WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Member News and Events > Membership Professional News
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2015, 08:15 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico & New Brunswick

New Book!

Here's my new book! OUTDOOR STUDY TO STUDIO: TAKE YOUR PLEIN AIR PAINTINGS TO THE NEXT LEVEL.

If you're like me, you may sometimes feel your plein air work could be better. It may be a problem with composition. It may be a problem with color or mark-making. It may even be a problem you can't quite pin down. In many cases, we can blame the environment. Fast-changing light, gusty wind, mosquitoes, nosy tourists or just the tiring nature of painting outdoors will prevent you from doing your best work.

I've found that the studio is the perfect place to work out my plein air problems. Rather than try to create a "finished" painting in the field, I'll just gather reference material. These color studies, drawings and photographs don't require any commitment to a finished piece. This means I can take a more relaxed and thus enjoyable approach to the field work. Then, back in the studio, I have the freedom to enlarge my canvas, widen my scope and deepen my thinking. I can create a much more satisfying painting.

In the book, which I wrote as a supplement to Backpacker Painting: Outdoors with Oil & Pastel, I show several methods, illustrated with plenty of demonstrations and examples, that will help you improve your own work. None of this means, of course, that you have to give up plein air painting! In fact, the things you learn in the studio will also help you in the field. As they say, one practice informs the other.

The book is now available through Amazon.com in both print and Kindle versions.

114 full-color pages, with 146 images and 13 demonstrations in oil and pastel.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States
Re: New Book!

Congratulations! It looks packed full of info as well as your beautiful work.

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

It looks like it might be interesting, but the snippet of "look inside" doesn't say much. Has Amazon stopped permitting authors to reveal as much as they want in those previews?

R/Mike
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2015, 03:10 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico & New Brunswick

It's automatic now, and I don't have any control over how the preview looks.