WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 AM
rural NY state

Hails from United States
As beutiful as Mom

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: As beutiful as Mom
Year Created:
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have a neighbor who really really inspires me her outlooks and or opinions intrigue me and so I decided to do a quick portrait of her daughter with a reference she posted at an online network site.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I wish I was able to post the reference photo but as it isnt mine I cannot,however the perspective was tougher than it looked I feel somethings just not right, but cannot place it this child is looking up kinda hanging back from a railing, so suject is looking up and tilting toward the camera. I dont know any feedback?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Montreal

Hails from Canada
Re: As beutiful as Mom

When a face is on an angle, it must be more difficult to do but you seem to have done it well. Too bad we can't see the original photo. I like it, I like the composition, and the eyes are very expressive. Nice work.
Judith
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
A Local Legend
Ukiah California

Hails from United States

can you discern the slight shading of the background I have added (marked by the X's) it tends to add weight and dimension to the head.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM
rural NY state

Hails from United States

I do wish I had gone with this approach but this afternoon I added more to it with shoulders a bit of arm a very overdone background and now the perspective looks awful I think its right but its one of those photos with the face almost in the lens and the body just shrinks ah ya win some ya loose some mabey Ill post the end result with a face that looks like a sticker on the rest of the composition?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 AM
rural NY state

Hails from United States
messed up adding to much

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 03:10 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

I don't think you have messed it up Amy Lynn although it is kind of hard to see with the small picture. Your portraits are beautiful .....you have a wonderful talent!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Immortalized
Hamilton NJ

Hails from United States

Quote:
the perspective was tougher
Yes it is.
Is the reference foto a flash?
In order to get the perspective right, you'll need more value changes than you now have.
As it is, the mouth and chin seem disprortionately small, and the upper areas seem disproportionately large.
It's well rendered but until that problem is solved, you'll be struggling with this one.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2009, 09:11 AM
rural NY state

Hails from United States

The photo was from an online album in a networking site, I really loved this little girls shockingly beutiful eyes in the picture but it was an outdoor picture done in a lot of light w/ white clothing there was not enough shadow to really even find the underside of the left of nose, I think that the perspective as in the shapes and sizes are a close match to the reference but looseing the color and working in graphite not a good match to the reference as I keep practiceing I will make better decisions, and maybe take creative liberty adjusting the composition and tones to better suit the finished work. I think I will request a new reference photo and capture the girl better next time..... I finally ordered artist pencils, and papers its really hard to capture a range of darks and lights w/ a hb#2 out of the kids school stash. Excuses excuses, I am so grateful for Wet canvas its such a wonderful way to learn and grow it feels like I am in a class and I cant tell you how inspireing it has been to hear from and view the work of other artists! sorry to be so long winded and thankyous arent enough!