WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southwest Georgia (Columbus) on the banks of the Chattahoochee River

Hails from United States
Shutterbug Pub Daily, Friday, August 16, 2019

Good morning all. The weekend is upon us. Later this morning DW and I will be driving West to drop her off at her sister's while I go on to Huntsville, Al.

I was notified a couple of days ago that 2 of my entries submitted to a competition (Oatland Island Wildlife) have been accepted for display. Only 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Honorable Mention photos are displayed, so I know mine will be at least H.M. The awards ceremony will be Sept 28 at the center, which is near Savannah.

No photo from me this morning. Must go and finish getting ready for the drive now.
Nikon Z 6, D500, and D7000. Nikkor 28-300, 16-80, 35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/4 S, 14-30mm f/4 S, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and 150-600mm f5-6.3, YN468-II Speedlite, Adobe Lightroom CC Classis and 6, Adobe Elements 14, Adobe Photoshop CC, Topaz suite.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Shutterbug Pub Daily, Friday, August 16, 2019

Morning, Don.
Congrats.
This is great news.

Thanks or starting the daily for us. Going to get up and start working on painting our side door. Need to run out first and get some supplies first.

Be back later when I can upload a photo.
Lorell
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Good morning All
Congrats on the photo Competition Don. Good going!
Off to HAM Fest? We were thinking about it, but its a 4+ hr drive.
(and the heat) Have fun!
Lorell

Old Barn (zzzz)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southwest Georgia (Columbus) on the banks of the Chattahoochee River

Hails from United States

Quote:
Off to HAM Fest? We were thinking about it, but its a 4+ hr drive.

About the same for me, but as mentioned I will drop DW off in B'ham then drive on up to the Hamfest. Spend tonight in Huntsville and come back to B'ham tomorrow night. Only about 3 hours from there back home, and DW gets to visit with her sister. Hoping to get on the road by 10 AM but that isn't happening. About to head out the door though. Stopping for peaches along the way too.
Nikon Z 6, D500, and D7000. Nikkor 28-300, 16-80, 35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/4 S, 14-30mm f/4 S, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and 150-600mm f5-6.3, YN468-II Speedlite, Adobe Lightroom CC Classis and 6, Adobe Elements 14, Adobe Photoshop CC, Topaz suite.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Have a safe and fun trip, Don!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:34 AM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Congratulations on having your photos accepted, Don. Drive safely.

Hi Lorell. I have no shortage of tasks and repairs that I need to take care of. Plumbing, painting, replacing a garage door spring, protecting my tomatoes from whatever critter is taking them before I can harvest any, building some sort of rack to hold a set of new pans. weeding - the list just keeps growing.

Neat old barn, Damar. Would be a good subject for a painting.

Some shots from yesterday's walk with Pippin...

1) Lawn Sculpture

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot @ 122mm, manual mode, 1/1250 sec, f/6.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Because this is such a dark object that was backlit, it took a lot of processing to tease out details.

2) California Skipper

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot @ 195mm, manual mode, 1/1250 sec, f/6.3, ISO 450, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

I did some research to identify this as a California Skipper. During that research I learned that even though skippers look more like moths, they're actually classified as butterflies.

3) Iron Butterfly

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot @ 195mm, manual mode, 1/2500 sec, f/6.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Another dark and backlit subject. I couldn't resist the title - it took me back ("In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida") to my college days in the 60s and 70s.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited by droll13 : 08-16-2019 at 11:55 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Hails from United States

I'm back. I have my first coat of paint on the door and just waiting an hour now before I can spray on the second coat. Then I will be done with that. I am so happy I tackled this job. It is going to look so nice when it is all done. It is a white metal storm door that had developed specks of rust. I have no idea why that happened. Buy I am hoping that my paint job lasts a while.

Damar,
Great looking old barn. It looks like it has plenty of years left in its future too.
Thanks for sharing.

Dave,
Hey Guy. I feel better after reading your "to do" list, because I have ONE LESS on my list now! When you own a house, there is always something to do. I was just thinking, when I lived in an apartment, I never experienced that feeling.

I really like the California Skipper photo with the combination of the orange and purple colors. The sprinkler head is also very cool. It has nice textures and an interesting and creative sprinkler head.

Well,
Time to put the second coat of paint on the door.
I have no barn to share. How about an old school house?

You all have a good start to your weekend.
Lorell
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Hi Dave!
I just love the big eyes that skippers have!
Love the Iron Butterfly!
Inna-Gada-Davida...LOL...a little rusty there...

Pretty school house Lorell; have you ever been inside?
I guess we can apply Alice Coopers, "Schools Out For Summer"

My barn would probably fit in with a Neil Young song...?

Post your Woodstock pics if you have them!
(just kidding, none of us are that old!)

Last edited by damar : 08-16-2019 at 12:46 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 02:04 PM
A Local Legend
Northern California mountains

Hails from United States

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Hails from United States

Damar, No, I have never been inside. I think the date on the building is 1867 or sometime near then.

Deb,
Pretty purples and greens. My neighbor invited me to take photos of her purple flowers that look like that. They are so pretty and delicate.

Doors done but what a mess to clean up.
I was real happy with how softly the spray paint came out of the can. It was so cool and did such a nice job of painting the door with a professional quality look. I took at least an hour to spread drop clothes and tape up everything around the door but since it was a door and there was a slight breeze coming at me from the outside, it blew the billowy paint spray into the house. It was alike a fog blowing in. Oh my, I just finished washing the floor table, counters, basement stairs to get all the fine WHITE paint off the surface of everything. IF my husband was home, I would have had him take the door off its hinges and would have sprayed it in the garage as it rested on sawhorses, but he is away for a few days and I decided to tackle this long overdue project without him. Besides the fumes would have killed him. He always tells me that I am try to kill him when I burn scented candles, use essential oils, etc.

Well, now I am going to rest since I have been working on this project since 8 a.m. when I ran out to buy Frog tape, drop cloths, etc.

Lorell

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 08-16-2019 at 03:02 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 05:34 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Hi Deb!
Pretty lavender flower tops!
Wildflowers?
I have no idea what kind they are, but they are delicate looking.

End of summer months here we get some pretty flowering weeds along the roadsides;
not the safest place to be with a camera! But I'll be keeping my eye out for
some pretties, cause I don't have much to shoot around my yard.
(just knock out roses right now)

Lorell,
Well, glad you are happy with your paint job, despite the clean up!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:08 PM
A Local Legend
Northern California mountains

Hails from United States

The purple flower is a perennial, I don't remember what it's called but it blooms from spring through summer here and the butterflies love it.

Don- Congrats! That's exciting!!

Hi Patty- Beautiful neat old barn! I have a love for barns and rust so this is a winner to me.

Dave- Looks like you've been having some fun in the yard!

Lorell- Sounds like you've had a productive day. The old school house crop and lighting is very interesting. Enjoy relaxing now.

Fair is in town, little town so it's a big deal. I may take the camera but I just hate lugging it around these days even though the new Sony is way lighter than my old Canon. Have a great weekend everyone.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Love that white schoolhouse, Lorell. Looks like maybe you added a touch of glow to it - nice! And congrats on getting your door repainting project done.

Thanks Damar. I'm old enough to have attended Woodstock. I couldn't make that happen, but I did attend a Judy Collins concert in a natural outdoor amphitheater in the Midwest. I also saw The Beatles in old Crosley Field in Cincinnati (terrible acoustics, but it didn't matter because you couldn't hear any of the music above the screams of thousands of 12 year old girls). And I just missed B.B. King and Jefferson Airplane in concert: both played at my college a couple of months before I arrived. (Also missed by a month or two a lecture/presentation by Louis Leakey - I would have enjoyed that.)

Lovely photo, Deb. Yes, I had fun with my camera, but the photos came from neighbor's yards.