Home Forums The Town Center All Media Art Events WDE Dec 7 – Rocking Horse (stage 1)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mbeckett

i am calling this stage 1 rather than WIP because i am not sure how this is going to work out or how far i’ll get …

i started with the intention of just making my usual watercolor art card, but as i kept trying to frame the horse (with the other Christmas-y stuff) in the composition, as per the challenge, i started thinking that this would make a neat linocut. now last summer i took a course in linocut and haven’t done a thing with it, so i figured it was time. i have no idea how long the carving will take, but the drawing was about 1 1/2 hours and fiddling with a scan to give it the black border and reversing the image (so it comes out the right way on the print) took about 1/2 hour.

the sketch was done with a Tombow pen at 2.5 x 3.5 inches (will be size of linoprint) on computer paper. this is the drawing prepared for transferring to the lino.

Mike
        Etsy eBay
        Said Hamlet to Ophelia, ”I'll draw a sketch of thee;
        What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?”
        Spike Milligan

Signchick

Oh, Mike, you are very ambitious! I can’t wait to see the results. The sketch is wonderful!

Beth
            Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. - Samuel Ullman 1920

Shanec

A great start.

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

ConnieT

What a great inspiration! Honestly, I’m dying to see how this turns out; I love linoprint art. You’ve set a challenge for yourself, but I’m sure the result will be beautiful.

ConnieT[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

In a world where you can be anything... be kind. :heart:

rozzi

Oh wow! This definitely is a work in progress and one to watch 👍

Comments welcome and critiques greatly appreciated :D
                        Ros
                        My Blog ***My Flickr Site***Instagram

eyepaint

Great start! Any chance you could photograph the tools you use? I’m keen to see this in action :)

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

BUN201

Very ambitious project! Great drawing. I’d be interested in seeing how it’s done.

Bunny

http://bunnygriffeth.com

So impressive, Mike! We will stay tuned.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

123harry

Great idea. I look forward to seeing the end result.

C&C always welcome.
                                    Instagram harry.hamill

ams

Nice start Mike. This should be interesting.

Anne

Anne
                                        C & C always welcome.
                                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/wip-still-life-with-purple-underpainting/

tyree

wow Mike…will love the see the following stages ! tyree :wave:

'art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known'.....oscar wilde

Clea

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the prints!

I’m really keen to see how this goes Mike – super drawing to start with – lots of cutting to do – have you worked out your solid areas?:)

I still have a set of cutters – occasionally made my Christmas cards from cutting but it’s a laborious job printing a lot! :lol: … one or two , OK!

Keep going – and be careful!:lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

mbeckett

I’m really keen to see how this goes Mike – super drawing to start with – lots of cutting to do – have you worked out your solid areas?:)

I still have a set of cutters – occasionally made my Christmas cards from cutting but it’s a laborious job printing a lot! :lol: … one or two , OK!

Keep going – and be careful!:lol:

i am initially going to treat it as a line drawing, although maybe vertical hatched dark fireplace bricks and dark inside the fireplace. will play it by ear on the first one.

someone wanted to see the tools? ok… :)

i will work from left to right in the photo…

on the far left is the lino. the gray sheets are 4 x 6″ ‘Easy-To-Cut Lino’, which is what i will try this project on. the brown sheet with the carving is what we used in the lino cutting course last summer. it is real lino with a reinforced back. you can see a few ‘oops’ in the cutting, but overall, wasn’t that bad to work with. there is a 3rd type which is even softer, but more spongy and probably won’t handle detail well. you can get sheets in a variety of sizes.

it is hard to notice, but they are sitting on top of a metal plate that hangs over the edge of the desk and stabilizes the lino while you are carving. it is also supposed to work as an area to roll out the ink. we will find out about that!

you can see the the little cutter kit i got online. comes with the blades and handles and also works as a baren. and again, i haven’t used it yet. the baren is used to rub the back of the paper over the linocut after it is inked. i also have a little speedball lino cutter (which seems to be more common locally), which is essentially the same thing without the baren part. if you don’t have a baren, the back of a spoon will work (which is what we did in the class). none of this stuff is very expensive. the cutting kit was only $10 CDN.

so i guess stage 2 will be the cutting and stage 3 will be the printing. i will give you guys an update on rollers, ink and paper when i get that far. my typing fingers are giving out.

and i see you guys are going to hold me to this project! :p i hope my fumbling fingers can handle the cutting! :eek:

Mike
                                                    Etsy eBay
                                                    Said Hamlet to Ophelia, ”I'll draw a sketch of thee;
                                                    What kind of pencil shall I use? 2B or not 2B?”
                                                    Spike Milligan

ConnieT

Wow, looks like you are well set up for the task.

Don’t stress over our hopes and expectations for this piece, Mike; just do what is comfortable for you. I would take it slow and easy. That lino cutting is tough, I remember from years ago when I did it in a class. But then the actual printing is sooo much fun! :thumbsup:

ConnieT[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]

In a world where you can be anything... be kind. :heart:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.