WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: How do you protect your wet painting while it dries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_K
Thanks.
Do those black bands that wrap around your system disturb the paint though?

No, the wet paint is on the inside. The only area that will have contact with the wet paint is the narrow rabbet cut on both sides of the wet panel carrier. I cut a 3/16" wide and deep notch in the ones I make which works with 1/8" and 1/4" panels. I use turn buttons to hold the painting in tighter so it can't fall out if you accidentally drop the carrier. If you carry several panel holders together the screws on the turn buttons can dig into the backs of the panels, so the rubber bands are better in that regard. Do remember that it will take a longer time for your paintings to dry if you keep them in these, but they will eventually. Be sure to wipe the wet paint off the contact edges or they will end up being glued into the carrier if you leave them that way for an extended time frame. You can line the rabbets with electricians or clear packing tape to help prevent this.

Some videos on how to make your own wet panel carriers:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+panel+carrier

Retaining rubber bands. Kind of spendy but they look pretty tough. That seller has several sizes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grifiti-Ban...s/111476543542

Trash can bag retaining rubber bands will work. They stretch quite a bit so these 8" ones would work on almost any sized panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Coopay-Elasti...452542&sr=8-16

100 Black Plated Ridged Picture Frame Turn Button 1 with Black Screws by AMS
https://www.amazon.com/Plated-Ridged.../dp/B01L4QOHPW

Last edited by contumacious : 01-19-2020 at 12:57 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2020, 02:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

I just ordered some of these 20 inch velcro straps to try out for holding panels in my panel holders. At 20" they should work up to the 9" dimension for 9x12s. You can chain them together for larger panels. They should have less flex than rubber bands and thus a better chance of not allowing the panels to pop out of the carrier. I will let you know how well they work. At less than 30 cents each, pretty hard to beat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Quantity...72.m2749.l2649
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 AM
Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I'm wondering why you are banished to the garage? Is it the odor of the paints and mediums? I have a similar situation with a family of sensitive noses. I have switched to odorless mineral spirits and avoid the more smelly mediums. I place my paintings in progress against the wall facing inward to avoid bumps and there isn't much of a noticeable odor. It's a compromise that works - at least in my home.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 05:03 AM
Southern NJ

Hails from United States

I bought a couple of large cardboard movers' boxes at U-Haul and ran some wire from side to side to keep some "air" between canvases or boards I intend to save. On-edge they sit closed in a quiet corner of the garage, and so far I haven't punched any holes in the boxes that might allow dust to infiltrate...other than for the wires. Once they're "cured" they go in the basement, ...or into the bin.

Whatever fumes out-gas, I'd rather it be in the garage than the basement where the HVAC unit and ducts run. My buckets of kitty-litter for painting water, brush cleaning water and solvents sits right next to them. I don't want them in my septic system.

Last edited by Ted Bunker : 02-06-2020 at 05:13 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2020, 10:13 AM

I use an empty, clean pizza box. Pizza Hut will give you one for free, just for asking. When I paint plein air I donít use any support larger than a large pizza. Keeping the box flat is not tricky at all. In my mind I picture worse-case scenarios like the painting falling face down inside the box after a moment of dropping-clumsiness, one of my specific clumsy specialties, but by the time Iíve painted an hour or more Iím hyper-aware of the pizza box and the chance of dropping it are very slim. No problems in the real world, just in my head. Such is life.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2020, 04:41 PM
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMaurice
I use an empty, clean pizza box. Pizza Hut will give you one for free, just for asking. When I paint plein air I donít use any support larger than a large pizza. Keeping the box flat is not tricky at all. In my mind I picture worse-case scenarios like the painting falling face down inside the box after a moment of dropping-clumsiness, one of my specific clumsy specialties, but by the time Iíve painted an hour or more Iím hyper-aware of the pizza box and the chance of dropping it are very slim. No problems in the real world, just in my head. Such is life.

Push-pins in the very corners of the art will save the painting from face-planting in case of a bad drop or even laying it edgewise.