Feels like a bird totem piece nice colors and textures.

Katie Black

I like where you are with this, but for me, it looks unfinished. This may be due to the cruciform composition.

The palette and colour mix I think is spot on.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Bilateral

This is fascinating and I’m always attracted to art that invites analysis.

I like the repetition with the dots in the gold and gray and the way they are a complement to the dots in the jester-cherub. I agree with Katie that it isn’t quite finished yet. Maybe some balance in the lower right?

I’m looking for a message across the facial images, aboriginal, jester/cherub, contemporary child. The jester/cherub is highly intriguing with the pattern of female body structures and repetition of the cruciform design in the stance. I’m going to keep looking at it for a while.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]“Do not fear mistakes - there are none.” Miles David

graphicali

Thank you so much to you all for your comments. :)

Kay, the clown is from a stamp that I scanned, enlarged slightly and then printed out. The other faces were photos that have been made into line art and then printed out. The resulting images were torn, pasted on, then glazed over with colour.

For the moment, I am calling it finished, although I may add a tad more colour bottom right but I shall decide in a day or two or maybe create another similar one and try on that.

"I am not yet born; provide me, with water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light in the back of my mind to guide me." From Prayer Before Birth by Louis Macneice.
                                    Eraethil

This is unique piece. A bit of a brain teaser for me. I am certain it will find someone who connects deeply with it for some reason that I can’t quite explain.

It does feel just a touch unresolved. Perhaps the border surrounding the collage elements is preventing the background from being integrated with the cruciform figure. You’ll figure out if it needs anything more. Good stuff!

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                        Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

graphicali

Thanks Rick! It was actually a practice piece. I used images that I had to hand but thè final version will have images of the relevant people and a meaning to the specific recipient.

I still thought it worth posting though to get reactions to the layout. I always prefer to see the reaction from people before they get an explanation, which can influence judgement.

Artchrispy

Nice collage. Are those portraits images that you printed and painted over did you find them in magazines as they appear? I like the composition a lot.

Christophervasil.com

graphicali

Thanks Christopher. The images were not originally as you see them, they were full colour photos. I converted them to line art before printing out. It works best with photos that have high contrast.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.