Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical MAY Plant Parade Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Welcome to the May Plant Parade Challenge. :wave:

This Month I’m Hosting the Challenge, and I’m going to try something a little bit different for this Challenge. So the Title of the May Plant Parade Challenge is:
    ”The Weather is the reason for the Season”
    Which means; In the Northern Hemisphere it is Spring , so we will have SPRING FLOWERS & FOLIAGE for those of you living in the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE
    and AUTUMN FLOWERS & FOLIAGE for those members living in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE

Photos taken last Spring of Spring Flowers from my garden[/B]

Pink Bergenia

Red Trillium

And of course what would Spring be without Daffodils!

Lily of the Valley

And as at this time in the Southern Hemisphere, we are in Autumn – here’s some photos taken recently for you

Autumn Leaves

Rowan Berries

Windfall Apples from my Apple Tree

And the beautiful Autumn Trees in Arrowtown, New Zealand, Main Street

Members are welcome to use any of my images to paint from either Spring or Autumn Seasons, (it doesn’t matter which part of the world they live) and of course they can also use their own or from the RIL

NOW; and I’m sure you’ve all been waiting for this – here’s the EXTRA CHALLENGE FOR MAY; Make your own GREENS instead of using tube color greens. You can use Sap Green as a base, if you want too, but do add other colors to it if you use it, as it tends to look too raw by itself. Tell us which colors you used to make your GREEN[/COLOR]

Don’t forget “Reveal Day” is the 25th May, so no posting your results until then, but you are most welcome to chat about the Challenge or ask any questions at any time before then. You may use any painting/drawing medium for your artwork entries.

Have fun and looking forward to seeing your entries on the 25th May

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Lovely references! Thanks for hosting, Vivien!

Christel

Thanks Christel! I guess you are in Autumn in South Africa at this time of the year? Fascinating isnt the way we are all in opposite Seasons depending on where we live in the world!

I bet it’s warmer in NZ than here in the UK at the moment Viv ……. my hands are blue -can I mix blues instead?:lol:
    Thanks for the added colour challenge – greens really do challenge me!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Ladysue

Love it! What a great challenge. I may try to draw outside from life. IF the weahter allows. Spring is late and cold up here this year. I’ll really try to find time for this one. Thanks for hosting Vivian!

Ladysue

Good ones, Viv, even the autumn ones look inviting on this the first day of May. You live in a beautiful place. Our weather here is so awful with high winds, sand, NO rain since January…to be in the 90s F. today and tomorrow so high fire danger. Your challenge is super! Love to mix my own greens.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viv, what a great idea and love all the choices for the northern and southern climates. May try both. Thanks for hosting.

LIL

Maureen, Kay, LadySue and Lil – glad you like the challenge! And yes you may choose either Season no matter where in the world you live. Blue hands or green hands….get those hands painting! :thumbsup: :) :) :thumbsup:

It’s been a really strange year of weather for the whole world!
        With substantial snow for lots of countries in the Northern Hemisphere.
        But here in the South of the world, we’ve had a wonderful Summer, high temps, and beautiful weather in the first months of Autumn. But at last the temps have dropped and we are getting more rain as we go into Winter, and light falls of snow on the mountains.

My garden doesn’t know which Season it’s in! I’ve got some of my Dahlias still flowering (but looking very dilapidated) and my Nerine Lilies have been flowering early, for the last month as well. Usually my Nerines are the last plant to flower in my garden as we head into Winter, but to have Dahlias and Nerines both flowering at the same time is very unusual!

Here’s my Nerine Lilies

Those nerines are gorgeous Viv – I lost mine :( ……….. should buy now for later in the year!
        Yours look very happy!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Maureen – wish I could give you some of my Nerines as I have huge clumps of them everywhere.
        Every year my white Nerines always flower first and as they are beginning to fade my pink nerines come into bloom. But not this year. For the first time – ever – both colors began flowering at the same time! They dont know what to do this year. Its our strange weather, isnt it!

Vivien, Just want to say that your flowers are gorgeous. Wish I had a garden but as I live in the city, my only garden is the window sill although I do have some african violets and other plants too. I get the sun all day in the summer months since I’m facing west and the plants bloom like crazy. I even have basil too.

LIL

Lil – Thank you! Ive always spent many hours in my garden, which is a large country garden. Its becoming too much for me now Im older, but I do love my garden!

Basil is so handy isnt it! Down here in the South the Basil Herb doesnt do well in my garden so I grow it in a pot on my window-sill. But this time of the year its beginning to fade and die off. Our colder months must be too cold for Basil. Ive never been succesful growing it. Other herbs such as Parsley, Thyme and Mint flourish – especially Mint!

Triduana

I would love to take part this month! This is a really good subject Viv. Spring has been delayed in Scotland – I was caught out in a blizzard last week! But things are starting to come to life. Still waiting to see if my apple tree will have flowers but I’ll have a go at painting it if it does :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Kay M – Would love to see a painting of your Apple Tree, sounds good!
            Goodness a Blizzard so late in the year. The weather is crazy now isn’t it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.